main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Your predictions about the reception of the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The ratings of Episode VII and the the ST in general? Do you expect one in particular to shine above the rest and become a "fan favorite" of the ST as ROTS and TESB did for the PT and OT respectively?

As it stands:

TPM: 57%
    AOTC: 67%
    ROTS: 80%
    ANH: 94%
    TESB: 97%
    ROTJ: 79%

PT Average: 68%
    OT Average: 90%
    Saga Avereage: 79%

Don't know, personally they all get 100% from me, but that's my opinion. What are your predictions about the ratings with the ST? Where do you think their averages will lie? Will the saga average score rise or lower?

Here's my theory: Sorry to say, but I honestly think these movies won't score as high as they deserve. I expect a score lower than the OT, but higher than the PT. Why, you ask? Well, the same reason that the PT was so poorly received by critics, imo. Years and years of speculation led to massive disappointment when fans saw GL's story on the big screen rather than their own. I get the feeling however, that a lot of the backlash here will be boosted merely because they aren't the prequels and some people are still "recovering" from that shock. Your thoughts please?
    (Mods: Sorry if this isn't worth its own thread, I just thought it was a cool idea to discuss)

2. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Higher than the PT, but probably lower than the OT.

Although, I have to say, I have a lot of hope for these films and the future of Star Wars in general. In other words, I think we have as good, or better, than the OT again.

I don't actually believe the fans can't unify behind a new film. I think it really depends on how good the film is. See: ROTS. It's PT, but has an 80%.

3. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I think it'll be rated PG. oh wait...

In all seriousness, I'm gonna respectfully disagree. I've got my fingers crossed that JJ and co. are gonna make the SW movie we always knew could be made and I think we'll get a high rating.

4. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I'm going to guess in the upper-60's low 70's for avg... people are generally more cynical than they were back in the OT days. Yes, there will always be one that is accepted above the others. Happens with all trilogies.

kainee likes this.
  5. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    I prefer to think for myself, and not arbitrary percentages based on other people's opinions.

Dranem, jc1138, Darkslayer and 4 others like this.
  6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    This.

I think people are still going to find it hard to let go of their childhood and place anything over the OT out of sentimental reasons, but overall, it will probably be more positive than the PT, especially if the Big Three make an appearance. People will, again, associate the Big Three with their childhood and it will get extra props.

7. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    BINGO!

Ratings do not concern me . . .

8. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I'm suprised that most of my friends just don't really care about the ST because they felt the PT was so bad, and don't feel like getting burned again. I was also suprised that many of them didn't even know it was in production when I told them. Its the old saying, "Fool me once, fool me twice..." For the PT for many fans it was, "Fool me 3 times!"

It is very hard to rate the movies before we even know what the story is about, but I think you will have 4 types of fanbases after the ST:

-OOT/ST fans: Fans that didn't like the PT, and think the ST was good, but not as great as the OOT.

-PT/OT fans: Fans that like the Anakin 1-6 arc, and felt that the ST contradicted it (possibly the Emperor having another Sith Apprentice?) and just felt the story was tacked on.

-PT/OT/ST fans: There will always be fans that love anything SW, and will love the saga 1-9

-OOT fans: These fans checked out with either TPM or AOTC.

9. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Sadly I think your prediction is more or less accurate. I really hope to be able to say I'm a PT/OT/ST fan one day, but as high as my hopes are, my fears are just as high... I worry I may end up in the PT/OT group...

Episode Swag and Carbon1985 like this.
  10. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Don't forget the fans who dislike everything about the movies, yet are still somehow on that movie's boards and posting :p

11. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    I think the EU hardcores will be the new "haters". Where the average PT hater doesn't like the movies because they invented their own prequels in their head prior to Episode I, and since Lucas didn't use THEIR version of the prequels; they hate it...the EU hardcores will hate the ST for ignoring the books they've been so invested in.

12. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Oh yeah forgot about the EU fans. I have never read any EU books, so I am sort of naive as to what is going on in the EU community, but I'm sure they will be looking for contradictions with a fine tooth comb.

As much as people argue about whether they like Lucas or not, it will be interesting to see if the ST movies 'feel' like SW movies because he won't be hands on like the other 6 movies. Its like when you compare the Burton/Shumacher/Nolan Batman films, they all 'feel' so different because of each directors style. I think this could create another SW fan battle as you will have the pro-JJ crowd vs the anti-JJ crowd.

Episode Swag and kainee like this.
  13. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Well, remember, Abrams is only going to direct VII at this point, we have no idea who's directing VIII or IX. This, coupled with less involvement from Lucas, could potentially give us kind of an inconsistent feeling... :/

14. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    In terms of overall quality; I personally feel the ST will be a lot closer to the prequels than the originals... primarily because I think the PT have influenced the look and feel of modern effects laden movies more than the OT (in terms of style and production techniques). Episode VII will be a huge financial success regardless and probably has the best chance of pleasing the 'fans' as it's probably the most likely to feature all the stars/main characters from the OT, and will be more reverential to the earlier movies. Ep VIII and IX, I assume, will most likely be more progressive in tone and feel (wether that's good or bad remains to be seen).

15. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I agree, but I use the ROTS average ALL the time when trying to convince people that I'm not crazy for liking it. :rolleyes:

Episode Swag likes this.
  16. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    In mass media (newspaper, TV and internet critics) ST will be regarded as better than the PT and worse (too strong word?) than the OT. It's just the way it is, OT is universally good, PT is universally bad... Or mediocre. So on some official scale, the ST will raise the percentage.
    On this forum I expect the ST (among other things) to be one another instrument of neverending war between the trilogy fans.

On my personal level, I do really hope we'll get movies better than the OT, but it'll be hard to surpass the PT. That will depend on how big the movies will be, how intellectual, how dependant on each other, how realistic non-stereotype characters will be and so on and on.
    And yes, I'll be PT-OT-ST fan.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Edited the thread title to make it more descriptive... so users can discern the topic without opening it.

18. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I imagine it being similar to the Star Trek reboot. Critics and average moviegoers will probably love it but the fanbase will probably tear it to pieces and critisize every single little detail and go around claiming it ruined the franchise and turned it into some dumb mindless action film (or whatever the trekkies call the Trek reboot). It'll probably get better reviews than the PT but not as good as the Originals (can you imagine the madness if it got a RT score higher than any of the original films?). Abrams is very good at getting good performances out of young/unknown actors so acting from the new cast isn't a worry from me, I am a bit worried about the returning actors but I'm gunna not talk about that. Of coarse the visuals will be great but I once again fear that they will focus more on the visuals and pleasing the fanbase that the story will suffer. I'm not predicting anything amazing from the script. Yes it'll probably be better written than the PT but I see the story itself (based on Lucas's outline) not being anything too strong/worth the wait. We also will go insane pointing out all the plot holes/inconsistancies/any other thing that doesn't mesh well with the PT/OT. I forsee major critisisms being complaints of "Overcrowding" (too many returning characters and new characters and the movie can't decide who to focus on), some pacing issues, the obvious failure to live up to the insanely high expectations and a villain who isn't as good as Vader. The biggest praises will probably be from the new actors, the action, the direction and a batch of several incredibly memorable new scenes.
    Predicted Rottentomatoe score *based on Abrams past films*: 75-80

kainee likes this.
  19. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Personally, I think that I'll enjoy the new films. That's pretty much the only rating that matters to me :p

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't care what other people (be it fellow fans or critics) will think. I'll watch the movies and make my own opinions of it.

21. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    well first off TPM originally had a tomatometre of 63% , it was only the 3d re_release that took it back to 57% so that should answer questions about what the new generation of critics think so expect a tomatometre of between 75% & 83% for episode 7 no matter how good it is ! that,s just the way it is , just look at the hobbit 65% and the man of steel 57% !!!.........

Episode Swag likes this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't care what fellow fans think of them (no offense :)) and I care even less what critics will say about them. I've tried my hardest to keep a positive attitude no matter what kind of news that gets released because I don't want to go into the films with any preconceived notions. I want to be able to judge them solely on the joy I get from watching them. If I like them that's awesome but if I don't then that definitely sucks because I've never disliked a SW film before. But my dislike won't be because of anything I hear before hand.

Rabs, Dranem, kainee and 1 other person like this.
  23. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Bib Fartuna endorses this comment.

24. Bad Cane

Bad Cane Jedi Master

Aug 16, 2013
    I can't believe ROTS is rated higher than ROTJ! ROTJ is the best IMHO. I also agree the ST will rank in the middle. It will be very hard to top the OT, but I think they will be great and top the PT.

25. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I believe in respecting and understanding the critical and fan consensus when forming one's own opinion. If not, one runs the risk of living in their own solipsistic monster world where black is always green and poop is always sweet.

But respecting and understanding is different from agreeing. But you have to know what they think and why before you can form an honest disagreement.

StoneRiver and Immortiss like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.