Discussion Your predictions about the reception of the ST

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Spoilers Allowed' started by Seagoat, Aug 15, 2013.

Weeks
Days
Hours
minutes
seconds
  1. plaidphoenix Force Ghost

star 4
    I predict people will go see the movie, come out of the theater and shout out how awesome the movie was. They'll then go home and take it apart scene by scene and critique every little thing that was wrong with the movie and then at the end, say, "But I still think it was awesome!"
    SlashMan and Immortiss like this.
  2. Darth PJ Force Ghost

star 4
  3. Darkslayer Force Ghost

star 4
    I think the general reception will be: OT>ST>PT

But mine will probably be: PT>ST>OT
    Visivious Drakarn likes this.
  4. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4

Agreed, though I'm expecting mine to be more like PT>OT>ST.
  5. Darkslayer Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh ya, it could be either or. It really depends on the villain for me. If they use Plagueis, the ST will already be in front of the OT, just because he is one of my 5 favorite characters in Star Wars.
    Immortiss likes this.
  6. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    I just can't imagine a universe in which I would rank a film directed by J.J. Abrams higher than a film directed by George Lucas. Even the OT films that Lucas didn't direct have his fingerprints all over them, and I'm hopeful that there will be enough of him in the ST to keep me happy, but I doubt it will be enough to overtake any of the work that Lucas was more directly involved in for me.

Then again, if George's story is good enough... who knows...
    Last edited by Mystery_Roach, Dec 15, 2013
    Darkslayer, Immortiss and FRAGWAGON like this.
  7. Volderon Force Ghost

star 4
    Honestly? Judging by Star Trek Into Darkness, I don't think the reception will be that great. It'll be a decidedly JJ Abrams movie. You all know what that means. I think people will be initially happy with it but it will not hold up to any sort of intelligent discussion. I think it will be hollow.

But I hope I'm wrong on everything I just said.
  8. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    The thing is, Episode IV was relatively hollow as well. Sure you have some basic development and emotional beats for Luke, but Episode VII will probably have about the same amount, and focus primarily on being a fun action movie while setting up the story of the ST. Traditionally SW movies don't start getting deeper until the second movie of the trilogy. So even if it does seem hollow on the surface, I don't think it will be fair to judge Episode VII until the trilogy is complete, unless it just isn't an enjoyable movie to watch.
    Darth PJ, Darkslayer and FRAGWAGON like this.
  9. Immortiss Force Ghost

star 4
    It depends on what is meant by hollow. If we mean that Star War (IV) was pure popcorn fun, absolutely. But the dialogue concerning the Force, Obi-Wan's 'more powerful' moment, the general mythology and the homage to the genre Lucas had gleaned gives it depth. For those reasons I tend to disagree.
  10. Darth PJ Force Ghost

star 4
    Agreed - I understand where Mystery Roach is coming from... ANH is a 'simple' story told in a fairly simple way... but its simplicity belies the depth of the universe Lucas creates. It's the talk of Clone Wars, Luke's father, Uncle Owen's seemingly dislike of Obi-Wan, the force (as you mentioned)... even talk of the Spice Mines of Kessel, the (as then) unseen Jabba the Hutt, the Emperor etc. that provide a depth of context not seen in other films. For example, when Luke looks at the setting suns, we totally understand what he's yearning for. Compare that to the scene in Star Trek where Kirk rides up on his bike and stares at the ship building yards. That's the difference between a director who understands cinema and telling a story and a director who understands the mechanics of making Hollywood films.
  11. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    Oh I agree. When I said relatively hollow, I only meant that it never ventured too far into the depths of where the next two films would take the story. I wasn't suggesting that ANH was actually a hollow film, but just that it was a somewhat more superficial film than the others with the emphasis being on a fairly simplistic hero journey and a lot of swashbuckling action. There is a lot of depth in the world that film created, but the emotional depth is intentionally kept fairly simple and straightforward. I'm not saying it isn't there or well-done for what it aspired to be though, and frankly I don't know if Abrams has the talent to strike that balance as well as Lucas did. I tend to think not, but I have to judge the ST on its own merits, and wait to see how it all fits together when it's done. And not just the trilogy, but the saga as a whole. That's the real test for me.
    Darth Raiden, Darth PJ and Immortiss like this.
  12. Jason kent Jedi Youngling

Prequel fans will judge this more harshly for good reason we are talking Abrams not Dave filoni not any talent can be found in any of Abrams films. Hopefully the lack of artistic value will give it a well deserved panning but fans of the OT will defend it
  13. jedijax Force Ghost

star 4
    There will be those who claim that the ST harkens back to the excitement and intrigue of the OT, but there will those who say that it feels like a rehash of the OT and lacks true originality. Still, I think it will be a sigh of relief from the PT (at least TPM and ROTS).
  14. SlashMan Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I can't really favor one trilogy over the next, so I just take the easy route and say I'm a Saga fan. Worst comes to worst, I can just down the ST and say Saga>ST

Honestly, it'll probably get the same reaction as the PT. There's a lot of adults looking at this with very high expectations. It'll make a hell of a lot of money, probably break a few records, but be torn apart by fanboys and receive indifferent reviews from critics. That's not my hopes, that's just my realistic expectation.
  15. Immortiss Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm not going to worry too much abou it. I've got bigger fish to fry. It is what it is and it will be what it will be. Blast the SW logo and William's SW theme. That's all I really need anyway.
    SlashMan likes this.
  16. Critic Jedi Youngling

Blah blah blah blah socky sock blah
    Last edited by A Chorus of Disapproval, Dec 21, 2013
  17. Critic Jedi Youngling

Blah blah blah blah socky sock blah
    Last edited by A Chorus of Disapproval, Dec 21, 2013
  18. son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost

star 4
    It'll be split much like the PT is/was. Much like everything has become since the internet age began.
    Darkslayer, Mystery Roach and Odolwa like this.
  19. -Jedi Joe- Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Plinkett will nitpick every single detail upon release and the fans will just parrot what he says.

"We should only have ONE hero! There was too much CGI in the space shots. Whatever happened to models?! How can we expect actors to perform in front of a green screen?"
  20. skyrimcat9416 Jedi Master

star 1
    I'm sorry, but I don't think the reception of the ST will be any different that of the PT.

Us Star Wars fans, and most of the general public will love the new films-but on the internet-especially places like YouTube or IMDB, will have a whole of bunch of whiny fanboys and trolls bashing the films.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of the PT haters suddenly become fans of the PT and pretend like they always liked the Prequels. People will just find new things to hate in the new films and let go of their hatred of Jar Jar Binks.

I hate to say it, but that is probably the stone cold truth. This is the internet, and people just have to much fun hating on the franchise and bashing everything new.
  21. TX-20 Force Ghost

star 4
    Haters will Hate.
    Lovers will Love.

The cosmic ballet goes on...
  22. jaqen Chosen One

star 4
    I imagine it will be heralded as the return of "real" Star Wars.

Many people will bash all over the Prequels in comparison, even ROTS, which a lot have already forgotten was pretty well received.

I suspect we'll be seeing a lot of "the best Star Wars film since Empire" headlines.
  23. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4

I agree. I'm convinced that people will say that whether it's true or not, just because Lucas isn't directing. Agendas will be transparent but the press will jump on the agreed upon narrative that they're all supposed to tell.
  24. Darth PJ Force Ghost

star 4
    People love to hate and I expect (unless these films are exceptional - which I doubt) that some quarters in the media will hate these films regardless of actual merits a la The Hobbit.
    Darth Raiden and Immortiss like this.
  25. DealAlterer Jedi Master

star 1
    No one is going into these movies wanting to hate them. If you remember the hype and anticipation in the months leading up to TPM was unparalleled. All signs pointed to that movie being an instant classic and a welcome addition to the Star Wars legacy. And then people saw it.

Now while I'm sure the PT no doubt left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, I feel mostly everyone will forget once that first trailer rears it's head and the characters we all know and love are up there on the big screen again. I don't know if they'll ever be able to duplicate that level of anticipation they had heading in to Episode I, but I imagine it will be pretty damn big.

The biggest thing that the ST has going for it that the PT didn't is the original cast. Their importance can't be overstated. Their presence alone gives the story credibility. Not only that but seeing the new characters play off Luke, Han and Leia strengthens their credibility too. That's a luxury the characters in the PT didn't have.
    Last edited by DealAlterer, Jan 4, 2014
    jaqen likes this.