main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Your predictions about the reception of the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheTwinSuns

TheTwinSuns Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2013
    I know it's waaaaaaay to early for this, but if you wanted to make an educated guess on the RT score you'd have to take a few things in to account this early:

1. The team that is assembled. Jut looking at the writer and director alone, this movie has potential. It will be a collaborative effort of many minds, unlike the prequels (regardless how you may view them) when Lucas had complete control. KK seems to know what she is doing and Abrams and Arndt hopefully have a terrific chemistry of ideas.

2. The content. Obviously, this is the most important part to making a good movie. Looking as though that they say they are putting the characters first and special effects a distant second, we should (hopefully) get good dialouge and character development.

3. The style. It seems that, just from interviews with Hamill etc., this movie will have a similar light and fun style to the OT and will contain some nostalgia, but with the team that they've put together I'd expect them to include many new things too.

So with this info, I'm going to make a guess that the RT score would be around 85-90%, even if it is waaay to early to talk about that.

Pro Scoundrel and Dra--- like this.
  2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    What does "RT" stand for that everyone is suddenly saying now?

Oh, and btw I feel I should clear this up: I feel the same as a lot of people who have posted here. I could care less about what other fans or critics say about the movies. I LOVE the saga as it is. Like I said in the first post, if I could rate the, they'd each be a 100% from me : D

3. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

Don't make me break out the "50 reasons why Jedi sucks".

Oh wait, here it is:
    http://www.filmthreat.com/features/172/

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Don't make me break out the "51 reasons why all the SW movies are godly".

Oops, I said that right in front of a legion of SW fans... My bad

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't wait to debate the merits of the ST in relation to the OT and the PT but if there is something in the ST similar to the Ewoks or Jar Jar I will make up my own mind about it and not listen to the prevailing fan wisdom.

kainee and Darthsuggs like this.
  6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Seagoat.

RT = Rotten Tomatoes. It's a great site for ascertaining an "objective," or intersubjective, view of whether a movie is any good or not. According to critics and fans. Still, depending upon the genre, I often read their ratings fairly subjectively, because I know many fans and critics are prejudice against the genres I like. For example, horror. If I see a 50% for horror, I know I'll probably like the film.

But it's a good measuring stick for seeing what the general consensus is.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Why is there a countdown bar at the top of this page?

Joe Antonetti likes this.
  8. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Looking at it from a critical standpoint just based on JJ Abrams/Arndt/Disney's track record with these sci-fi/action movies/sequels I'm going to hazard to guess anywhere from an 85% on RT to a 95%, with an IMDB user rating of around as low as 8.0/10 and as high as 8.5/10.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    What happens in 90 weeks? I'm really dying to know! :p

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    You didn't see anything. *waves hand* :p

Dra--- and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    [face_hypnotized] I didn't see anything.

Pro Scoundrel and eht13 like this.
  12. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I agree with all of us who are saying we love the whole saga. Sure, there are a few things I may have done differently in the PT, but overall I love the whole thing.

That said, we live in a vastly different world than that of 1977-1983. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, will ever have the cultural impact with the totality of Star Wars.

The PT was generally panned, but it is part of the big picture, so it endures none the less.

The ST is a real opportunity for Star Wars to regain something with the general public, but I'm not too sure how possible that realy is in todays world. I'm sure they will do great $$-wise, and I hope they are truly great films.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that today's audience is took quick to overlook greatness in a lot of ways. A hit film used to command lines around the block and #1 status for weeks or months at a time. And this was in theaters that were HUGE compared to the 200-plexes of today. Nowadays a hit movie is #1 at the box office for it's opening weekend, then gets beat by Norbit. And that #1 status often includes a mid-week midnight opening to get there.

I think that had something to do with this thread......

kainee and Dra--- like this.
  13. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    Some people are going to hate the new films and compare them with the other Star Wars films, then they are going to compare them with J. J.'s Star Trek films. Then people are going to compare them with science fiction films... The real test is if we as individuals are going to like them. Many of us have invested chunks of our lives to this franchise, when I hear people complain I just wish they would go away. How can so many people say that they hate the movies but still buy them on VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray. Lots of people want to complain about how they would have taken the movie in a different direction... Killed Jar-Jar and brought Boba Fett back to life... At the end of the day it's just entertainment. We all have lives that somehow at times have nothing to do with Star Wars

kainee likes this.
  14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    A bit better than the PT (as a whole), but not* CT levels of appreciation.

*then again, the general public could surprise us here.
    :p

Dra--- likes this.
  15. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Why is there a countdown clock in this thread but nowhere else?
    Moreover what is the countdown clock counting down to????
    Have I missed an announcement about a certain premiere date for E7???
    Does TF.N know something that we don't????

SOMEONE PLEASE FILL ME IN!!!!

Edit:

I made a cursory calculation:

90 weeks breaks down like this

52 weeks = August 17th 2014

38 weeks remain or roughly 9.5 months from Next Aug is in MAY!!!

16. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Initially everyone and their doggie will be using the phrase "best since Empire Strikes Back" like they coined it. Then a bit later they will move on to Dark Knight Salvation.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    [​IMG]

18. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    IF these aren't the droids I'm looking for then what are we counting down to on a STAR WARS message board?!

19. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    This countdown is freaking me out.

Force Smuggler and Darthsuggs like this.
  20. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003

IT's THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!!!!!!!!

21. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I'd like to like it.

But if every single Wookieepedia article dealing with the post-Endor EU ends up getting a "No, that's not true, that's impossible!" banner at the top thanks to Episode VII, I'll find myself rating it very low, methinks.

TheCIS likes this.
  22. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    It's really too early to say. I'm guessing below the OT and above the PT. With Lucas barely involved with actual production there will be some that rate it higher on that alone (not me). With that said, nostalgia is tough to beat and if there is one thing Star Wars fans love, it's the originals.

23. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998

Ohhh boy here we go again. The current RT Tomatometer rankings are completely irrelevant, and filled with all sorts of nonsense which skew the ratings. The OT is rife with reviews from the SE release and subsequent releases on home video and blog sites. Additionally the rankings for the PT are polluted the same way with TPM ranking even including reviews for TPM 3-D. To get a true gauge of how these films were viewed, you need to go back to reviews of each film at the time of release. Thankfully due to the diligence of a contributor to the RT site, we get the following:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sta...uels_actually_better_reviewed_than_originals/

The site examined published reviews at the time for each of the OT films (from 77,80 and 83 respectively) and each of the PT films (99, 02, 05), and the results are substantially different:

OT at the time of release:

79% - Star Wars
    52% - The Empire Strikes Back
    31% - Return of the Jedi

Average Tomatometer: 54%

PT at the time of release:

62% - Star wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    65% - Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    83% - Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Average Tomatometer: 70%

So the Saga as a whole:

83% - Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    79% - Star Wars
    65% - Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    62% - Star wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    52% - The Empire Strikes Back
    31% - Return of the Jedi

Yancy

24. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Oh and here are some lovely excerpts from reviews at the time of the much beloved TESB:

More hardware and less whimsy, with a cliff-hanging climax every 10 or 20 minutes and not much relief. If Star Wars was the exposition, [The Empire Strikes Back] should be the development, but mainly it’s marking time: the characters take a definite backseat to the special effects, and much of the action seems gratuitous, leading nowhere. Irvin Kershner directed the actors this time around, and without the benefit of Lucas’s personal affection they seem stiffer, more clenched.

David Kehr, Chicago Reader

The Empire Strikes Back" is not a truly terrible movie. It's a nice movie. It's not, by any means, as nice as "Star Wars." It's not as fresh and funny and surprising and witty, but it is nice and inoffensive and, in a way that no one associated with it need be ashamed of, it's also silly. Attending to it is a lot like reading the middle of a comic book. It is amusing in fitful patches but you're likely to find more beauty, suspense, discipline, craft and art when watching a New York harbor pilot bring the Queen Elizabeth 2 into her Hudson River berth, which is what "The Empire Strikes Back" most reminds me of. It's a big, expensive, time-consuming, essentially mechanical operation.

Vincent Cabny, New York Times

Remember Casablanca II? Son of the Wizard of Oz? Gone with the Wind and Back Again? Of course not, because long, long ago in a movie capital far, far away, people dared not tarnish the memory of classics by exhuming them for sequels. This movie, of course, is Star Wars II, and while it's hardly the worst sequel ever made—Exorcist II retired that trophy—it's not up to the original either.

Ralph Novak, People Magazine

"The Empire Strikes Back" has no plot structure, no character studies let alone character development, no emotional or philosophical point to make. It has no original vision of the future, which is depicted as a pastiche of other junk-culture formulae, such as the western, the costume epic and the Would War II movie. Its specialty is "special effects" or visual tricks, some of which are playful, imaginative and impressive, but others of which have become space-movie clichés.

But the total effect is fast and attractive and occasionally amusing. Like a good hot dog, that's something of an achievement in a field where unpalatable junk is the rule.

Judith Martin, Washington Post

25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Wow. Those are surprising reviews.
    Again, critics miss the mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.