main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Misogyny, Entitlement, and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heero_Yuy, May 29, 2014.

1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    There are some well done and provocative films about the Bosnian war without the need watch trash.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    i think this deserves a response from Ender, possible in one his other threads.

The irony of lumping such a massive group of diverse people is quite funny, considering.

harpua likes this.
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    We're talking about A Serbian Film, right? Is there a reason no one will even say the name?

4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Now people will google it and then they will hate me for ever mentioning it. But I had to show IATI that his random comments may lead to pretty scary things.

On-topic...an actress otherwise known for appearing naked in many films and series literally played a corpse in that. And that leads me to what Mira Furlan said about treatment of women in the ex-Yugoslavian cinema in general. There was and still is too much gratuitous rape in pretty much every firm, erotic scenes that add nothing to the story and I cannot think of many films with anything even remotely feminist in them.

Are there any western cinematographies notorious for this?

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I think it's referring to a couple of psychos who filmed themselves killing people. Homeless guy sleeping on a bench, etc, horrible stuff.Using their cellphones. So production values are low. No one ever realises they should shoot in landscape.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

I think because, if people haven't had the... pleasure of being acquainted with it even conceptually (it was banned here, and the media coverage of the ban is how I know of it) they may wish to be spared finding out it exists?

7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Yes, it's that.

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Nope. But they rape a child and a newborn in it. And the lead actor ends up comitting a suicide together with his wife and son, solely for a crew to turn up and another actor to be instructed to rape all three corpses. A film-in-a-film about neverending torture.

And it's supposed to be a metaphor. [face_sick]

Diggy likes this.
  9. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i read the plot summary out of curiosity, once. it didn't end up on my watch list.

Emperor_Time likes this.
  10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    The BBC's Death of Yugoslavia and Bill Carter's Miss Sarajevo are better films about the Bosnian war.

edit: Thomas Carter? What?

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well eww.

Emperor_Time likes this.
  12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, okay, now they know the title. It's not like talking about a horrible Serbian film is much more vague. The title of the movie is A Serbian Film; you could literally find it on Google by searching for any film from Serbia. :p

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well now everyone knows Rogue! :p

14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I urge people to watch Black Cat White Cat instead.

15. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    Ugh. I think I will stick to Borat if I want to watch Serbian cinema.

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Isn't stereotypisation sort of against the values of this thread?

Assuming everything "eastern" looks like some weird comedian's vision of a former-USSR country in Asia is scary. I don't want to get to the point where I'm explaining people that yes, I do have electricity. [face_shame_on_you]

And why did I just reply to such an obvious sock?

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I think the point of Borat, who yes is quite Central Asian and not Eastern European, was to highlight the prejudices in Western thought Ewok Poet. Not to mock Kazakhstan or those "Uzbeki *******s!"

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    For every person that gets it, there are nineteen people who think it's real. That's where the problem is.

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Well ****. Why did I have to highlight the HTR text. *goes to find industrial grade brain bleach and kitty videos*

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I don't think so. It's pretty obvious that it's satirical and outlandish comedy. It's not meant to be taken literally. I'd wager that the vast majority of people who have seen it are completely aware of what it is.

22. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Cool link, Poet. Saved. :)

Glad you think so but unfortunately many many people DO take projected biases and stereotypes within film/tv as accurate/fact. Concern is warranted.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    What Cushy said. I know a surprising number of people who argue in comments on The Onion type of websites, convinced the "news" is valid.

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That's unfortunate, but I don't think we should do away with satire, in order to pander to the gullible and ignorant.

25. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Well said wench

G-FETT and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.