main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Misogyny, Entitlement, and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heero_Yuy, May 29, 2014.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I agree, but what I was trying to imply is that once a person is used to being seen as barbaric, they won't know if somebody is joking or not. I had people genuinely asking me if I am allowed to date without a permission, if I have to hide my face, if I could finish high school and things like that. One needs to be on the other side of the story to truly grasp the extent of this.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

This. The people who take Borat seriously, for example, aren't much different from the people who unwittingly share their bias with Sasha Baron Cohen. If people fail to grasp satire or are offended by it, that only makes the case stronger in favour of it. Not weaker.

But is their ignorance born out of these satirical caricatures, or is it merely reinforced by them?

TrakNar and harpua like this.
  3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Watch it, ****head.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I'm sorry, I couldn't resist

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Try harder, next time.

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

They were British, American and, in a couple of cases, German and Dutch. So...hmmm. Trying to think about it.

7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    What is going on here? Did we travel back to medieval times when calling a lady a wench was acceptable?

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I think he was trying to be funny, but he failed miserably (as usual).

9. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    Sorry, Ewok Poet. I hope I didn't spread any misinformation to the impressionable. I just wanted to make fun of my own ignorance - I didn't even know where eastern Europe was till I got into a couple of surf bands from Croatia and Slovenia and looked at those countries on Google maps. I was actually shocked they were right across from Italy.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

We live in an age where information is available literally instantaneously and within the confines of the couch we struggle to rise from. Yet people form opinions in a vacuum; cling to stifling prejudicial views about gender and sexuality, and feel that race is something that matters because in saying this Their Race is more noble and "less savage" than others.

Using satire to highlight ignorance, even if people do not understand the satire and take the humour at crass face value, only makes the satire more potent.

Hank Hill, TX-20, TrakNar and 2 others like this.
  11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, at least he got the thread back to misogyny after it had wandered into discussing the cinema of Eastern Europe.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Whenever the Balkans are brought up everything just falls apart. [face_beatup]

Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes comparing Slow's fan***** videos to A Serbian Film was the intention. I read a plot synopsis of it two years ago, and it's still burned in my head. I can't get it out. I feel awful for bringing it up now since it lead to two pages of people's reactions to the plot summery. This is nearly as bad as the time where I jokingly recommended my friend and his GF to watch it. I am a terrible person worse than Hitler.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Were they still your friends after they watched it?

15. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, because women totally can't be intelligent, logical thinkers. Especially not non-white or attractive women.

Even more bewildering than the "women can't do that, lol" comments were the comments saying that she looks too sexy to appeal to other women, and that she should not be looking so sexy. Someone said she should look more like a real woman. Someone else said it's obviously baiting men into working there, because she's smirking sexily.

Because an attractive woman smiling in a T-shirt is not only "too sexy", she's also 100% not a real woman.

If this is how some people think...wow.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Sometimes I think nostalgically back to the days before the internet..before the dark times. I know people were ****wits back then as well but it wasn't as in your face.

Hey, does Slowpoke now have an IMDB page?

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OMG SHE IS HAWT HOW CAN SHE BE SMRT

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    So talking about the sportier kind of nerd, what do you think about the fact that Manchester United has now started Selling separate men's and women's supporter shirts, and they look like this:

[​IMG]

I feel quite conflicted about this actually. I mean it's great that they have finally made a women's shirt, but to me it also signals that once again women have to be sexy, even when expressing their support of a team. And if you aren't sexy and good looking in a plunging neckline, then you can just as well use the men's t-shirt, which is bulky and sure to hide all female forms. (don't get me started on the whole unisex t-shirts are actually just men's t-shirt)

19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Who says you can't be sexy in the men's kit?
    [​IMG]

Ewok Poet and Ender Sai like this.
  20. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Well it would be nice if you could wear something that's female, but not sexy.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  21. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    So unisex shirts are simply a marketing ploy? I always thought they made some special accommodations so both men/women could wear them. That's deceptive marketing if that's the case.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I agree, it looks hideous to have a Chevrolet badge on Man U kit.

But seriously, it's not different across sports that have been offering women's wear for years:

[​IMG]

23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I think they could fit more sponsors on those shirts! Cripes!

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yep, that's F1 for you.

I think what sporting merchandise does is really assume the fans are themselves quite active. The men's kit is also not designed for slim, athletic men so the 200kg fan, half way through his 9th pie, might not be the target demographic either.

25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Seriously.... why would anybody wear something with all those ****ing logos on it? I have no desire to be a walking advertisement.

V-2 and Juliet316 like this.