main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Misogyny, Entitlement, and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heero_Yuy, May 29, 2014.

1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

Stop your posturing about so-called "left wing" ideals; if it's "left wing" to demand equality and an end to the insanity of decrying women for being more "emotional" and less logical than men (which has absolutely zero merit, by the way), then why the hell is anyone willingly standing against the left wing? Why is it that this sort of argument persists? If equality is a left wing thing, then what do you stand for? Misogyny? Sexism? Continued enforcement of arbitrary gender norms? Regression to the good ol' days of the 1950s where abuse and domestic violence went unchecked?

If the left fails because they express disgust at a disgusting perspective, I don't want to ever be right-wing.

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    this is a frankly trite response. are you really saying that, despite the abundance of poor decision making and poor leadership qualities displayed by men throughout the course of all history, exemplifying hormonal and emotional behaviour at its absolute finest, that women would have done an even worse job (i.e. more wars, more genocide, more terrorism) in the same leadership positions, just because they are "even more" emotional than men?

3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I'm just trying to figure out why J-Rod seems to think that differences between men and women should equal differences in pay.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    well clearly women shouldn't get paid for all the time they spend crying.

5. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I wish everyone in this thread would try a little harder to treat J-Rod's opinions and posts with exactly the amount of attention and respect that they deserve. Please.

Eliminate? No. Does it mitigate it significantly? It sure does. I've heard and read many black Americans who are incredibly disappointed with Obama's lack of leadership and failure on progressive issues, including race relations. Again, while the mere accomplishment he's achieved - first black US President - is certainly laudable and inspirational, it doesn't inoculate him against criticism or automatically make him a figurehead or icon for racial equality. I feel like we're basically on the same page here. I mean, I agree for the most part with the Natasha Walter quotation you posted, but for some reason you keep strawmanning.

6. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    No, he's used it on me three times in a day before.
    What I mean is that the Left finds inequality where it doesn't exist or exaggerate it where it does. There are legitimate reasons why many women make less over a career than men. Child raising being just one example.
    Don't misinterpret: I never mean that I don't believe in equal work for equal pay. Women over their careers have a higher tendency to drop out of their careers and it shows in the pay.

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So, anyway.... how do you feel about misogyny, since, you know, that is what the thread is about? I think we get it already, as you've posted this bull**** quite a few times, you think women are emotional and irrational, and therefore deserving of a lesser wage, or something. So... what are your views on misogyny, entitlement, and nerds, though?

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Misogyny, entitlement and nerds ought to know their place. Same as women.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The Rolling Stone gang rape story spun out of control so quickly for UVA. It's startling to me that universities staring down the barrel of federal investigations are still waiting for the mass media articles to launch a national scandal before they do anything productive to try to address campus fraternity binge drinking rape culture. How many more UVAs are waiting in the wings for their big media moment?

I told my son that he is extremely lucky to be among the very first freshmen classes in U.S. history where men are starting to get a clear set of behavioral standards and expectations from their university administrations instead of a bizarre set of mixed signals and double standards about whether it's ok to be "a bit rape-y" in a binge drinking party setting and where women can be a bit more confident that they will have a real venue for seeking justice in the event of a sexual assault. There's a long way to go obviously.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    lol

loooolololol.

12. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    realtalk tho i wish jabbadabbado was my dad. id probably grow up really confused all the time, but itd be awesome

Point Given likes this.
  13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Let me expound on something. Since 1999, my mother has had to work pretty hard in order to take care of herself and for a time, myself and later my brother when he was ill. She will retire in a couple of weeks at age sixty two. She's had to endure a tree falling on her at eighteen which has since gotten to the point where she's practically crippled from it and can barely stand for very long without leaning on something. She's had her rotator cuff torn as a result of working as a truck driver twenty years ago, next week and had surgery on it. She later broke it slipping on ice fourteen years ago. Same shoulder. She had neck fusion done in 1998, following a surgery to remove a bad thyroid and another following the neck fusion to remove the other. During that same time period, fell on her right knee and damaged it pretty bad that it has to be replaced surgically. Has suffered from diabetes for the last eleven years. Had morton's neuroma in her left foot and had it operated on four times to remove it as it kept growing back on top of the scar tissue. Had trigger finger in both hands and had both operated to fix it, which severely limits her hand mobility. Had pneumonia about five times over the last twenty years. Kidney stone problems since 1998. Hit a deer with her car. Had surgery to insert a stent so that she wouldn't lose her left arm, because of blockage. And lost her son, my brother, to cancer on the twenty year anniversary of my step father's death.

And yet despite all of that, she's continued to work. Save for taking time off around the time of and after my brother's death. She's made a good deal of money at her job since working steadily for the last fifteen years. She may not have liked her situation, but she was far from lazy and she's deserves to not only enjoy her retirement, but every raise that she earned since she started working again after her health issues began and continued while she worked. If there's any person who deserves equal pay, it would be a woman like my mother.

14. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999

If they're confused about anything, it's probably the mystery surrounding why they are so much cooler than I am.

15. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    do they say "ddaaaa-AADDD!!" a lot?

i bet they do

16. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    they call me "papa" but yeah

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Your left is centrist, and you account for <5% of the world's population. It's unreasonable therefore to judge the work on the US spectrum.

Women don't feel the need for macho idiocy when dealing with their emotions; and have you seen the videos of men being subject to the equivalent of labour pain?!
    There's a reason you're generally ignored wherever you go.
    Well, yes. She's alarmingly stupid. Objectively, she is ignorant, ill-suited to any public life, and lacking any essential expertise.
    There are many men like this and like her, they're Republicans. She gets attention because she is utterly idiotic. I'm serious, J-Rod. There are 5 years old children with greater awareness of the world in which we live than her. I've had bowel movements with more acumen.
    Well, no. Men make stupid decisions based on arrogance. And going by experience with men of a certain generation, the crippling emotional retardation brought about by having to conform to stupid social norms around what it means to be a man - "boys don't cry" - is actually worse than your example of women who don't repress their emotions.

Nope. Not accurate.

The difference in pay is due to interrupted career paths for kids.

Based on ability and output - women will be outearning us in short order.

You need to make peace with this; our years as the dominant sex are pretty much over, and since we had no right to it... good riddance?

I've been labelled left wing. I suppose from the above, it's a compliment.

No, no, no.

It's an illegitimate reason.

When the person with the greatest career potential interrupts their career because the law and society don't facilitate or properly support long-term paternity leave, that's an illegitimate reason.

I and everyone else will assume you meant to say "illegitimate".

How? I mean the point about Obama is the one you made, and it's the Winter quote. To young women or black men, both Thatcher and Obama gave or give young people the impression that leadership at that level is utterly attainable but also that as pioneers both these leaders fell short of what they accomplished for gender/race and "I'll do better".

No we agree, and I'm not strawmanning - I'm objecting to the "lol Thatcher" knee-jerk response. As is my wont.

Or why their father spends so much time online researching extinction level events?

18. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    I think part of the reason women get paid less is not because a boss says I want to pay Man A more than Woman B, but because of responsibilities at home and overall pressure from society not to take high paying jobs, it's (unfairly) harder for women to get promotions or high paying jobs. I think a lot of women are socially conditioned not to be as agressive for raises and such in the workplace(again unfairly).

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

You're using a verb in there incorrectly.

20. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Yes, there are legitimate reasons why many women make less than men. There are also many reasons that are total ********, such as a belief that women are more emotional and less logical than men. The fact that many women choose to become stay-at-home mothers has no bearing on the fact that women who don't make that choice are, far too often, paid less than male counterparts. One doesn't cancel out the other or render it invalid.

21. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Sorry did I distract you from trying to prove how clever you are on a Star Wars forum? As you were.

potatochips likes this.
  22. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    An excellent article from Salon: The Plight of the Bitter Nerd. A few excerpts:

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OK I will read it, promise, but why is overweight Zach Braff on the MIT website?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  25. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    the author of that article, arthur chu, is the author of the titular article of this thread, btw