main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Misogyny, Entitlement, and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heero_Yuy, May 29, 2014.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Is there a replica version of this kit tailored for women in a less overtly sexualised style, or is this a woman's only option other than the men's (unisex) style?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    My grandma barracked for Man U when she was alive (we still loved her). It would have been awkward buying her a shirt that was designed for Hooters.

3. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Manure are one of (if not the biggest) sports clubs globally, their merchandising is a massive revenue stream for them. If this shirt is one style of many different styles and cuts of women's shirts available this season that's not so bad, if it's their only offering for women, that is piss poor.

4. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Yeah I mean if Iron Maiden can do it then a mega football team can too.

5. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    What's wrong with being sexy?

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    actually, the reason this is causing an issue is that Manchester Untied had had women specific kits for years. However they have the men's neckline and just different in how the torso and waist are cut. This is common across many clubs.

7. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    I have had a U.S. Jersey for years that is women's cut and it does not show off my boobs like that. I think they specifically tailored that photo to make it look that way for the Man U jersey. The U.S. Football jerseys that are women's cut also do not show off cleavage like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I just ordered a woman's cut Panthers shirt and it has a round neck, it's not low-cut.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    At least it's not pink? (like what used to be the only option for a lot of NFL female merchandise).

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    There is a well-followed female Manchester Untied fan on Twitter. She complained about the shirt. You'll never guess what sort of feedback she got.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm sure I can't guess at all.

Diggy likes this.
  12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    One more thing on this. It maybe that other sport has shirts like that, but it's irrelevent. This is a first for football, and hopefully it will be the last. I mean, what if the women's short were these?

[​IMG]

If that shirts okay, so are those I guess. There is just no good reason to make a replica kit...well, not a replica.

But at least Sepp Blatter will be happy! To quote that idiot, "let the women ply in more feminine clothes...they could, for example, have tighter shorts. Female players are pretty."

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    We call those boyshorts here. Primarily for underwear or workouts.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    But entirely unacceptable for what is supposed to be a replica kit.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  15. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Whilst United will have signed off the shirt who actually designed it?

Was it Adidas that pushed it on United or did they ask for the low cut design?

Either way they deserve the grief for signing it off but it would be interesting to know who designed it.

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Women's cut is fine - usually the shirt is shorter, sleeves as well if long sleeved. Round necklines are oftentimes but not always a bit lower: V necks aren't uncommon. *Most* do not show off cleavage, and if you notice, in that photo the angle is not straight front on, but a bit higher POV. As long as there are options, I'm don't get upset.

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The options are buy the v-neck or the men's shirt.

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Nope, it's not. I have several WSU and Seahawks T-shirts, most are round necks. The jerseys are regular jerseys. All a woman's shirt.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    We are talking Manchester Untied.

20. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Okie dokie then - ignore all my posts as they're not relevant.

21. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Going by other photos online of it...it's definitely low cut enough that it's making people uncomfortable. It's not just women's cut, it's specifically a women's cut V-neck. And a low v-neck at that. I have plenty of v-neck shirts that don't show off that much cleavage. If they want to sell it, I have no problem with it. But I would not be buying it. Sad that it's the only option.

The old one was a lot different and had a much higher neckline like the men's kit (of course, that one was designed by Nike). Why they couldn't rebrand that style and go forward, I have no idea.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I actually have no problem with them selling it, but they need to offer an actual replica alongside it.

And I wouldn't buy it, even if I was female, as I'd not be caught dead wearing that rag :)

23. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Men's Sizes: XL, XXL, XXXL, XXXXL, etc.
    Women's Sizes: Small with lower half removed to allow better airflow around the belly button area.

24. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    They could have used a model for women's football shirts, that is actually used by women athletes, and they clearly have the model in their inventory. It even has a V-neck.
    [​IMG]

25. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    It would be fine if MUFC were licensing the kit design to be used on a variety of different cuts and shapes. I kind of thought that's what they were doing, too. Is it really the only one?