main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Your Preservation of Books and Comics

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Excellence, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

What measures do you undertake to preserve your books and comics?

After a hindsight of years, do you find that your hardcovers do in fact age slower than more affordable and hospitable paperbacks?

Some publishing houses offer special signed books, sometimes with slipcases. An author sig doesn't have value with me, but it got me thinking. Would you fork out a bit more if paperbacks came out in slipcases? It's a great way to delay the page yellowisation.

2. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    All in mylar. Some in nice slipcases.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    No, it's not worth all that extra money for every book. A lost of mine get nicely preserved on bookcases (I'm sorry to say that the others hang out in plies because I've got far too many) but they're not in bad condition (I might have to eat my words in twenty years, though).

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Economies of scales---the more you produce, the cheaper it costs to produce---could bring the paperback slipcase to as much as $2 extra purchase. Think trilogy boxed sets, only singles. Or perhaps publishers could offer special sales of these, but only through orders. [face_thinking]

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    $2 a book is still a lot when you don't have a paycheck :p though I do like the idea. And those boxed trilogies have always been pretty cool.

6. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I think the hard covers do last longer. My comics i have bagged, but most are not boarded. The bording will take up room that i don' have right now. Also in recent years, my comic collection has grown so much that it would cost me a large amount of money to go back board them. I want to, but right now it doesn't make sense for me to.

7. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    I have my comics bagged and boarded. My books are just on shelves.

8. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    That's the way to do it!

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Same here. I have an entire bookshelf soley devoted to trades.

10. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Hardcovers do last longer, but not every book is worth preserving for that long. I do have some trade paperbacks that have lost their covers after the third or fourth reading. For me, most books are consumables, and that applies particularly to paperbacks. I read them in the bath, and some have survived a dunking or two, and most have dog's ears. I do take a lot better care of my hardbacks, though, but that's mainly because they're so uncomfortable to hold in my small and rather weak hands that I rarely read them.

I have a few comics, most of these are of the pulp magazine type, and I store them in carton cases. I do have a few non-sf comics (mainly Asterix in French) with hard covers.

11. Astral_Bug

Astral_Bug Jedi Master star 1

Sep 19, 2005
    Of fantasy/sci-fi I mostly have paperbacks, except for three sw movie novelizations and ASOIAF Feast for Crows, and I store them in bookcase, same goes for comics. I take care of paperbacks so they are all in good condition even after numerous reads. Then again, Kushiels's Dart fell apert half way through the first reading :oops:

12. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    :eek: *makes mental note to never lend arwen_sith any books* :p

My paperback library seems to be holding up well. For instance, I've had the same copy of Terry Brooks' Elf Queen of Shannara for a decade and after multiple re-reads ([face_blush]) it's only sign of age are slight page discolouration and a crinkled spine.

The secrets of my paperback preservation are simple things like using bookmarks, keeping them dry and never ever holding the book so that it's front cover touches it's back cover when reading *shudders*.

I take less care of my comics though, they're bagged but unboarded and currently crammed into a box until I find a better place to store them.

13. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I need to take much better care of my books.

I'm currently on my third edition of Magician by Feist due to excessive reading and I'm nearing the point where I'll have to move on to version three of Dune.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.