Your preference of the SW Saga...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by FallenKnight88, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FallenKnight88 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Now that the Star Wars Saga is complete, I was wondering which order you plan on watching them.

Though it makes most sense to watch them from 1-6, I personally find it more satisfying to watch them from 4-6 then 1-3. If and when I were to have kids (currently knocking on wood), I would likely show the SW Saga to them in this order.

I don't know why but it's just much more exciting to watch the OT first and then go back and see the PT and have all of those questions of the OT be answered. Plus, I believe it makes the PT much more enjoyable as you constantly find yourself finding connections between the two trilogies.

Plus, I think it would be best for my kids to fall in love w/ the OT first before seeing the PT. Believe me, it's hard for the OT to hold a childs attention after they've seen the PT.

Thoughts?
  2. That_Random_Jedi Force Ghost

star 3
    The PT completely eliminates the surprises in the OT. So maybe OT first?
  3. Aeneas_Falco Jedi Knight

star 2
    It is better to watch them in the order that they were released (4-6 first) if you have no idea that Vader is Luke's father. That is the single biggest suprise out of the 6 films. Anakin's descent to the dark side isn't because it is hinted at throughout the prequels.
  4. nyjet10 Jedi Knight

star 2

I know its wierd but I prefer to watch it like that, if ROTJ was anywere near as good as ROTS, my order would rule all.
  5. colivo Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Once I get ROTS on DVD, I plan on watching them in order 1,2,3,4,5,6. I have seen them a million times, so the suprise is gone, and I enjoy watching them from young Anakin to the Death of Anakin.

If I was going to introduce the Star Wars saga to someone new, I would still watch them 4,5,6,1,2,3. When you watch the originals, and then go back to the prequels, the connections flow better. Plus you have to experience I am your father before watching the prequels. It is a must for every generation to get that shock like we did when we were kids!
  6. Plo_Koen Jedi Master

star 4
    1-6... it makes more sense that way, especially for young children.
  7. HoopaFett Jedi Knight

As someone stated above, the PT takes away all the suspense in the OT...the, "No, I am your father" scene is totally ruined if you have seen the PT...the next time I introduce the series to someone, I will have them watch the OT first.
  8. nyjet10 Jedi Knight

star 2
    But watching the OT first ruins the PT. We then know Obi-Wan, Yoda, Vader/Anakin, The Emporer live and everyone else dies.
  9. FallenKnight88 Jedi Knight

star 3
    "But watching the OT first ruins the PT."

Not really. Watching the OT only enhances your viewing of the PT becasue you get to see all of the things that lead up to the OT. Someone who's new to the SW universe can then ponder various things by watching the OT first, the same questions we have had:

-How did Anakin get in the suit?
    -What happened to all of the Jedi?
    -Who is the Emperor?
    -What was Darth Vader like when he was younger?
    -What happened to Luke/Leia's mother?
    -Why does Anakin's force ghost look so young?
    -How are Luke and Leia siblings?
    -etc.

I just think that by watching the OT first, you are more "intellectually" involved whereas by watching the PT first and continue to the OT, there's not as much suspense and the storyline is much more straightforward. Don't get me wrong, I mean they'res still suspense such as Anakin's turn, the revelation that Padme has twins, Order 66...but it just seems that by watching the OT first you get more out of the entire saga.

10. That_Random_Jedi Force Ghost

star 3
    Actually, it could go either way. Watching them in numerical order makes Anakin/Vader the protagonist. OT followed by PT makes it Luke's story followed by an explanation of how things got where they were when the story started.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.