main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Misogyny, Entitlement, and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heero_Yuy, May 29, 2014.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    On second thoughts.... The below link pretty much makes the case that even attempting to work out where or how misogyny gets generated would be a waste of time!

NSFW and some seriously sick stuff:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-ways-gamers-still-suck-at-dealing-with-women/

Should clarify that the article itself is fine but the stuff it quotes..... It's the quotes that are the killer evidence.

It was a well-intentioned suggestion but it would have set us on a road to hell! I like to try to be constructive and collaborative in net discussions, but think my idea would have ultimately failed in the face of the level and sheer viciousness of the bile involved.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    edit: oops, a bit behind.

3. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Most of those nerds complaining about girls are 13-year-old boys. Who cares what they think. They themselves don't care what they think.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Wish I could believe that but there's a sophistication and malice in those quotes that only comes with age.

5. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    Juliet316 likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Even if they are only 13, I want to know where they are learning sexism from.

7. sharkymcshark

Dec 12, 2013

"Evolutionary biology"

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

First off, not all of them are thirteen year olds. There are those who are twenty three, thirty three and even forty three. Second, those that are thirteen should be educated now while there is still a chance to make them into better individuals before they wind up like the forty year old guy who hates women.

I don't believe it's in the DNA to be sexist. It's more environmental factors such as influence from others, which results in that than anything. I've been raised predominately by my mother and was around my sister, my mom's youngest sister and my maternal grandmother more than I was my father, my brother and my stepfather. This has influenced my perceptions on women and thus don't have a misogynist view towards women. Even as a teenager in school, where I never dated, I never hated the girls for not wanting anything to do with me. I disliked them for other reasons, but I never wanted to slut shame them, nor felt that a couple of classmates deserved a harsh fate for treating me like crap.

9. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It's definitely upbringing and not biology. If treating women like crap were genetic, we'd be in far more trouble than we already are. I don't believe for a second that men who are not sexist--and I've actually encountered far, far more of them than the other, ***hole kind--are having to resist their biological urges every time they treat women as human beings and equal citizens.

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
  12. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i just have to laugh at these guys. they actually feel so threatened by influential women like this that their first and only reaction is to want to ruin her life. the only weapon they have is calling her a whore and go looking for nudes. not really a strong argument, is it. but yeah, i realise that they're not trying to win a debate here--they just want to raise hell.

the worst part is probably how some of them are actually surprised to hear that she's a feminist. apparently she's ruined now that she's "come out" as a feminist. i don't think they realise how common the feministic mindset is in the people that walk among them every day. their minds are so narrow that it didn't even cross their minds that a pretty, successful woman like her would be interested in fighting for equality. i think that says something about how little they actually know about the subject.

they must realise that she's had to make quite an impression on 4chan in order for them to get this worked up about it, right? it's a shame that we give them the same amount of publicity in return.

13. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    They're still reeling from Emma not getting the lead female role in 50 Shades of Grey. It's natural that they want to lash out.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ... I'd go see it then.

>.>
    <.<
    >.>

15. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I think there's a difference between being a misogynist and being a total bell-end. 4chan are the latter.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

[​IMG]

17. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, they could be both. But it's one thing to stop misogyny. It's a whole different ball game to stop a select group of people being general ********s.

It's the 'educated' sexists that need work. That can be changed. Morons can't.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  20. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Well, that's why I wrote "Most of [them]", didn't I. Not all of them. Most of them. Innit.

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Here's her speech BTW (it's from CNN's YouTube account):

22. sharkymcshark

Dec 12, 2013

It was sarcasm.

I've found "According to evolutionary biology" gets deployed in the same was as "Im not racist but" these days.

23. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Not to say 4chan isn't a den of trolls (they ar), but no one actually threatened to release nude photos of Emma Watson. It's not as though their trolling is somehow defended by the actual information, but it certainly is the sort of headline that everyone clicks on.
    (The business insider link from that article is actually informative)

24. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I think Watson's speech was pretty boss, but it's incredibly distressing that we need to have someone address the United Nations to make it clear that sexism and misogyny are getting really bad.

Gamer Gate, meanwhile, has really shown me the horrific reality of people who believe that it's justified. Former TV gaming personality Adam Sessler posted a number of things on Twitter supporting Zoe Quinn (they're colleagues) and people responded with "I can't believe it...I used to trust Adam, he was one of the honest journalists...and now this?"

Like they were genuinely hurt and shocked that someone would stand up and say, "Look, this isn't right what is happening to this individual, it's criminal, and they are my friend." They felt betrayed that someone would be a genuinely decent person and not a sexist piece of ****.

25. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    They argue that they aren't sexists and misogynists. They're just using the tools of sexism and misogyny to fight God's Own Battle against corruption in gaming journalism.