main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Misogyny, Entitlement, and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heero_Yuy, May 29, 2014.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    harpua Please tell me that is an old picture.

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    No... that "How to be Gorgeous" book came out last year.

4. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    The problem is when you only assume boys like superheroes or girls like princesses, like in that Chuck E Cheese's commercial I mentioned earlier, and you know what happens when you assume.....

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Harder to localize.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    SuperWatto is right that for-profit corporations aren't going to change their ways as long as they make a ton of money doing the same things, but that's not so much a valid excuse as another reason those entities are evil. Of course they're going to target "specific groups"-- people who are the most likely to be persuaded to pay for their product. Advertising is sociopathic. They sell mostly useless crap to people who wouldn't otherwise want that crap. In the process of targeting specific groups, these companies that wield enormous cultural influence not only reinforce gender norms and other socio-economic biases; they can end up creating them. Change needs to come from the people. It is, kind of, but it would be faster to just hang Disney executives.

Frank T. and SuperWatto like this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    How is it harder to localize? There are people who like princesses, and people who like superheroes. That's easy.

It sounds more like they don't want to make an effort to expand the capacity of their cerebral cortexes to include anyone who does not fit into the neat little categories they have made in their heads.

Pathetic and indefensible on their part.

Frank T. likes this.
  8. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Ugh that makes me want to vomit.

9. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Hey I can't help how these companies operate. Send them a letter.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You are defending their operations though. That's the point.

None of us can help it, but your post indicate that at best, you don't see it as a problem, at worst, you agree with their methods.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    More atrocities in children's literature.

[​IMG]

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    [face_sick]

I have corrected a few kids who have said that boys are not "supposed to" check out Dork Diaries or Pinkalicious, or girls are not "supposed to" check out the Iron Man comics.

Thankfully it's only happened a few times. Gives me hope for the lack of idiocy in the post-millennial generation, even if some companies are intent on perpetuating it.

Frank T. likes this.
  13. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I am completely neutral. I just observe that this is how it works. It used to upset me to, but now that I see that my kids get so much joy out of pink and princesses, I just shrug. I don't buy the products harps posts, I think they're in bad taste. But I don't complain about it; I might as well complain that gossip magazines are targeted towards women, and beer towards men.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I buy beer, and the first company that tells me that I'm not "supposed to" buy it, loses my business, even if I like the beer.

And yes, you are shrugging because your children fit the stereotype so it's all good. Thanks for proving my earlier point.

15. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Of course I shrug. It's not important. If my daughters would like superheroes, fine. I'd get them superheroes. If the product says "for boys", I don't get that particular product. It's just a product. You're free to not buy it. Hardly a thing to get angry at.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This is like a white man telling a black man not to be upset about racism. Do you not see this? Sorry, but I will continue to be pissed off by sexism until it goes away.

17. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Ok, let me get this straight, a bunch of parents are getting uppity about boys and girls toys and some other parents don't care.

But it seems only the children do not care. They just want their parents to get them stuff. And now, not wait till Christmas.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I can't "like" this one enough.

Way too much of a "you're just too sensitive to things that affect you but don't affect me" vibe going here.

The reason sexism still exists in 2015 is because some people think it is justified, and others claim it isn't but shrug at it and call it "not important."

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    But what can you do against it? Do you really want to make a law to prohibit gender marketing?

Again, I think the products are stupid too, I just don't think there's a lot you can do about it.

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'd like to do away with forced gender roles and stereotypes, yes.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So we should just be OK with it?

LOL. Hell no.

Are we moving from "you're too sensitive" to "just let it go, sweetheart"?

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    stfu, beez

23. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000

I'm going to bed, y'all have fun getting angry at toys

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    The clothing companies that I posted a couple of pages ago, not sure if you even looked--probably not, are a good start. We need more of that.

Like I said, several times now, I'm not on an anti-pink campaign... I don't want to ban items here... I want more options added, and that is the right way to get rid of assigned 'norms'--give more options to kids, so that those norms change over time... evolution-like.

I mean, we've progressed a fair amount, since these days... no reason to think further progression is impossible.

[​IMG]

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes.

Getting rid of assigned norms. As opposed to shrugging at them when they don't affect us personally because our kids fit them or something. [face_plain]

Juliet316 likes this.