main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Misogyny, Entitlement, and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heero_Yuy, May 29, 2014.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm still trying to figure out why there was a random picture of Connor MacLeod in the middle of the article...

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    PC Master Race Ender

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Reason #927575 why I told my sons that I will not buy an XBox Live subscription.

4. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Yeah, I don't even want to think about 18 years of PMs and chat transcripts, having been a person with both a vagina and an internet connection.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

I'm not suggesting it is. However, most of the recorded evidence of this kind of overt misogyny comes from console game experiences. PC gaming isn't pure, but I'm saying in the games I've played I don't encounter sexism. I did in WoW a lot back in 2007, but SWTOR these days seems to avoid it pretty well.

6. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    I dunno, but I tend to blush a lot when I'm around scantily clad women, which can be really embarrassing. And you know Freud said blushing is a "displaced erection"!

7. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    yeah okay, so uhh.. what are you saying?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. jamesdrax

Aug 30, 2000
    It means that although I'm controlling myself, my inner sexual desires manifest in the colour of my face. When a man blushes, everyone knows he's straining to repress his sexuality.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    What are you going on about.

Many people blush when they're called on in class, have to speak in public, become embarrassed. I do. The last thing I'm thinking about when I'm called on in a meeting and my face turns red is sex.

10. jamesdrax

Aug 30, 2000
    You might not necessarily be thinking about sex on a conscious level, but your body is responding to your subconscious, which is wired for sex. We're also more prone to blush in formal settings where we're under pressure to keep our cool, and any deviation from the norm can result in intense blush responses. Many people also equate blushing with repressed sexuality, so if they point out your blushing, it actually makes it even more intense, because it feels like you've been caught thinking racy thoughts. Therefore you become embarrassed that you've been caught being embarrassed! And in today's formal settings, sex is an embarrassing topic.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Erm, OK.

So men should not be asked to stop themselves from raping a woman who made them blush?

What kind of ridiculous rabbit hole are you going down with this?

12. jamesdrax

Aug 30, 2000
    Nothing to do with rape at all, but I believe blushing is a primal artifact that signals that the body wants sex, but our civilised side has repressed this desire. Let's just say if you see a bloke blushing, best bet is he's got sex on the brain, but his primal desires are inhibited by his moral code and his awareness of social taboos.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    OK. What does that have to do with the topic again?

Let's say you're right and some guys blush when they see a girl in a skimpy outfit. As long as he understands that he is not entitled to have sex with her because her outfit made him blush, what's the point?

14. jamesdrax

Aug 30, 2000
    Good question, but the point is a guy can only do so much to prevent his sexual desire from rearing its head. If that woman in the skimpy outfit made him blush, obviously his body is sexually responding to her, but the part of his brain that's been morally conditioned to tell him that "sex is bad, m'kay" kicks in and gets in a tug of war with the caveman in his subconscious. This war between civilisation and barbarianism results in a deep shade of crimson in the facial epidermis.

How people deal with this depends on the individual. But ultimately, almost everything comes back to sex and repression.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Actually, sex isn't bad.

Sexual assault, up to and including rape, is.

And any individual who thinks that he just can't help himself and that he is entitled to sex because she "made him blush" is the epitome of ***hole.

The end.

16. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    see, the reason why we're wondering is because you started mentioning repressed desires, blushing and displaced erections to a comment miana made about rape. you should have clarified it, if it had nothing to do with rape.

to me it sounded like the typical "men should be able to control themselves, but-" argument.

17. jamesdrax

Aug 30, 2000
    Actually I was responding more to the poster's point that women are told to cover up, lest they distract the boys. Many of them blush when faced with sex in a social context, which is an unpleasant feeling and its probably more prevalent among people who live in a world where old conservative values still rule with an iron fist.

This "entitlement" thing doesn't factor into my part of the discussion, because the involuntary act of blushing is an indicator that even though the body has a subtle visual way of expressing its desire for sex, his rational thought processes inhibit him from action. The only downside to blushing is social ridicule because everyone knows a blush is a signpost for repressed sexual desire, and people in general act differently when blushing. They tend to engage in evasive behaviour or they might become a little hyperactive in a vain effort to draw attention away from the blushing.

There's so much in the world of sexual frustration among human beings that I find absolutely fascinating!

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Again, what is your point in relation to the thread topic?

Are you suggesting that women should cover up in order to keep men from blushing and getting embarrassed?

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    jamesdrax. I remember you. I remember this guy. And the search for some larger point may be in vain.

20. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

Do they, though? Do they?

21. jamesdrax

Aug 30, 2000

Not at all! In fact I'd encourage society to be less repressed by being more open about their sexuality. How this would be achieved would be up to... wiser people.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree that repressed sexuality is stupid but I'm not sure what solution you are suggesting.

If men yell crass comments at women instead of blushing, that's still pretty terrible.

If a man instead goes up to a woman he finds attractive and strikes up a conversation to see if they might enjoy spending time together, that would make sense.

But decent, polite men do this anyway, unless they are painfully shy, which has nothing to do with repressed sexuality.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. jamesdrax

Aug 30, 2000
    Blushing is merely a manifestation or symptom of repression. However it can cause severe social phobias and anxieties that can cripple a person.

What's needed is to ease this repression, and therefore this animosity that's growing between men and women over the last few years may be eradicated.

And I believe shyness is linked to repression. It's a manifestation of shame that one cannot perform socially and therefore unable to court the opposite sex (or even the same sex, since that's the way things seem to be going these days), which leads to a deep and profound frustration.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  25. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    i still don't understand where you're going with this, james

Ender Sai likes this.