Senate Your Princess Is in Another Castle: Misogyny, Entitlement, and Nerds

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heero_Yuy, May 29, 2014.

1. Zapdos Force Ghost

star 5
    what's going on in here
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Just lock the stupid thread already. Haven't we suffered enough?
  3. Diggy Force Ghost

star 5
    Tosh.

Should both genders and all races have equal rights? Not do, but should.
  4. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    You don't have to read it... and no.
  5. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Y'know, it doesn't help that the Senate tag is the same color as the Video Game tag. I wasn't looking closely and I thought this was a Super Mario thread. :(
  6. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Super Mario is a misogynistic symbol of the male oppressor, so no, it's not the same.
    TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    But the whole getting the princess as your reward thing from Mario was kind of what prompted the title of the original article that got this thread running to begin with :p
  8. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Funny, I read it solely as a reference to TV tropes.
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost

star 4
  10. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    I was in a cranky mood earlier. Keep it open.
  11. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    k... thanks for the go-ahead.
    Point Given likes this.
  12. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    According to JWox...

[IMG]
    Point Given likes this.
  13. Heero_Yuy Chosen One

star 4
  14. Wanderguard Jedi Master

star 1
    MRA's are unique among advocate groups in that they aren't really an advocate group so much as a collection of emotionally damaged, insecure people feeding off of each others' bitterness. Also, they are terrible. Yeah...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. TOSCHESTATION Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes.
  16. Heero_Yuy Chosen One

star 4
    There's a very funny and enlightening audio clip on YouTube from a radio show that had this lawyer who was a serial anti-feminist (his words) call in. They were initially interested in hearing what he had to say, but quickly caught on to his hypocritical, agenda driven point of view. One of them even called him a, "special interest parody," and accurately deconstructed how this middle-aged lawyer just wanted to make it easier for himself to hit on younger women at bars.
  17. Wanderguard Jedi Master

star 1
    Special interest parody, I like it.

The unfortunate thing is that there's potential for a men's advocacy group to be a great thing if it acknowledged that a lot of the issues men face are due to the same patriarchy that feminism tries to address. If MRAs worked in tandem with feminist groups instead of hating women, I think a lot more people would get on board, but they don't, and everyone suffers.

18. Heero_Yuy Chosen One

star 4
    The problem is, people who identify as MRAs aren't really interested in the things you speak of. Those who are like that tend to identify as feminists or allies. Like everything else, MRAs are exclusively sad losers who blame women for their inability to get laid and just want to make it harder for women to refuse consent. And that goes for every single one of them.

I forgot to mention that anti-feminist lawyer actually challenged Jim Norton (one of the hosts) to a duel in Peru. Yeah . . .
  19. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    When did this whole MRA nonsense start? Because it's really pathetic.
    Mata2010 and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Wanderguard Jedi Master

star 1
    I don't know that I would generalize to that extent, because there are probably a few people who identify with the idea of men's advocacy who have good intentions and don't get what the community at large is about. I've not met any, but I'm sure they're out there.

21. Heero_Yuy Chosen One

star 4
    Why do you think that is? ;)

You're likely right, but the amount of so called rational MRAs is probably so small that it doesn't really matter when discussing the group's short comings. Kinda like NotAllMen for special interest groups. It actually reminds me of how people mention stereotypical man hating feminists. While they DO indeed exist, they're so small a minority in the feminist community that it makes little sense to mention them in any significant manner when discussing feminism as a whole.
    Valairy Scot likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Rational-thinking MRA's are about as likely as a non-hateful Westboro member.
  23. Heero_Yuy Chosen One

star 4
    ^ Pretty much. Though the article I linked to does mention how the MRAs seem to take advantage of those who are really just lonely and unable to connect with women, subsequently poisoning their minds with MRA propaganda. Instead of those lonesome fellows taking a good look at themselves, they're told to blame women for deliberately keeping them as virgins.

MRAs, Loveshies, Incels . . . They're all pretty much cut from the same cloth.
    Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Well, they got one thing right.

We are deliberately keeping them virgins.

Who the hell wants to have sex with someone like that?
  25. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    It's been around since second-wave feminism, with different groups agreeing with feminism and others rejecting it. But this offshoot, blatantly misogynistic, fedora-wearing movement seems to have been popularized by sites like reddit.
    harpua and Adam of Nuchtern like this.