main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your Musical Power Hour?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Penguinator, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    Light and Day :The Polyphonic Spree
    Just a happy dance around and sing-along song. And the orchestra, WOW!!

Santa-Fe:Rent-The Motion Picture
    Haven't we all wanted to run away and open up a small business with our significant other.

I'll Cover You:Rent-The Motion Picture
    Just a pure fun romantic Ballad about love and loyalty.

I Can Only Imagine:Taken from John Tesh Worship at Red Rocks
    Praise to the LORD JESUS CHRIST!!! I pick this version because of the awesome Lead Vocals of Christina Rasch.

You Are Good:John Tesh-Worship at Red Rocks
    PRAISE TO THE LORD JESUS CHRIST!!!

Convoy:CW McCall
    I grew up with this song. 'Nuff Said

Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life:Monty Python(Eric Idle)
    Because life is quite absurd!

The Saga Begins/Yoda:Weird Al Yankovic
    Like Corned Beef on Rye. You can't have one without the other.

Victory Celebration/Throne Room Finale:John Williams
    Oh to be able to edit my two favorite S/W pieces together with the ANH End Credits.

Star Wars:Main Theme
    A perfect film overture if ever there was one.

So Young:The Corrs
    You just gotta love the music

Comfortably Numb:From the Roger Waters Berlin Concert
    Pure bliss with Van Morrison doing the Chorus

This is just what leapt to mind after reading the above lists.

2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It's a tough choice, but I decided to choose those songs that I can listen to over and over again without getting bored, and I've done that with some of these songs. I have also not mentioned any of my favourite Swedish songs.

Nightwish - Sleeping Sun- Nothing better to start off with than something symphonic yet rocky.
    Dolores Keane - Solid ground- In order to get the beat up a bit, some Irish folk rock.
    Gary Moore - Over the hills and far away- The first time I played this was also the first time I realised how much fun you can have with a violing in a rock band.
    Spandau Ballet - Gold - My favourite Spandau Ballet, it always gets me in a good mood.
    A-ha - Take on me - Probably the best pop song ever written, I just feel like starting to jump around all over the place when I hear it.
    Dschingis Khan - Dschingis Khan - In every playlist you need a really crazy song, and what's better than German 70's disco about Mongolians.
    Alphaville - Big in Japan - Maybe the second best song from the 80's, if I still like if after having written my thesis for my bachelor degree to it on repeat, then I will never get bored by it.
    Pet Shop Boys - Suburbia - I like PSB, and it was hard to just choose one song, but this was probably one of my first favourites with them, and I still like it.
    U2 - Stuck in a moment - One of my two "feel good"-songs. Whenever I feel that I need to get things done I listen to it for some inspiration. For some reason I always felt that it says "you are stuck in a moment, but you can blame yourself and only you can help yourself up again". There also needs to be a slow song before the last one.
    Bryn Terfel - Leb wohl, du kühnes, herrliches Kind - I'm an opera lover and in order to just choose one piece I went with this one since it's 16 minutes long and contains most of the things that make Wagner a good composer. I also want it sung by the world's best baritone singer, Bryn Terfel.

3. Jaden-Skywalker

Jaden-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 13, 2004
    Rage Against the Machine's debut album.

"Bombtrack"
    "Killing in the Name"
    "Take the Power Back"
    "Settle for Nothing"
    "Bullet in the Head"
    "Know Your Enemy"
    "Wake Up"
    "Fistful of Steel"
    "Township Rebellion"
    "Freedom"

52:48 in total.

Every song is so powerful and really gets you going. Go for a drive, put this on and turn it up. You'll see just why this is the perfect hour of music.

Unless you think Rage Against the Machine are terrorists :p

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Too much to choose for just one hour.

5. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Oh, you can do it. It's not easy, but you can do it. :p

6. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    You know, people are entitled to thier opinions and all, but I seriously don't care at all for the Comfortably Numb versions back on the first page.

I own the "Pulse" concert on tape, and the live version done there gains on the outro solo, but it lacks Roger's menacing voice, which makes it pretty much even with the album version or thier live versions back in the '80s.

And I absolutely CAN'T STAND the Van Morrison version from the Berlin concert. This time Gilmour is missing... in the Pulse concert the person singing Roger's lines makes a valiant attempt at mimicing Water's 'evil' demeanor. Doesn't make it, but it's a try. But Morrison can't hope to copy Gilmour's sense of vulnerability. Van Morrison does what he does well, but he can't sing Floyd at ALL. His voice is too grounded, and way too masculine. I heard that version in the movie "The Departed" and I was like "WHAT"? Just use the original, it's so much better!

The best version I've heard probably not by the Floyd lineup was when the Scissor Sisters covered it, and it sounded NOTHING like the original. Now THAT was awesome. Just throw the whole thing out, crank yourself up on crack cocaine, and do a DANCE version! Brilliant!

(This post is not intended to encourage fellow posters to indulge in crack, freebase or any other type of cocaine, which should be discouraged. Additionally, no animals were hamed in the posting of this message)

7. SionsBrother

SionsBrother Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 26, 2006
    Requiem - Trivium
    Fixation on the Darkness - Killswitch Engage
    Through Struggle - As I Lay Dying
    Black Dog - Led Zeppelin
    The Deepest Gray - All That Remains
    Endless - Unearth
    The Trooper - Iron Maiden
    Through the Fire and Flames - DragonForce
    Runes to My Memory - Amon Amarth
    Black Label - Lamb of God
    Welcome Home - Coheed & Cambria (Even though this one doesn't fit in with the others, I love it when they trade off guitar solos)

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I like too many different types of music. Can't be done. :p

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I *could* do a Power Hour in certain genres...

10. bowieslefteye

bowieslefteye Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2003
    Rosetta
    The Galilean Satellites: Disc 1

Extremely powerful "songs about a space man." as the liner notes put it.

11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I'm ready to re-do.

1 - Have A Cigar - Pink Floyd - I don't know why I like this. Maybe it's the rhythm guitar...

2 - Reise, Reise - Rammstein - Nothing gets me pumped quite like German hard rock.

3 - Swallow The Razor - Rock and roll choir. Need I say more?

4 - Malignant Narcissism - Rush - Instrumental that sounds like a modern YYZ.

5 - Hope - Rush - I should say by Lerxst Lifeson, as he did all by his own self.

6 - K'm-Pee-Du-Wee - Steve Vai - Odd name for an odd song. Well, relatively odd. It is Vai.

7 - Colony of Birchmen - Mastodon - Good chugging riff that keeps going throughout.

8 - Blood and Thunder - Mastodon - Awesome in general. Another great riff.

9 - Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix - Why'd it have to be so short?

10 - Castles Made of Sand - Jimi Hendrix - This got me into Hendrix. I love it.

11 - Someone's in the Wolf - Queens of the Stone Age - Riff-tastic.

12 - Witchcraft - Wolfmother - It has a Ron Burgundy-style jazz flute solo.

13 - Walkin' the Boogie - John Lee Hooker - Blues at it's best.

14 - Los - Rammstein - German hard rock blues at it's best.

15 - Molossus - Hans Zimmer - The lone classical sounding thing I have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.