main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Misogyny, Entitlement, and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heero_Yuy, May 29, 2014.

1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Most kids can learn workplace skills at home and school.

Like sharing, or helping others out. Showing up on time and most importantly.

Not have mom or dad call, to discuss why you didn't get the job and why you deserved it in the first place.

Or the ever popular, don't you dare call my son lazy, he is the best.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ben -- I'm not hugely in favor of it either, but there's tons and tons of evidence that suggests that boys and girls learn differently which is somewhat problematic if they're going to be in the same classroom.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I read a study in grad school indicating that librarians and library programs tend to favor girls; the reasoning cited is that most librarians are women and we tend to promote books that we read/enjoyed as children.

As such I read both volumes of this book and have taken an interest in the subject on my own, to the point where I had to consciously remind myself to order the "princess books" that some of my kindergarten and first grade girls have asked for. I have not had to remind myself to order superhero books, OTOH. (And many girls read those.)

I don't know about teachers "favoring" boys; I'm not arguing that there aren't studies indicating as much, I'm just wondering if teachers, and schools themselves, don't favor certain learning styles. Schools function best as an institution when a great number of students are proactive about their own learning but also able to sit still for long periods of time. So it seems that depending on the teacher and his or her style, students with traditionally "male" characteristics and students with traditionally "female" characteristics could be favored.

Juliet316 and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Isn't there some style that's gender neutral?

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I doubt that it's really all that problematic as that's something that every teacher is taught to deal with because every kid will be different in how they learn! We can't afford one-on-one tuition, well unless you're loaded, therefore classes are the next best option.

Nor am I convinced segregating the genders is all that productive, then again the girls that I was at school needed no lessons in confidence so maybe that's skewed the picture for me. People talk about girls and women lacking confidence, I really can't say I've ever met any that do, but again, maybe that's just me.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    All styles are gender neutral as we're talking about personalities, which can cross genders.

That's why I said you'll see studies that show that boys are falling behind, and you'll see studies that show that teachers favor boys.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Ah I see now. That makes sense.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Are you saying that listening is a female characteristic?

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I would say "LOLwut?" but...never mind.

Ewok Poet, Juliet316 and Jedi Ben like this.
  10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Not listening is a Beezel characteristic.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    "3 score and 10 cookies ago..."

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  14. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    It's a messy situation as there's a whole bunch of racial elements in play too, which simplified way down basically point to black boys getting mostly negative attention and white boys getting more positive attention and if you look at the failing demographics, as a whole, it's not the white boys who need the positive attention.

As a teacher I think it's equally important to hold all my kids to high academic standards and care about them as people, not just students. I think the problem comes in that girls internalize that teachers perceive their male classmates to be more important than they are. That's not even including all the cultural issues I deal with where I have male students that literally will not work in a group with female students because they see girls as beneath them.

I don't know what the answer is. I know the number one factor for predicting how well a student does in the school is the level of their mother's education. I know that if you look at demographics in terms of social class and race, you get bigger academic performance gaps than when you look at gender. I do think it's not a bad practice for teachers to note how often they call on certain students during class in order to notice any patterns. And if a teacher is going to go to a football game, then they should make a point to go to the school play or something else as well. (Heck, I'm on the opposite end, I hate football games, so I have to make it a point to go to at least one since I go to other activites that my kids participate in.)

Though apparently, according to my state and federal government, the answer to all these problems is to standardize test more.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  15. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Level of mother's education, I don't buy that one for anything.

I know quite a few parents with little to no education who fought like hell to give their kids a better life and better education.

I was one of those good kids not because my mom was college educated, or because I was middle class white male. It was because I was interested in learning. I still am. For me learning has never stopped. I didn't need my mom's pushiness to get good grades. I just did it on my own. Plus I shared what I knew with other kids. Yes I let them copy off of tests and quizzes, and we all worked together on assignments but so what. Its how we all moved forward in school. We didn't have the opportunities that some kids have. I was apart of a school with sixty kids in my class and not a lot of opportunities for learning. But it didn't mean I gave up. The others around me we all did our work together because we all got better grades and succeeded as a group. We worked together to learn and it benefitted all of us.

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    How much did those other kids really benefit if they copied off your tests? At some point, wouldn't they have to stand on their knowledge, not yours?

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Final exams kinda sucked for some of the kids. Only one kid got the opportunity to sit next to me when we took the tests.

But everyone passed the classes because the grades were all high because of the quizzes. Teachers didn't care because they realized we all worked together to get thru the homework.

I even had cliff notes for a book that a teacher knew about. He asked for them at the end so he could use them to make up quizzes for next time.

18. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Just so you know I was a poor kid without google and a computer so I actually had to learn the answers.

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    omfg woooooooooooooooooooooow

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah. LOL. Nobody who grew up without Google was able to learn, well, anything.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I had to Google in the snow!

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I carried my Apple IIe uphill both ways, with plastic grocery bags over my feet because I couldn't afford boots.

And I LIKED it.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    V-2 likes this.
  24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I don't think anybody here is impressed by your level of education, so you might want to drop this tangent.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I feel sorry for the poor kids that copied from beezel's HW.

Juliet316 likes this.