main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Your predictions about the reception of the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
  2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Indeed.
    I was never a fan of critics' opinions, as it seems to me that most of them take a "holier than thou" stance and bash things just for the sake of appearing witty, knowledgeable and above us "simple moviegoers" while in fact they pretty much miss the whole point of the thing they're reviewing.
    Rarely have I seen a negative review that uses actual arguments, instead of just...well, making fun of the movie and mocking it on a level comparable to high school teasing.

3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'll take your data at your word... primarily because I agree with your underlying sentiment. I still have many of the original reviews from all the movies... and, for example, there were quite a few negative reviews of TESB when it came out... "slow", "not as much fun as Star Wars", "Fozzie Bear parading as a Jedi Master" etc. spring to mind... whilst on initial release of TPM; the likes of Empire Magazine, Time Mag and the dreaded Aint it Cool News gave it rave reviews. Not that I nesersarily disagree with modern re-appraisals, but it does underline how it can fast become fashionable to unfairly deride or worship films.

4. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    So I suspect the ST will be reviewed like most of the other Star Wars films in the Saga... critics will be all over the map in their reviews, but audience goers will eat it up.

Yancy

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  5. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    The movies will be very hyped, and people will be very excited. The Movies will come out and they will be good movies, make a lot of money. Almost immediately fanboys and media will turn against them, for whatever preconceived slights they already decided. They will spend a decade being eviscerated on the internet. Then, and only then, will a reevaluation of the sequel trilogy begin, with the generation that grew up with them announcing their unabashed love.

Star Wars is Pop Culture, but it isn't truly for the popular. It is primarily for a particular type of obsessive idealistic outcast... at one time called "nerds". It is hard to remember these days, because the culture is so awash in it, but like "Grunge" in the Nineties, "Geek-Chic" has just about run it's course.

Soon we will be Nerds again, and Star Wars will be left to us, the people it was made for.

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Hmm, interesting. This is quite the twist! Thanks for the info ^_^

7. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    So . . . I'm THE ONLY ONE who's interested in this countdown????

So according to this link:

http://researchmaniacs.com/WhenIs/Weeks/When-Is-90-Weeks-From-Now.html

90 weeks from today is May 9th, 2015. Also add in 5 days and you get May 14th, 2015. May 14th would be close to the 17th & 19th which I believe one or two of the movies opened on. (Also interesting is that it would be really cool for the movie to open on the 4th as in May the 4th be with you -- an instant marketing gimmick.)

BUT Add in the 5 hours and you get 12 AM on the 15th which is FRIDAY the traditional opening day for movies in the US. Of course 12 AM would be the Midnight Showings nationwide sure to sell out coast to coast worldwide when each country hits midnight of course. :p

So is TF.N telling us they know the opening date of Episode 7 is May 15th, 2015????

8. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    It's either that ^ or... the Doomsday Machine!

[​IMG]

9. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    Best post on these forums in some time Mein Fuhr.... I mean, Mr. President.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  10. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    A few points-

1) The PT, which is allegedly SO disliked, and is frequently cited on these boards as having turned the universe against SW for being SO terrible, is liked overall by nearly 70% of those who saw it. Hmmmm.....

2) Those percentages fit the exact order I have the movies ranked (see my sig). I think I like that. =D= :D

3) I'm optimistic, Episode 7 get 90%, the others are in that neighborhood if they make good decisions on the cast and director.

11. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The narrative is already there, and modern journalism exists to fulfill narratives. "J.J. and Disney Saves Star Wars".

It never needed saving of course, but this will follow to the letter.

12. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    It will happen as it has always happened. I'll race home from my jovial and life-changing viewing of Episode VII, log in to view other fans' (who I will be sure are just as pleased as I am) reactions on this very board, and will be crushed by the negativity.

If we're talking about critical reception, well - I agree that this time is very different than the last. We as a culture are much more cynical, however we are also much more open to a change of talent behind these films. While I'm pleased with the decision for Abrams to direct, I'm still grieving the loss of Lucas from Lucasfilm and from the director's chair. But from a film critic's standpoint, it will be easier to "like" this film, because it has become as organic as breathing to bash Lucas and his prequel films. Contrast that against Abrams, who has been more or less a critical darling in his film and television exploits; I foresee critics wading into any sort of negative commentary on his Star Wars film with heightened caution and certainly less gusto than when reviewing anything Lucas has done in the past 20 years. They won't know if it's trending to turn Abrams into their new whipping boy yet.

Sorry if none of that made sense. I'm delirious.

FRAGWAGON and Darth PJ like this.
  13. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I agree with all that...but heaven help JJ if Ep VII is actually not as good as the previous movies. They'll rip him apart...

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    We're leaving together,
    But still it's farewell
    And maybe we'll come back,
    To earth, who can tell ?
    I guess there is no one to blame
    We're leaving ground
    Will things ever be the same again?

It's the final countdown...

We're heading for Venus and still we stand tall
    Cause maybe they've seen us and welcome us all
    With so many light years to go and things to be found
    I'm sure that we'll all miss her so.

Submit Corrections EUROPE Lyrics A-Z Lyrics

15. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I still can't believe no ones' talking about the countdown clock . . .

Perhaps it needs its own thread.

16. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    No
    No one is talking about it because.... its way too slow. ;)

17. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    No doubt it will get high marks, just because most will consider it better than the PT combined. I mean how could it not. It might even get a 100 percent on RT, just because every review, regardless of flaw, will give it a positive just because it's better than the PT.

Looking deeper into the reviews you'll see how critics and audiences react to characters, special effects, whether or no the movie retreads old ground, pacing, story, a good villain, acting etc.

I feel we'll get the best possible Star Wars movie.

Graphic likes this.
  18. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    89% on the High Side 79% on the low. Regardless, I'll probably give it a 97%! Cause I fully understand that there didn't have to be anymore Star Wars films and this is a gift to me, ny children and the World!

:)

JediWheelz likes this.
  19. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    One of the most annoying things for me personally is this trend to report box office success of movies as if that's the only indicator of it's quality. I've seen quite a few articles that boast how much gazillion this movie made while this one "flopped" because it made "only" two bajillion less than the other one.
    Fine, I get it that the studios want their cash back, but I, as a viewer, don't give a hoot how much did the movie earn. I want to know if it's any good or not, from the point of view of the reviewer. Then, based on a couple of different reviews, prioritize when do I want to see this thing. Don't shower me with info about studio income, talk about the movie itself.

20. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013

The problem with this data is they don't have all the reviews from 1977-83, so its very hard to get a true gauge of all the critics at that time. For instance, you have 14 reviews from 1977 for Star Wars, and 189 reviews from 1999 for Episode 1. I'm sure there were more then 14 reviews for Star Wars in 1977, so that is why its ridiculous to compare them and now, where by 1999 you can read any review online even from a newspaper.

And I would like to ask how old you are, and did you see Star Wars in 1977? Trust me, EVERYONE liked it, as it was once in a generation movie that EVERYONE had to see (like The Godfather, Jaws, ET, Titanic, Avator). The reason why it appealed to everyone was simply because there were no Star Wars fans in 1977, because it was an original movie. I remember going with my parents, my brothers, my neighbor and her parents, it was a must see for everyone. The sequels and prequels were not the same as they appealed to SW fans, and that is when the casual fan started to leave. I am not really arguing the PT vs OT, I am arguing Star Wars '77 with the rest of the movies, and if you weren't there for that summer, you really wouldn't understand the context I am talking about and how popular it was.

21. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998

Ahhhhhhh rose colored glasses. Yes I'm quite old enough and saw Star Wars dozens if not over a hundred times in 1977... between baseball and Star Wars that was my entire summer. And no EVERYONE did not like Star Wars... my Mom tolerated it... thought it was silly, Dad loved it as I did. And among critics, while the film was praised by the majority of critics, the love of Star Wars was not universal among critics.

What you fail to grasp is film and film criticism from the 1970s. The tenor of most films was much more moody and dark, and science fiction films were dismissed as either silly and trivial, or needed to be darker, moody and make some sort of social commentary to even be considered relevant. Additionally the success of Jaws built an enormous resentment by many critics and Hollywood veterans for what they feared at the time would be a wave of mindless summer entertainment films. Additionally, many critics of the period were veterans of New York's Broadway/off-Broadway and art scenes and wanted their entertainment thoughtful, or deep, provokative character examinations. Jaws and Star Wars turned that on its head and there was quite a bit of resistance. Critics like Pauline Kael savaged Star Wars and felt it was a complete waste of time, while Vincent Cabny heaped praises upon it and called it the "most elaborate serial ever made." I still have scrapbooks full of reviews of both Star Wars and Empire... both good and bad.

Ironically the more serious tenor of TESB turned those attitudes on their head with many of the more "artistic type" critics heaping praise on Empire, while critics like Cabny felt Empire had lost a lot of the fun and magic of the original film. But hey, you keep living in that "everyone loved OT bubble."

Yancy

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  22. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    You know I was generally speaking, not EVERY single person on the earth! Sorry, but MOST people loved it. The 3 highest grossing movies that decade were the Godfather, Jaws, and then Star Wars, and all were universally loved (now you know I don't mean every person right? ;)

I'm just saying to compare reviews to Star Wars to the other 5 movies is irrelevant, because the reviews for Star Wars are made for the masses, while the reviews for the sequels/prequels are usually are more generalized towards the fanbase, or the disdain for the fanbase.

I loved all the Rocky movies (except Rocky V), but I would never compare your 'rotten tomatoes' data from the original to the sequels, because the original is universally loved, and the sequels are loved by the fanbase. Now I just want to make sure you read that Rocky was universally loved, and I don't want you to think I was saying EVERYONE loved it. :p

23. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Too much "special effects" and weird characters. Not enough characterization, depth, and heart.

My feeling is if they don't say that about VII I won't consider it to be a Star Wars movie.

Gallandro likes this.
  24. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    I fully understand what you were saying, but Star Wars was most certainly NOT universally loved by film critics at the time in 1977. As I said before, the majority loved the film, but far and away the most universally loved film among critics in 1977 was Woody Allen's "Annie Hall". Star Wars managed to win the prestigious Los Angeles Film Critcs Association Award that year, but most of the national film critic awards went to "Annie Hall" that year.

Yancy

25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd say it's probably a safe bet that gauging "universal love" probably has a fair bit to do with our own personal experience of place and time. Lord of the Rings in theaters was the first time I thought I was witnessing something similar to how older fans described the Star Wars experience of the 70s/early 80s, and while it's true that these films created a greater than normal buzz among many different types and ages of people around me, looking back I realize that at the time I simply wasn't aware of the venues were Tolkien/Jackson criticism was common. Nonetheless LOTR remains the "big event" of my time, and I'm sure for others that Harry Potter or the Avengers will be what they remember when they think of a "universally loved" event film.

darthfettus2015 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.