main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Misogyny, Entitlement, and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heero_Yuy, May 29, 2014.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Really not sure what this has to do with video games or nerds, unless you're trying to say nerds are all incels or something?

2. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    All nerds aren't incels, but all incels are nerds.

Darth Punk likes this.
  3. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nothing to do with nerds, and I could have put this in the Feminism thread, but I put it here because the initial post was made after the Elliott Rogers murders and the incels idolize Elliott Rogers.

5. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Honestly, part of the toxic masculinity that creates incels is the hatred of nerds and "non-alpha" males and posts made here aren't helping at all.

6. a star war

May 4, 2016
    the toxic masculinity that creates incels is the self-hatred of nerds.

Rew and Master_Rebado like this.
  7. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    A society that emphasizes men aren't men unless they're having lots of sexual partners*

8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    It ticks the misogyny and entitlement boxes. Two out of three ain't bad.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’d say it’s a sense of entitlement as well as a viewpoint that women are property, as well as a viewpoint that “real” men FIGHT for their “property,” that creates incels.

10. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Can recall that Elliot Rodgers (not by name but by his infamous act) and remember how pathetic he came across.

Was unaware of the "incel" thing and equally they are pathetic.

If certain individuals do not find you interesting (or dare I use the word attractive) then just let it go but it's likely these individuals are undiagnosed mentally ill/maladjusted so the rational thinking pattern on how to handle this would not apply.

Note - citing mentall illness only as a possibility for some of these cases and certainly NOT an excuse for their pathetic POV.

Iron_lord and Juliet316 like this.
  11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Partially. It's definitely ownership, but it's also projecting a lot of insecurities via externalisation onto two sets of groups. Incels don't just hate women ("Stacys"), they also hate men who have relationships with women ("Chads", whom women select based on their looks - making women vapid and petty in their decision making, another form of disempowerment).

In that sense they're actually really derivative, uninspired carbon-copies of every other form of reactionary extremist ever. The fear of "failure", of being less than perfect or wrong, is a hugely destructive driving force in our society. People cope in different ways; some hit up substances and self medicate/self abuse. Some get help and don't internalise their pain. And some perpetuate denial by channelling it outwards.

I have no tolerance at all for the latter.

12. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    This one defo sounds like a nerd, and by referring to body count as "high score" into video games.
    WARNING: LANGUAGE
    [​IMG]

13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    TIL fratboy types who play call of duty are also nerds

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Vivec why are you defensive on this? I'm genuinely keen to understand it.

15. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    maybe we should start an incel thread. I for one had not heard about it before today. I can't believe it's actually a thing, and i'm intrigued. This thread seems like the perfect place to discuss it, but if it's an issue we can go somewhere else.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah it fits here nicely, but it won't be much of a discussion. We'll mock them and get the occasional socktroll trying to cause mischief. It'll be a blast.

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I doubt there are many self-described incels among the regulars, and I doubt those who do use that label would out themselves (though I think there was one guy years ago). So yeah, it would be pretty one-sided, thankfully.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  18. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Then again if such a person did exist here the creation of a thread dedicated entirely to making fun of them could send them into a murderous spree it's just so verry easy to set them off on those.

Zapdos and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  19. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
  20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Was that @Sock Puppet user actually just OZK? Because he got mad when I compared the sock to Elliot Rodgers.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    @Darth Guy - I agree in the JC that there's not likely to be any. It's the non-JC'ers I am talking about - ST fans, for example.

22. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    *twitch twitch* murder murder *twitch*

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    pipe down OZK

24. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    No!

*vanishes with a twirl of foreskin-cape*

25. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Why are people so unsympathetic to the pressure these white middle class beta males are under?

Jedi Merkurian and Diggy like this.