Your own personal SE!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DARTH LOEAK, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH LOEAK Jedi Master

star 2
    Now that the DVDs will feature new stuff added to the films, it made me think. What would I add or take out? So this thread is for any and everyone who has ideas of changes that could be made to the OT films. Then we can discuss fan ideas and our own.

RULES: If your a purist you can't say "Change it all back to the way it was." You also can't do thing crazy like rewrite the whole thing. If you do have an idea for an added scene or tweaking one you have to explain how it can be done. So no Han and Liea love scene.

So here's my changes:

ANH:
    -I'd put in and restore the footage of Luke looking up and seeing the space battle. And the whole Wedge thing. WHY: Well Lucas cut this stuff out because he wanted the story structure to have each character lead to the next. Well with Prequels out that structure doesn't need to be. We know thes characters, most are already introduced. So why not put it back in. It give Luke a solcial life. With good editing and transition it could work.

-New Death star introduction. I'd have a build up to the technological terror. I'd have the camera come up to a Stardestroyer as a shuttle comes out of it. The Camera would follow the shuttle to reveal the Death Star. Then a closeup of Vader inside the shuttle's cockpit looking on at the Death Star. Then cut to the shuttle landing and Vader walking out with a Princess Liea following. HOW: CGI, use Ep3 Vader suit, and have a Liea stand in out of focus.

-Jabba scene. I'd add a slave girl standing in the background and put in Bib Fortuna either with a new actor in make up or unused footage from ROTJ digitally place in the docking bay. Plus I'd add a slime trail following Jabba as he slithers. Oh, and I'd have Jabba respond to Han's "Good human being" remark with a subtitled "I'm a hutt,smugger poodoo."

-Death Star going into hyperspace. After Tarkin says set a course for Alderaan. Show the Death Star letting out a rocket and streaking into hyperspace.

-Alderaan surface. Add footage fo Bail (Jimmy Smits) talkign with advisors about his Daughter's capture when suddenly he is informed that a large ship has come out of hyperspace with out a signal. Then have Bail watch as the green ray blasts part of the surface and then cut to a better explosion of the planet.

-Rebel base: I'd add footage of the jungles of Yavin 4. Then add better effects to the Death Star briefing like ROTJ. Plus add in Admiral Ackbar and Mon Mothma, but simply watching the presentation.

-Darth Vader goes to Coruscant. After the Rebels cheer and such, before the end celebration I'd have Vader head to the Emperor's temple on Coruscant. It's important to show how coruscant has changed. Vader goes up to the Emperor.

Vader: My master, I have unsettleing news.

Palpatine: I have sensed it coming for some time. The Death sTar has failed me.

Vader: Tarkin's pride got the best of him.

Palpatine: This is still some use of the Death Star plans. However, we must rearange our priorities.

Vader: Yes, my master.

Palpatine: We msut find the one responsible for destorying the Death Star,

Vader: Intersepted tranmitions have confirmed that his name is...

Palpatine: Skywalker? (pause) Yes. So Amidala did give birth. Find him, but for now let the Rebels have their little victory.

I'll post my ESB post later. For now that it. What do you think. Post your ideas and critic others.

2. Master_Ripley Jedi Knight

star 1
    I love the dialogue with Vader and Palpy, sounds cool and easy to do.
    Aside from also adding in Lukes early footage, the other things seem a little far fetched.

Great idea with the ending, though.
  3. Wilhelm-Scream Jedi Youngling

star 3
    ANH - Leave in scene where Luke sees space battle
    - Of course Han shoots first
    - More menacing and less "Muppet Babies" looking Jabba
    - Show up close scenes of the destruction of Alderaan similar to scenes in Independence Day,wouldn't make sense because no characters were there,but would look cool and make the tragedy more palpable
    - get rid of the on/off half-assed English accents used by Leia and Darth Vader
    - Definitely CGI Dianoga!
    - Chewbacca gets a medal

ESB - CGI tauntaun
    - Bigger,scarier Wampa
    - Yoda not acting quite as goofy upon meeting Luke
    - Way more creatures on Dagobah,writhing all over the trees,etc.
    - facial motion on Bossk

ROTJ - Get rid of the stupid frog at the begining
    - Back to Lapti Nek but with CG...whatever the singer was called
    - CGI RANCOR instead of that stupid hand puppet one.
    - Use advanced CGI to make Carrie Fisher look as if she even gives a !@#$ about being in the movie at the end...also,she never gets a chance to change out of the metal bikini
    - Endor battle is almost exactly the same except all Ewoks are replaced with Wookies.Its a wookie battle and Ewoks never exsisted.
    - Hayden in old age make-up when Vader's unmasked and at end.

Then I'd be happy
  4. Master_Ripley Jedi Knight

star 1
    No problems with yours Wilhelm.
    Although you have to leave goofy Yoda. That was excellent. He's always so serious in the prequels, it's nice to see him have a little fun with Luke.
  5. gbonkers Jedi Knight

star 2
    I would leave all the effects of the Special Edition in, but DEFINATELY take out Greedo shoots first. I'm sorry when I first saw this in the theater back in '77, and Han did what he did, I was thinking "you green pile of scum, don't you even DARE thinking of messing with me..."

And it made Han seem more cool.

And, I this has always been a bother with me, on DVD editions. The edited scenes--put them back in order--we can just use the chapter numbers to skip them if they bothered us that much...
  6. EV-69 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'd keep all the changes made by the fifteen year mark

Adding "Episode IV: A New Hope" - 1981
    Adding C-3P0 talking about the tractor beam - 1992
    Adding "Close the blast door" line -1994

These are minor changes that were supposed to be in the original but didn't make it because of time constraints.

I have no quarrel with the special Ed but I want a choice of the originals and the SEs. I have both versions of ET but I never watch the special ed. When I watch the SpecEd of Et or SW, I'm going through the motions, it just doesn't feel right - watching the ones we grew up with is the right way to go.

Say there's an old toy that you loved. It was lost in time, broken, thrown away. You go to a store about twenty years later and find the same toy made a little bit different. It brings back memories but it's not the genuine article. Neither is SW special Edition. It's just not the same.
  7. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Pray that nobody finds and ups the older thread about this. I sure didn't find it.
    If it's found, this will become redundant.

My change: Have Piett survive the Battle of Endor.
  8. Darth_Kaan Jedi Knight

star 1
    Please note that this includes all FX tweaks like PT sabres, better lasers, etc.

ANH:
    -When Vader first appears on blockade runner, very faint imperial march.
    -Update Jabba's look.
    -Fix the greedo scene so it looks more realisitc.
    -Add some more CGI PT style shots of X-Wings and Ties going at it in the battle of Yavin.
    -Make Death Star's explosion more realistic
    -During the medal ceremony, CGI Luke's Lightsabre to his belt.

ESB:
    -CGI some blur to make the taun-tauns look more like actual creatures from a distant galaxy instead of a cheap claymation effect

-Make the battle of Hoth compare to Geonosis some; When we see the Imperial fleet approaching Hoth, show carriers holding the AT-AT's enter like the Trade Federation's ships did in TPM...during the battle, show SnowTroopers inside the 'belly' awaiting orders like we see in so many military style movies, then have them jump out the side on cords (rapeling (sp?) kinda?)
    then they engage in a ground battle with rebel troops, and make it utter chaos, but very nice action, and ofcourse when the troops bust in the base we need to see them destroy a door (ANH style) and storm in massacring rebels, and it is revealed to be the control room, and have vader look a round a bit then go on his normal raid.

-I honestly would not have Boba's voice redubbed, because I do not feel a clone of myself raised in India or Ireland or something would sound exactly like me jus cos he's a clone
    -Ian as emperor, I like the new dialogue.
    -KEEP the shuttle sequence from the SE's...it kicks ass.

ROTJ:
    -Re put in this rumored 'Sand Storm' scene ive been hearing bout...sounds cool.
    -more CGI effects in the space battle of Endor. In the ground battle, make MORE ewoks, and let them be more vicous in the fight, and get a whole bunch of rebel troops to actually fight in that thing too, instead of vanishing as they did in the movie.
    -Keep shaw as Anakin under the mask, CGI some scars on him.
    -Add Naboo to the planetary celebration montage.
    -put Hayden in the ghost scene ONLY if it can be accurately backed up by prequel plotline...wether you purists like it or not, this IS a saga.
  9. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    ANH:

-restore the original scene between Han and Greedo and have Han shoot first
    -fix Jabba's look - the CGI used in that scene looks too fake and the scene is very jerky - especially when Han walks around Jabba and steps on his tail

ESB:

-fix the Battle of Hoth - especially the see-through cockpits. This was claimed to be fixed for the SE, but you can still see through the speeders. It's not as noticable, but it's still there.
    -get rid of Luke's wimpy scream
    -restore the original footage of Vader leaving Cloud City("Bring my shuttle"). The new footage also disrupts with the pacing of the film.

ROTJ:

-get rid of the matte lines around the rancor and the fighters in the Battle of Endor

10. AH_Solid_Snake Jedi Knight

star 1
    The only problem with the initial post is this point

-Alderaan surface. Add footage fo Bail (Jimmy Smits) talkign with advisors about his Daughter's capture when suddenly he is informed that a large ship has come out of hyperspace with out a signal. Then have Bail watch as the green ray blasts part of the surface and then cut to a better explosion of the planet.

Bail cannot discuss Leias capture by vader because nobody knows she was, vader orders a signal telling the senate that all aboard the tantive IV were killed and an imperial officer comments that "holding her is dangerous, if word gets out it could generate sympathy for the rebellion in the senate."

So sure, show him pee himself when a big green beam comes out of the moon sized battlestation, but he doesnt know about Leia.
  11. DARTH LOEAK Jedi Master

star 2
    Ok, okay. Then have Bail morn his Daughter's death. And have an advisor comfort him by saying, "She's too important to be killed. The Empire has her." Or somthing to that effect.

I like the idea of the CGI Dionaga. I'd also add prequel alien to the Cantina. Plus I'd like to have an arial shot of the destoryed Jawa sand crawler.

Chewy needs a metal, and it sounds like a good idea for Luke to have a saber. He's proud to show it now.

Greedo shooting first doesn't bother me, but it does a alot of fans, so I'd change it back Han shooting first.

But we NEED to see the Death Star go into hyperspace!!!
    We need a BETTER Death Star intro!!!
    We need it!!!
    The Death Star is nothing more than a lame mat painting. It needs to be brought to life and be in our faces.
  12. mikadojedi Force Ghost

star 4
    My 2 cents:

ANH:
    -Han shoots first
    -Jabba, use TPM CG model
    CHEWIE DOES NOT I REPEAT DOES NOT GET A MEDAL. (It would ruin the only time I cried during an MTV show of any kind. I'd just watched ANH before the movie awards. I hope that segment makes it on the ANH DVD)
    -Use the Imperial March in all it's glory. (So what if it's a reworking of Spoon Full of Sugar from Mary Poppins)
    -Fix the bloody lightsabers. How the hell did that get overlooked I will never know.
    -Great idea for Palps and Vader, taking place before the medal ceremony.
    ESB:
    -IAN IAN IAN
    -Keep yoda as is. I am sure he was acting crazy.
    -No more Wampa. The old and new versions don't look the same to me at all.
    Lose the "Alert my Star Destroyer..." but keep the CG Shuttle.
    ROTJ:
    Keep Jedi ROcks it's got a beat.
    IF I had my way. I'd lose JAbba altogether and open the film right on the Sarlaac. Even if it means losing my mid film nap.
    -Victory celebration stays. Yub-nub was just plain bad.
  13. Orionsangel Jedi Master

star 4
    I wish i could add the deleted scenes of Luke and Biggs conversing. The Cammy and Fixer ones too. I love those scenes.
  14. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm gonna be detailed but I'm only doing ANH today. And these changes are based on the 97 SE.

A New Hope:

1. Stars in background of opening crawl and in general throughout the film have been improved

2. Tantive 4 and Star Destroyer pursuit is more detailed. A squad of 4 Tie Fighters now harass the ship as well as the star destroyer itself.

3. After The Tantive 4 is tractored in and C3PO hears it lock, we cut to a shot of the Star Destroyer docking bay, where we see a Tie Boarding Craft take off and dock with the Tantive 4 hatch. (See the first Star Wars: Incredible Cross Sections book under the entry for the normal Star Destroyer)

4. As Darth Vader comes through the door, the Imperial March plays.

5. After Vader boards Tantive 4 and looks around, cut to Luke on Tatooine in the segment where he's watching the space battle through his binocs. (deleted scene)

6. Before the segment with Captain Antilles, cut back to Luke in Anchorhead, (now digitally enhanced with background characters and vehicles) Luke's CG landspeeder is driving through the town and we see some wide shots of the town. An old woman yells at Luke "Won't you kids ever slow down!" as dust from his speeder gets all over her. Then we cut to the originally deleted footage of Luke and Biggs. Both scenes occur back to back. Then we go back to Tantive 4 and the scene of the prisoners walking down the corridor. (Deleted Scene)

7. improved Cg on the escape pod jettisoning

8. We now see the escape pod crash into the surface. New footage of C3PO and R2D2 pulling themselves from the wreckage is shown WITH their old lines used from when they were walking in the desert.

9. Jawa Sandcrawler is CG and more refined when C3PO spots it.

10. improved lightning and blast effect when R2-D2 is shot by the jawas

11. Better effects work on when R2-D2 is sucked into the sandcrawler

12. The control panals in Owen's garage now flicker on and off like they do in AOTC for continuity's sake.

13. The view through Luke's electrobinoculars while he searches for R2-D2 is improved.

14. Landspeeder effects are improved.

15. Bantha effect is improved (so it doesn't look like an Elephant in a suit which is what it was......)

16. Obi Wan has a change of one of his lines in the Hut. He now says "A young Jedi named Darth Vader......" There is a moments pause while Obi Wan and Luke share glances... "He betrayed and murdered your father" The "who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil" part has been edited out. I think this makes the line stronger....and Vader's revelation in ESB stronger as well if you watch em Episodes 1-6.

17. Improved Exterior shots of the Death Star. There are now more Tie Fighters as well as a few Star Destroyers in sight around the space station.

18. Arrival in Mos Eisley is improved and updated CG wise.... we see more familiar animals and species from the prequels....like Eopies

19. Prequel species visable in the cantina scenes.

20. HAN SHOOTS GREEDO FIRST!

21. The Jabba scene is much more improved Cg wise to match TPM Jabba and the ROTJ Jabba.

22. Boba Fett appears in the Jabba scene without his helmet (and is played by Temuera Morrison). He looks around, puts his helmet on his head and walks off screen. I think this is important so we know that Boba Fett IS back in the movies.

23. Improved effects on the Falcon leaving Docking Bay 94.

24. Improved effects on the Star Destroyers chasing the Falcon. We actually get to see some of Han's maneavers he boasts about. Tie Fighters are also added to the shots. It actually looks like Han makes a narrow escape onscreen.

25. Jimmy Smits (using Aging makeup) appears in a new scene right as the death star arrives at Alderaan. A much aged Jar Jar Binks comes to inform Baal that there is still no word of his daughters whereabouts. Then they talk about where she could be and how important it is that the death star plans arrive safely. Just as Baal says this, he steps onto his Balcony to see the Death Star in the sky.

26. After the laser beam is fired, we se
  15. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I purpously didn't read this thread. I'm making a guess as to how many people put:

ESB: Nothing. It's perfect as it was.

And how many people will. Lesse if I was right...

EDIT - DAH! You guys impressed me o_0

Wll let's see how many people post that after my post :p
  16. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'll do you one better. I won't even post in this thread. 8-}
  17. lynnferd1138 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'd only make a couple of changes.

ANH
    1. Right before the scene were Tarkin comes into the conference room and says he's recieved work about the senate being disolved I'd put a scene were Palpatine dismisses the Senate. Bail Organa and Mon Mothma would protest this. At the end of the scene Bail Organa would turn to Jar Jat and say something like "Come Jar Jar, we're returning to Alderaan."

2. When the Death Star arrives at Alderaan have a scene were Bail Organa and Jar Jar are on a balcony and see the Death Star in the sky. I don't need to see the beam hit the planet and vaporize everything. I just need a shot that shows both Bail Organa and Jar Jar on the planet.

ROTJ
    1. I want more shots of the space battle over Endor. When Lando tells all the fighters to pull up because the shield isn't down yet have a X-wing or two hit the shield and explode kinda like in Independence Day.
  18. A-OK Jedi Padawan

Hmmm.

Well really, I don't have that many problems with what's presented in the films. ANH is a bit slow at points, but whatever. I can live with it.

Personally, I would just spruce up some of the really bad effects, and make the battles bigger. Not anything ludicrously huge, but just so that they don't look small in comparison to the PT battles, which I feel they do.
  19. JediMasterChiefYoda Force Ghost

star 3
    The only changes I ask for is for the Opening Crawl. I want ANH and ESB's to be like RotJ. In that, I mean that they don't have to be half-way up the screen before I can read them. I know what they say, but not everyone does. After the PT got it right with the crawl, ANH and ESB look riduclas with an over-extended crawl.
  20. Phredreeke87 Jedi Knight

star 3
    ANH:

-Use SE improved speeder.
    -Cut the part of the SE Mos Eisley intro with the droid hitting the other droid on the head. Also remove the CG droids in the "We don't need to see his identification" scene. Restore the second wolfman in the cantina.
    -Replace Ponda Baba's cut off hand.
    -Han shoots first.
    -Color Luke's lightsabre on the falcon.
    -Also fix Darth Vader's lightsabre when he approach the falcon.
    -Color R2 blue in space shots.

ESB:

-SE improved mattes on Hoth.
    -Use SE blue R2 space shots.
    -Use original "You're lucky you don't taste very good" line.
    -Cut Luke's scream. Also cut added SE footage of Vader getting to the Star Destroyer.

ROTJ:

-Improve Rancor matte.
    -Use SE blue R2 space shots.
    -SE celebration. Keep Shaw as Anakin, or have Shaw in the first shot, then after cutting from Luke and Leia, have Hayden.
  21. General_Kor Jedi Knight

star 2
    ROTJ:
    Put the B-Wing scene back in.
    Improve the AT-ST animations
    Get rid of that imperial who says "You rebel scum" worst acting...ever!
    Have Jar Jar get shot instead of Leia :D
  22. Aiwendil Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm pretty much happy with the SEs. I would just do the following:

ANH
    - In the SE Mos Eisley shots, take out the falling Jawa
    - Han shoots first
    - Re-animate Jabba

ESB
    - Take out Luke's scream

RotJ
    - Touch up matte lines on Rancor
    - Restore Lapti Nek
  23. Lightsabre Fan Force Founder

VIP
    star 4
    More screen time with Oola, that's all I ask.
  24. mikadojedi Force Ghost

star 4
    Yikes I don't even want to see Jar-Jar in the OT!!! And I liked Jar-Jar in the PT. Face it ILM Needed the work and Jar-Jar was it. Ask yourselves. How many movies has ILM worked on since the OT:SE, that were NOT Lucas, Spielberg or Spielberg protoge related films?
  25. lynnferd1138 Jedi Knight

star 1
    The only reason I want Jar Jar in ANH is to know he died. What better place to put him then on Aldeeran.

Unless of course they kill him in Episode III.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.