main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Misogyny, Entitlement, and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heero_Yuy, May 29, 2014.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    im a man. nobody itt acts like im a jerk (except when im being one)

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    All straw men are jerks.

3. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Acknowledging male privilege isn't the same as accusing all men of acting like jerks.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    All men are jerks!

5. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    you're a jerk tho, maik

Ender Sai and Rogue_Ten like this.
  6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Please don't use the "Not all men" line on me. It's insulting. Nobody said "all men, blah blah" ... not even once. I'm aware that not all men are sexist. I'm not talking about all men. I'm talking about sexism and misogyny.

7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    in fairness i am not the best example, as i act like a jerk pretty often

in any case, NotSoScruffyLooking , i would suggest that if you find that people frequently act like you and/or the men you identify with/respect are jerks, then maybe that's a problem they have with you, and not a problem they have with "all men"

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I would like to clarify that #notalljerks are sexist.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  10. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    can you make it bigger pls

halibut and harpua like this.
  11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Sigh.

The first issue is that the pay gap is largely due to the roles and the fact that the White House confirmed the equal work is equally paid makes your objection silly. If more women in the white house are employed in administrative roles then on aggregate they will earn less. Equal pay for equal work as you're positioning it J-Rod, assuming you're being serious and not just having a sulk and trying to blame Mr Obama for it, would actually be the communism you hate. Because a top level adviser is paid the same as a secretary.

Secondly, society - thanks to patriarchal men like you - has structured the workforce in such a way that women are expected to interrupt their careers to have kids. So I mean, if you're concerned here I assume it's because you realise you're being a hypocrite?

12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i think you're assuming a level of self-awareness that just isnt there, bro

Juliet316 , Darth Guy, V-2 and 3 others like this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No it is, but integrity has been put aside for cheap political point scoring.

14. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Not all men are jerks but all men who use the 'not all men are jerks' argument are in fact jerks

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  16. potatochips

potatochips Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2014
    probably the "men and the "men to their daughters" are not answering the same question, or the verbs that have been omitted from the sentences are different.

but yay ambiguity. it's clever and it seems to make a point if you don't pay close attention.

17. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    "Not all men contribute to patriarchal norms!"

"Yes all men contribute to patriarchal norms!"

clear enough? cool.

18. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Ambiguity is a concept I think the men rallying against those darn evil feminazis do not understand.

A man can talk down to a woman or objectify her even if she is uncomfortable with it and it's never wrong because there's always claims of ambiguity.

But when women and feminists have a discussion about the patriarchally way our society has defined the sexes then there's never any ambiguity. It's always a direct insult on a personal level against all men.

19. potatochips

potatochips Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2014
    nah, "men to their daughters" do not say that.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Why aren't you using the Wannasee account?

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Because Jello Permabanned it.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So despite a clear signal that he's not welcome, he still comes back?
    Um...

23. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Let me be clear: Let me remind you that my position is that there is a perceived pay difference simply because men are different than women. The point that I poorly made was that the White House was experiencing what society is experiencing: Men and women have different priorities. Not each and every and and each and every woman, but in general as genders they have different priorities. And they get satisfaction from different things. Successful women are more depressed than successful men. http://fortune.com/2014/11/20/executive-jobs-are-making-women-depressed/

I believe that women are more satisfied with a successful family than a successful career. It's biological. Not sexist.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    No, it's cultural. As a species we evolved in close-knit bands in Africa where males and females both took care of their young because they were around all the time. Men didn't evolve to live out of the house 8+ hours a day because they were expected to make $ to support their families.

25. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Don't we still work in close knit bands where both men and women take care of of their young? Or does dad live in a cottage out back?!