main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Your predictions about the reception of the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Ha! I wonder what people will say now in response to this question? (for those who believe the latest rumors)

2. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    I think it's counting down until 2015/12/18 or in other words, the release of Episode 7.

I can't believe the film will be like those rumours. They must be a least partly off the mark.

3. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014

I'm pretty sure that those who hate the PT will probably hate the ST as well. These fans have all built their own personal Star Wars in there head and therefore nothing will ever live up to what they think Star Wars should be.

4. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    One thing is for sure. I think we can all agree on the overall reception of the latest "rumors". If those are any indication. the reception of the movie will be equally palatable.

5. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    There are too few details to make a prediction, but I will try to do it anyway. Just like with every other Star Wars movie, the reception will be mixed, as some people will like an idea, while others will loathe it.
    That's what happened to all other 6 movies - some people liked the Ewoks, some didn't; some people found ESB to be boring, others a masterpiece.
    But one thing I can say for certain right now - it will make a ton of money.

Darth Raiden, Satipo and CairnsTony like this.
  6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well it is far more likely.

Meanwhile I will happily be able to watch a seventh film.

It's entirely possible I won't love VII but I'd bet at the least I'll like it well enough.

A lot yes. A ton I don't know. If it does it might have to be from international because for whatever reason the domestic box office has really slid this year.

The major release so far have only just broken $250M twice. I don't know what major releases are left but last year their were 8 and of those only 3 made it past $400M to equate that to Star Wars TPM made $431M in an era with no 3D or IMAX.

In 2014 terms that would be almost $700M. Of recent movies that is higher than Avengers.

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The clock in this thread is wrong, though (and we can't fix it). For a correct countdown clock, see HERE.

Lord Chazza likes this.
  8. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014

None of those movies are Star Wars.

9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    We don't know what that means for VII though.

It has to prove that it's Star Wars in a way that the other films didn't because Star Wars created them. Star Wars being George Lucas.

Star Wars isn't doing Star Wars anymore even though he's giving them a starting point and a plan to use as they wish.

Harkening back to all of the OT Star Wars iconography is a smart thing to do because it's sort of the reverse Disney idea. Instead of getting the kids to drag the parents to the films it'll be the parents dragging the kids to the films.

10. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Of course I'm sure that reviews will be mixed as usual, but I don't think it will affect the receipts. The hype for TPM saw it do roughly 900m on its first release and ROTS must have been close to 850m, and arguably those films didn't have the goodwill that EP7 will have. So I'm predicitng that as this is Star Wars with the original actors returning then this film should break the 1bn barrier. Surely that has to be considered a success business wise?

11. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm not even sure the reviews will be that mixed. This counts for jack all, but I have a feeling that this is actually going to be a really, really good film in its own right and if it is, it will smash it at the box office.

Jcuk and Darth Malgus like this.
  12. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm just waiting for the inevitable, "Well it wasn't half as good as TPM, AOTC, ROTS (take your pick) so I'm disappointed. The 'JJ and Disney ruined my childhood' brigade are in the shadows waiting to strike lol. I jest but believe you me they are there. I cannot wait for the initial feedback from these people. Roll on next December!!! :)

13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    The thing I think is really key is the Asian market (China the most key obviously).

I knew that China let few movies in until recent years but I didn't fully realize until I looked up the numbers. It's quite astounding.

Many films didn't even get into China and when they did the release was either limited in scope or they just didn't have the theaters.

Titanic made only 43M there and that was a huge take for that time. TPM only made 4M. LOTR:ROTK made 10M.

Jurassic Park didn't even play there neither did Pirates: Dead Man's Chest, Toy Story 3, Burton's Alice in Wonderland or The Dark Knight.

Of the total 19 movies that have made over 1 Billion (Transformers 4 just made the list) the rest of the movies listed above didn't list made the significant box office like that the movies have been able to the last few years like Avengers 84M or Avatar 200M.

If the same conditions today existed in 1999 for TPM with 3D, IMAX and the now wide open Asian market then you could be talking in the 1.7 to 1.8 billion range.

On the other hand the domestic box office is way down right now it's been doing quite badly. China alone has some 300M compared to the domestic take of 240M for Transformers 4.

14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i am going to answer the original question of the thread and say this series will tank, not financially but in terms of it having a great story

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.