main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Your Personal Canon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by SlashMan, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't really buy into the whole idea of canon as "what really happened", but in terms of the works that define Star Wars for me it would be the six films, Knights of the Old Republic I and II, the X-Wing series, the NJO, and several other standalone or smaller series novels.

2. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I used to be a huge fan of the Expanded Universe, but once the license returned to DelRey, the series became unwieldy and depressing. I think I got most of the way through The New Jedi Order, but it was just too much.

These days, I'm much more interested in the stories actually established in the films and in The Clone Wars, rather than the tangled web of retcons Wookieepedia details (though all power to them for doing it; that's gotta be thankless work). I know all about (and rather enjoyed) the Battle of Ruusan in Jedi vs. Sith and the Darth Bane series, for example, but I'm much more interested in the scenario Lucas suggests.

For example, Attack of the Clones establishes that "this Republic [...] has stood for a thousand years," the same time frame that The Phantom Menace establishes the Sith being extinct for. The Clone Wars gives us further details. "Heroes on Both Sides" tells us that there hasn't been an attack on Coruscant "in a thousand years," and "The Mandalore Plot" suggests that this was an attack by a Mandalorian army, who stormed the Jedi Temple and stole the Darksaber during "the fall of the Old Republic." It all paints a far more dramatic picture than the mere "reformation" that the Expanded Universe presents.

So for me, "canon" is:
    • Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    • Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    • Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    • Episode IV: A New Hope
    • Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
    • Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
    • The Clone Wars
    • ... and all the fresh new Star Wars we're going to be getting from Disney!

Again, I've truly enjoyed the comics and the Bantam-era novels. But I am really looking forward to a new take on what's "canon".

Couq-DK, Son of a Bith and rdhight like this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The NJO and the Legacy comics are my ST and FT continuations of the PT-OT Saga with the 2002-2005 (or to whenever Traviss' RepCom books stopped coming out) Clone Wars stuff as my Clone Wars and the Bantam era stuff between the OT and the NJO.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I like what I like and don't what I don't. I don't care what a corporation says about 'cannon'. Gilad is still my fave character in all of SW and I still will ignore Asoka and TCW. Cannon matters not to me. Each fan still has the ability to choose what's valid for them. I'm revisiting the LU and by the sound of it I'll either reject everything NJO on or stop with NJO.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I dont think Canon was originally a LFL or Lucas concept. I think way back in the day, it was a fan concept. It has morphed over time, and now Disney/LFL is exerting control over it.

6. Simon Foston

Simon Foston Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2014
    The films. That's it. Although if Disney and LucasFilms were to announce that Episodes 1 and 2 officially never happened, and that we had all somehow hallucinated all that rubbish about the "midichlorians" and the "child conceived by the Force," I for one would not object.

7. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    ^ For better or for worse, thats all canon.

8. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    Just the movies, for me.

9. SWfan1020

SWfan1020 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    My personal canon includes, in chronological order of events

Knights of the Old republic video games and Old Republic Era novels such as the Darth Bane Trilogy (I haven't read the Darth Bane books yet, but I am not aware of anything these novels contradict).

Darth Plagueis with the exception the version of the origin of Darth Maul as told in this book that was modified to fit with The Clone Wars.

Cloak of Deception

All six movies

The Clone Wars Multimedia project and other stories derived from this project http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_Wars_multimedia_project

"The television aspect of the Clone Wars project was covered by Star Wars: Clone Wars, directed by Genndy Tartakovsky.

The comics segment of the Clone Wars storyline was told primarily through the Star Wars: Republic serial, starting with Issue 49 (four issues after the comic had been renamed from Star Wars to Star Wars: Republic) and continuing until the final Issue 83. It was in the Republic comics that Anakin Skywalker got the scar on his face that he has in Episode III.

Seven official novels were written in the Clone Wars series which chronicle the Clone Wars. They can be identified by the designation "a Clone Wars novel".
    Although Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, Republic Commando: Triple Zero, Republic Commando: True Colors, Order 66: A Republic Commando Novel, Labyrinth of Evil, Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader are set in this era and cover the Clone Wars, they are not considered part of the Clone Wars book series. "

There are probably other stories I consider canon that are not on this list.

I consider almost all the pre ROTJ EU canon with the exception of early marvel comics, and newer things like The Clone Wars, The Force Unleashed, and The Old Republic video game.

I haven't read many original trilogy era novels, I think there were some written about rogue squardron? Shadows of the Empire is another I haven't read. I am more interested in prequel era and earlier. For me, canon ends with Return of the Jedi. I am interested in reading the Thrawn trilogy however and still enjoy some post ROTJ EU, but I don't consider these things canon because they seem to lessen the sense of finality of ROTJ, and Anakin's defeat of the Sith.

10. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Knights of the Old Republic games (not TOR or the Revan novel)

The films.

Splinter in the Mind's Eye (somewhat)

Shadows of the Empire

---

Aside from those, do Blue Harvest or the Robot Chicken special count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    As I stated in another thread about personal canon Grey Jedi exist in the GFFA for me.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  12. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Here is my personal Cannon

[​IMG]

13. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    For me the 6 films should be canon and the clone wars shows i can picture being canon too. For me the reason i am not quit as upset about the EU going is because i view the eu as entertaining stories that immerse me in the universe , sure i'll miss some of it (Kenobi, Darth Plagueis) but for me its the 6 movies and maybe the clone wars show.

14. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    ^ If you select TCW, then Rebels needs to should be included.

15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The films... everything else is just conjecture.

Cael-Fenton likes this.
  16. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The films (minus Jedi Rocks) and the deleted scenes (e.g. in my canon, Luke did met Biggs and the gang in Anchorhead).
    The six books, as long as there are no contradictions with the films.
    TCW minus Maul (in my canon, DM's halves are still swimming somewhere in Naboo's planet core).
    Rebels, possibly.

AND, in my canon John Williams' soundtrack resonates all over the place as long as the story happens (don't ask me how, it's a galaxy far far away and it's my canon anyway).

17. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I can tell you one thing, it includes the OOT not the SE versions.

18. The Philosophical Owl

The Philosophical Owl Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2014
    I believe in the canon of the films and the cannon of the EU that hasn't been contradicted.

19. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    So this all of the sudden became more relevant. I made this before the great schism between the Expanded Universe and Lucasfilm's official canon; most everything has been dished out, starting anew with the Clone Wars. Even things like the original Clone Wars series was said to have not existed in the new continuity, despite tying into the films directly.

Looking back at ideas that were directly referenced in the films, the Thrawn trilogy, Shadows of the Empire, and Star Wars Republic were largely influential on the series. The latter two were directly responsible for things seen onscreen. Also, Labyrinth of Evil as well.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anyone have fan-fics part of their personal canon?

21. Couq-DK

Couq-DK Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 16, 2014
    I was so fortunately that I only got into the Old Republic stories, plus a few novels just before the prequels. I doubt Walt Disney will screw with that part of the world, so I'm feeling safe with my personal canon.

As long as any new stuff doesn't alter the post-movie era, I can easily in my head accept a personal canon that involves all the EU legends from those eras. I also see some stuff reused by the new canon novels coming out, so it would be silly not to keep the old canon around as reference points for understanding of the new books & movies coming out.

So breaking it down:

• Post-republic:
      • Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void (Novel)
    • Old Republic:
      • KOTOR I+II (Game)
      • Revan (Novel)
      • Deceived (Novel)
      • Red Harvest (Novel)
      • Fatal Alliance (Novel)
      • Annihilation (Novel)
      • SWTOR (Game, some of the story)
      • Darth Bane I+II+III (Novel)
    • Rise of an Empire:
      • Darth Plagueis (Novel)
      • Darth Maul: Lockdown (Novel)
      • Episode I: The Phantom Menace
      • Darth Plagueis (Novel)
      • Episode II: Attack of the Clones
      • Republic Commando (Game)
      • The Clone Wars
      • Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
      • Rebels
    • Rebellion:
      • Episode IV: A New Hope
      • Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
      • Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
    • "New Republic..."
      • Episode VII: The Force Awakens...
      • And so forth!
    So all in all, pretty much everything I seen/played/read, lucky me!

22. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    Pretty much so far it's mainly the movies, a couple games and a couple comic books. I am edging on whether to drop Clone Wars from it, mainly because of how much they changed Darth Maul.

So it would be...

KOTOR 1-2 (no Revan novel though)
    Prequel Trilogy
    Old Trilogy
    Sequel Trilogy

And most Darth Maul stuff that was made before they started heavily 're-imagining' his origins. I'm also starting to lean towards him having died on Naboo, with Resurrection being a cloned Maul (who supposedly 'dies.')

23. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    Everything before the Darth Bane books
    Darth Plagueis
    Episode 1- The Phantom Menace
    Jango Fett Open Seasons
    Episode 2- Attack of the Clones
    The Clone Wars (2002 video game)
    Republic Commando (Books and game)
    Clone Wars (2003)
    Republic Comics
    Labyrinth of Evil
    Episode 3- Revenge of the Sith
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
    Dark Times comics
    Darth Vader and the Lost Command
    Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison
    Darth Vader and the 9th Assassin
    Darth Vader and the Cry of Shadows
    Blood Ties comics
    The Force Unleashed (sequel not included)
    Empire comics
    Episode 4- A New Hope
    Rebellion comics
    Brian Wood's Star Wars run
    Dark Forces
    Rogue Squadron games
    Episode 5- The Empire Strikes Back
    Shadows of the Empire
    Episode 6- Return of the Jedi
    Sequel trilogy

spicer likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    My list is small
    KOTOR1 AND 2
    Darth Bane trilogy
    PT
    TCW
    Kenobi
    Rebels
    OT
    ST

25. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    My personal canon:

A New Hope original 1977 film
    Empire Strikes Back Special Edition film
    Shadows of the Empire novel
    Return of the Jedi original 1983 film

Then the back story to the OT (I'll NEVER watch the films as Lucas says to...in episodic order)

The Phantom Menace film as a Preface (introduces a lot of stuff like the Sith and Jedi but explains nothing)
    Bane Trilogy novels
    Darth Plagues novel
    Attack of the Clones novel (not a fan of the movie at all but the book is extremely better in my opinion)
    Labyrinth of Evil novel
    Revenge of the Sith film
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader novel

Then hopefully episode 7-9!

Then for kicks...the Thrawn Trilogy "Legend"

lookameatbag likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.