main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Misogyny, Entitlement, and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heero_Yuy, May 29, 2014.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    We are the internet equivalent of homeschooling. So I agree with you, for the same reason.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean, I'm not a liberal and I hold some opinions most people here don't like. So that hasn't been my experience at least.

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Please don't make viv angry.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    lol just lol if you think authentic discourse is possible within the capitalist milieu and its systemic colonization of the lifeworld.

That's right, come at me crypto-Popperites! But know that in coming at me you are only doing so in a totally bureaucratized compartmentalization through which decisions are made decoupled from your authentic self-interest!

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I agree that this place is an echo chamber. We should get Roseanne Barr to sign up. I hear she suddenly has a lot of free time.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh like syndicalist peasant ever read any Habermas. He skimmed the bread book, tops.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    tom and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  8. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Last month the New Yorker posted a commentary piece about incels: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-rage-of-the-incels Nothing shockingly insightful there, the piece is pretty much summed up by its subtitle: "Incels aren’t really looking for sex. They’re looking for absolute male supremacy." However, I found it interesting. The sources for the story were apparently incel messageboards, and as someone who's interested in linguistics, I was sort of morbidly fascinated by the weird and warped incel slang.

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Maybe they should use that linguistic creativity for something positive and constructive.

I think it's really underestimated how much men blame themselves if they feel undesirable. We saw a spectacular demonstration of this in this very thread. We saw someone blame himself for being a kiss-less nerd in high school and actually agree that he was unacceptable. He responded to this by endeavoring to bench press 250 pounds, and by energetically recommending other men do the same. The insecurity was just oozing and fully on display.

I think the societal pressure to get ripped, bro and to acquire a Transformers car and an IMDB page is actually pretty significant.

I don't agree with this. I don't think this is actually true.

It's what male incels do, but I don't think most men blame women if they feel undesirable. It's as if this person thinks men are entirely incapable of blaming themselves when they feel undesirable, when that isn't even close to true.

It's almost as if they actually blame themselves and their lack of looks/money. It's almost as if they believe they will be unacceptable unless they spend time, money, and mental effort to be ripped, rich, and appealing to women.

I do agree with this:

and I find it very troubling. It's a serious problem I've found even myself subjected to, and I would like it to stop, not just for myself, but for every boy and man in this world. I would love to see a positive men's movement focused on making male culture less angry, self-destructive and violent.

These people are lost in a sad, delusional fiction. Maybe whoever invented the Red Pill theory should have wrote a fricking novel (with The Matrix plagiarism left out), it takes an amazing (though twisted) imagination to come up with such an outrageous global conspiracy. With all the people who actually buy it as a reality, think how many would buy it as an admitted work of fiction (it is fiction). Honestly, I think it rivals Dan Brown for its nonsensical re-imagining of reality. Stop wasting your time on toxic fantasies and start channeling it into constructive art. Yes, your pain can actually result in art that has a positive effect on the world, there are plenty of examples. Either that, or just accept reality instead of bothering with blatantly nonsensical conspiracies to explain something that is in fact very ordinary and easily explained.

I mean, look at this quote:

Sounds like a Star Wars villain. And it just keeps going and getting sicker and more ludicrous. These aren't people living in anything close to reality.

As far as redistribution of sex...wtf? Nope. You may want sex, but you don't always get what you want. They'll just have to deal with it, and fix their broken minds. I guess we can help them with the latter, but it's not like we haven't been trying.

Which leads me to this:

Absolutely this. It's just...sadly ironic how much self-destruction is involved. We can help ourselves by letting go.

If you accept toxic masculinity as, well, toxic, it just seems inevitable that it would lead to this level of sickness if taken to its furthest degrees.

I do have sympathy for people who desire sex, love, etc and aren't getting it. To desire is to suffer. It's just sad that toxic incels (apparently the term was coined by a queer woman who just wanted to help people going through what she went through) have taken over and absolutely ruined any sympathy anyone might have for them.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    SateleNovelist11, V-2, Rew and 6 others like this.
  10. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    It's not as simple a dealing with it.
    The need sex is a biological drive imbeded in all of us. If that need is not meet it's going to result in unhealthy behaviours.

Telling someone to just accept accept a life of celibacy is going to make a lot of people deranged mentally, the same as denying them another social need.

Of course no one owes them sex.

I hate to say it but legalizing and heavily regulating prostitution might be a way to go forward. I mean if a woman or man voluntarily wants to sell sex? I don't see the issue legally.

Well yeah most the time it is their fault. No one owes them sex.

And doing the above will increase their chances.
    Good looks And money will make them more appealing.
    It's evolutionary biology and psychology. Good looks indicates healthy offspring and material success the ability to look after them.

The big more is confidence. A cliche I know but it's true. Hanging around on a incle forum and wallowing in emotionally insecurity is going to kill all chances.
    These are not big things to change.

Or do what I did, cheat. I went abroad to a country where just being white made you supper attractive. It gets your foot in the door at least.

As for "your princess is in another castle" premise? I don't see the problem with the idea.
    If you keep looking and seaching their is going to be someone somewhere. Even Hitler found love.

11. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Crazyewok is cute. Can I keep him?

12. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Well that's ruined roast beef.

Or maybe it's improved it?

I guess we'll find out on Sunday

13. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
  14. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    Unfortunately I am spoken for :p

15. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    A Star Wars fan should know all there is to know about the possibilities of deals being altered ;)

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  17. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Also eu

Well I’ve been down a lovely rabbit hole this morning. Thanks @poor yorick

Journey;
    1. @poor yorick ’s link to New Yorker piece on incels
    2. Incel.me (WARNING: DON’T)
    3. Read the expression “micro cheating”
    4. Come to the realisation that the snowflake generation have a brittle spirit

poor yorick likes this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I don't know that this generation is necessarily worse. But in the early 90's and before these incels had to brood alone in their bedrooms. Now they can go online and have a support network which validates them. When they need a swift kick up the backside.

The internet is truly a double edged sword. On one hand, it leads to this sort of crap, so **** you internet. On the other hand, it afforded me the opportunity to meet people like you, so **** you internet.

19. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    One thing that struck me about Christine Blasey Ford's testimony was her statement that she had felt that she needed a second front door to her house back in 2012. This in itself in not unusual. She felt there would be more than one escape route should she need to flee. When I went to a Mediterranean restaurant called Zonga's for years, before it closed, I felt safe because I knew where all three exits were. Inside, I could see everyone coming in and coming out, and on the patio, I could see the same. If I felt the need to leave, I would know where to go speedily. The same went for a tattoo parlor I frequented last year. I could briskly exit if I felt uncomfortable by any frightening presence, such as a large, burly person. So, I totally get that. My own dwellings have been similar in that regard. Having been assaulted in two small houses and once outdoors, I prefer to avoid people who make me uncomfortable and to know how to leave swiftly.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Chewgumma, Juliet316 , Ava G. and 2 others like this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  21. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016

22. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    I wish I had three exits. If someone tries to get into my back door the best I can do is beat them off.

Diggy likes this.
  23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm sure they appreciate it too. Do you use lube?

24. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    [​IMG]

25. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015