main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Your Opening to Episode VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by BowtiesAreCool, Nov 3, 2012.

?

What is a planet (besides Coruscant) you'd like to see return in Episode VII?

1. Tatooine

36.4%
  2. Naboo

27.3%
  3. Mustafar

9.1%
  4. Bespin

27.3%
  1. BowtiesAreCool

BowtiesAreCool Jedi Padawan

Nov 2, 2012
    Like many people here I am very excited for the next chapter of Star Wars, and I am certain that whatever story they come up with will be very interesting. However, we know next to nothing about the film at this stage, so speculation is all we have. I thought it would be fun to post your ideas of how you would open Star Wars Episode VII. I'll start:

After the opening titles, the camera pans down to a small fighter (X-Wing? Something new?) traveling through the blackness of space. The ship goes past the camera and the shot follows it until you see a gigantic gas planet, and orbiting it is the volcanic world of Mustafar.

We descend through the clouds with the ship until it lands in a charred clearing (not the same place from Episode III but maybe close to it). A lone hooded figure steps out of the ship and walks to the edge of the clearing, to a precipice. The person removes the hood and we realize it is a grey haired, aging Jedi. It is Luke Skywalker. Luke continues to take in the hellish landscape, and then finally closes his eyes and bows his head.

"Father. Can you hear me? We haven't spoken in a very long time. I am finally here. I've put it off for far too long, I know. Father?"

The voice of Anakin is heard, as if carried on the wind. "Luke. You have come to the the place where the last vestiges of who I was once was was burned away. You will never fully understand why I did what I did, nor should you. You had the chance to make the same mistakes I did, but you didn't. And that's what's important."

And so on and so forth. Something like that. I figured Mustafar was the final place Luke wanted to go to understand his father and what he went through, and it took him a long time to go there, as it was the most painful for both him and the spirit of his father. I thought after this conversation, Luke gets a message from someone from Coruscant about whatever the crisis is (the overall plot of the movie). It's just a way to reconnect with Luke, his father, and the journey they both went through.

Anyone else have ideas on how you would open the next Star Wars movie?

Paparazzo and Team Padme like this.
  2. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Crawl Ends.

Lead in to pitch darkness, but with faint hints of light and reflections. Brief burst of engine noise. More faint hints of light and reflections, more noise erupts. Sounds of struggle and iridescent glowing leads the viewer to find out that they are NOT in space but are looking at some gelatinous liquid.

Engine sounds once more and kicks in high gear. It is a jetpack engine at full strength.

Visual changes to outside of the Sarlacc Pit on Tattooine, and bursting out from its depths comes a ravaged Boba Fett. Exploding out through its head and killing the beast at the same time. Lying not to far from his former living prison, Boba activates the Slave I to arrive and pick him up.

Paparazzo and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  3. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Only I think another bounty hunter picks him up and the sarlacc does not die.

4. Lando8813

Lando8813 Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    Title crawl goes by than camera pans down into space and you start hearing a ship in the distance with some laser fire, the sound begins to get closer and closer, than you begin to see lasers go by on screen and than over the screen comes the Millennium Falcon being chased by a few fighters. I think that would be a cool way to open Episode VII.

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Corellia has left the alliance to fight an series of raiders and seperatists on their homeworld. Han Solo has left his rebel command and returned to aid his homeworld in their efforts.

Han and Chewie walk into a trap laid by a shadowy enemy. Han's Corellian command is wiped out, Solo dies, and Chewie walks out of the flaming remains of the crashed Falcon holding his fallen comrade in his arms.

6. Breebel

Breebel Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2012
    There's a reason why in the OT, Lucas made sure that the opening montage started with the Empire - every single movie started with a Star Destroyer so you knew 'these are the bad guys'.

Something like a Star Destroyer being chased the same way the Tantive IV was chased in ANH by a fleet of Mon Calamari cruisers would be a pretty cool throwback...have a bit of dialogue between Admiral Ackbar and General Calrissian who is leading the attack (I'm sure Billy Dee Williams would reprise the role) about how they are cleaning up the remnants of the Empire in this sector...and then all of a sudden a Super Star Destroyer drops out of hyperspace behind them, along with an entire fleet of other destroyers and wipes them all out. As the carnage ensues, with explosions in space and pilots/crew dying, the scene shifts to the bridge of the SSD...and the only sound you can hear is a faint orchestral number as the camera is fixed behind the command chair, where you can see the battle taking place through the bridge viewport. Then a hand reaches for a drink...and the hand is blue with the sleeve of a white uniform.

I'm not saying Thrawn should be the main bad guy - or that the Zahn books should be the basis for the movies - but he was too great a character not be used somewhere in the ST. When the Jedi are having their final battle in the last movie of the trilogy, there should be a 'regular' villain that the other heroes (the ones without Force powers) can take down at the same time.

7. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd start in the middle of some kind of action. Maybe a chase through space but with the dynamic flipped from ANH - ie our lead protagonist is piloting a fighter that's part of a squadron chasing a fleeing ship for whatever reason.

Or I'd love to start in the middle of our new Skywalker's jedi-trials.

8. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm holding out for a combination Ewok/Gungan picnic on Kashyyk with Mungo Baobab; but somehow I don't think I'm gonna get what I want...

9. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    It opens with a space battle involving the Milennium Falcon. A Wookiee howls in the copilot's seat and we immediately assumed that Han Solo has returned. But, cut to the pilot's seat and- surprise! Jaina Solo (or just a Solo kid) is piloting the ancient ship! Throw the audience into a complete 'what-the-heck?' moment and let things be revealed slowly over time.

FinleySlade likes this.