main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your reaction to Episode III!

Discussion in 'Archive: Fresno, CA' started by AnakinsLuv, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnakinsLuv

AnakinsLuv Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2004
    Guess I'm the first one in here (up early too!) to give you my take on the movie so I'll start the thread!! [face_dancing]

[face_plain]

:_|

Since I'm still a mess this morning I will just post what I posted in the Defenders thread last night when I got home:

(Probably the most feminine reaction of our little male-dominating group, but here goes ;) )

I am a total mess. I've never shaken and wept and wailed out loud in a movie before, but I can tell you that for this one I just totally lost it.

I'm so solemn it's hard for me to even post right now...I am utterly drained , but I will get through what I can.

Hayden IS Anakin. He is stunning and beautiful and brilliant and he captivates you from the first moment on screen. His happiness, anguish and despair will leave you breathless, quite literally. He also brings forth what is buried so deep in Vader...it's completely haunting. He IS Vader!

And Padme....oh! I can't even go into it right now! I'm gunna need some time....

*happy thoughts*

One question I have for everyone....did anyone else think that Yoda was the sweetest, most loveable little green guy you had ever seen? (oh, there. I'm smiling!) I just wanted to give him a great big hug the whole time [:D] ! The digital work on him....well, he's real! There's no doubt in my mind!

There was a part in the middle where I totally lost it, but the ending had me shaking and sobbing...like it was all happening to my own family! At the very, very end, all I kept thinking was, "This is why I love the OT so much. This is why I have always loved it while growing up because I knew there was this kind of story behind it." THE most bitter-sweet moment I think I have ever been through.

Okay. That is all I can muster now. I need to go cry myself to sleep, plus I feel a little nauseous from all the crying!

May the Force be with you.

-AnakinsLuv

2. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    So, I'm second? Some have seen this thing almost a week ago, and haven't posted this? [face_thinking]

Well, I warn you---My review is a bit lengthy! :cool:

Going in to this movie, I was pumped, perhaps too much. This was to be the movie that us darkside fans were to enjoy the most, as it was to be "super dark" in tone. To go even further, my favorite character in the SW saga since ROTJ, Emperor Palpatine, was to have the largest role he has seen yet in any of the 4 other movies he had been in. He did, and he was excellent.

For anyone who never gave this character his just due, now is the time for your foolish mind to acknowledge him. He is, and always has been (IMO), the true villain of SW---Not everyone's beloved Darth Vader. Vader is a soft, spoiled little baby. Palpatine is evil incarnate, and has been manipulating everyone in the Prequels, and is the iron fist of the OT. He had an outstanding performance. I was fearful, however, of his action sequences for ROTS, because I always appreciated that he was the villain without getting his hands dirty. Well, the scenes weren't that bad, and I can now live with them. His lines he spoke were again the show-stealer, as he manipulated and influenced from just speaking. The Empire declaration was one I've waited to see myself for 20+ years, and it delivered. I felt proud to be the opposite of so many in my theatre, clapping when Palps did something, or said something, while others were trying to keep their clapping up for the Jedi. Not much to cheer about, eh, Lightsiders?

Next, on to Anakin. Hayden, I believe, gave the fans what they wanted from him in this movie. His lines seemed better delivered (and written), and he conveyed the fall very well. There wasn't the woodenness or crybabyishness that many fans complained of from Episode II. He is dark as he can be, slaying Younglings at the Temple, and then the Separatists on Mustafar. Speaking of the Younglings thing, I felt cheated more wasn't shown of it. It was too implied. Now, before you call me sadistic, hear me out. We got to see the Tusken slaughter in Ep II "implied", so were cheated of a true dark moment there. We should've got it here. Ultimately, though, Lucas got across his message about Anakin---While he ultimately makes his own choices as he falls, he is a tragic character, but to me, he comes across as foolish. Thanks to Episode III, I now know that I'm justified in having said, all these years, that Vader isn't a true villain. He is merely a foolish puppet, and is a man-servant of Palpatine. I have a real complaint about the Vader unveiling in the suit, but I'll save that for later.

Obi-Wan, as much as I am loathe to acknowledge the Jedi as "great" at all, shows in Episode III that he is the greatest of the Jedi. Alec Guiness was great as Obi-Wan in the OT, and Ewan turns in another A+ performance as Obi-Wan in Episode III. Aside from Ian McDiarmid (The man!), I think Ewan may be the finest of all the actors in the Prequels. Obi-Wan is called upon again & again in the Prequels to save the day, and he does nearly everything he can in ROTS to prevent the final fall of the Jedi. The "Duel" was outstanding, and everything we've waited for for 20-something years. The ending of it shocked me, I didn't expect the victor to be decided by that kind of moment. At the very end, once it was decided, Lucas again struck at the fans, and grabbed at the heart-strings (Or tried to, in my case ), having Anakin suffer on the lava bank. His legs and left arm gone now, he slowly slipped into the lava to burn. Obi-Wan, in near tears, cried out to Anakin. I thought it was done excellently.

The action of this movie was great. I thought the movie grabbed at you immediately, with the space battles, and then transitioning into the beginning of Anakin's turn. The action was at center stage of this movie, and I really didn't think there were too many "boring" parts. The Grievous moments, as I expected, were a big damn hype machine. I called him "the next Darth Maul" prior to the movie, and I shouted it o

3. Bladion

Bladion Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2005
    Wowza. That was a long review.

A bunch of my friends who saw it thought it sucked, but then I don't give their opinions much credence when it comes to Star Wars.

Anyways, as for my (and my wife's) thought, we both enjoyed the movie wholeheartedly and we're going to take my mom and our daughter (and possibly some more friends) on Sunday.

However, I agree that the ending felt rushed, and I'm wondering why the rumored Dagobah scene was deleted.

As for the birth scene, it's not entirely surprising that she knew exactly what she was going to call them. A lot of people know what they are going to call their children well in advance, and most people come up with a name for a boy and a girl until they know (if they decide to find out) what they're having. So for all intents and purposes, I believe that Padme had been thinking about names (though it was never shown because it's not important to the plot) and had decided on Luke if it was a boy, and Leia if it was a girl. Then when it turned out she had twins, she used both names. Though she probably would have been screwed if the babies were identical instead of paternal, but of course we all knew that was not going to be the case.

The problem my wife had with the birth scene was two-fold. First, the medical droid says that they are going to have to operate in order to save the babies and yet a few moments later it appears she is giving birth normally. And then, the screaming. My wife says she hates it when actresses scream like that during childbirth. She says it's fake. I tried to defend it by saying that neither Natalie Portman or George Lucas has any reference since Portman has never given birth and Lucas' kids are adopted. But my wife said that considering how many people worked on the movie, SOMEONE would have to have been in a delivery room at some time or another. But oh well, nothing you can do to change that.

My main problem was the introduction of Darth Vader. Not in the suit, just Vader. It just seemed rushed. At one point, Anakin wants to kill Palpatine because he's a Sith Lord and less than five minutes later (I think - wasn't keeping track of time) he's accepting Palpatine as his master. My wife said that after the Mace Windu incident, Anakin is put into a "you have no choice" type of situation, but it just did not feel that urgent to me. Maybe my feeling will change on subsequent viewings. Who knows. Well, I didn't want to post such a long reaction, but I guess everyone probably will, too, so who cares!

Oh, and by the way, I had read somewhere (I think here on theforce.net) that Amy Allen said she (Aayla Secura) didn't die and would be in the television series. Sure didn't look like anything that could have been survived when her clone troopers turned on her. What does everyone else think? Was Amy Allen lying to us all? Or was it all just some kind of elaborate marketing hoax?

4. Obi1kenny

Obi1kenny Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2002
    I loved it, it didn't suck!

I actually wrote a review for the local paper and this was before the mid-night showing so it is short and sweet and spoiler free.

http://www.mercedsun-star.com/local/story/10512565p-11306755c.html

5. AnakinsLuv

Apr 2, 2004
    Okay....the birth scene. I guess I just gotta set all you males straight. o_O

I've given birth naturally before without any medication and I am telling you that I was screaming like I've never screamed before!!!! In fact, I was making noises I had no idea my body could even make!

So yeah, Padme screaming WAS realistic. And even if she was having a C-section and was numb from the waist down, you can still feel the pressure of the babies being pulled out and this can sort of freak you out. Plus, if my husband had just gone to the darkside and I could feel my body dying as I was having twins, I would be screaming, crying, and howling too!

C'mon! Give her a break! Natalie's performance was beautiful!

-AnakinsLuv

6. Darth_Necronus

Darth_Necronus Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Well, I am new to this board so I will try not to make many mistakes.

I thought the movie was GREAT. Yeah, it had it's slow and low points, but what movie doesn't. Everything I was expecting was met and supassred.

The Digital Effects were great. I just hope that Lucas can get some other people to use the same technology he is once again pioneering.

The Story was awsome. There is nothing more that I can say but that. Awsome. Oh and AnakinsLuv, I was crying right there with you. I may be a man, but I am still emotional when it comes to love and brotherhood. The entire down fall of the Jedi and Anakin was causing me to sob like I was watching Schindler's List. And the fight between Skywalker and Kenobi was painful. TOTALY AWSOME, but painful to see. I guess I also shed a tear because this will be the last time I get to see a NEW Star Wars movie in a theater.

Well that is it for me. I could say more, but I don't want to make people read a buch of opinions from a filmakers point of view. Plus a few people posted a couple of LONG post and I don't feel like competing with that.

Message me if you have questions or want to chat about something. Cool, one post down. Many More to go. See Ya

7. Bladion

Bladion Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2005
    I've given birth naturally before without any medication and I am telling you that I was screaming like I've never screamed before!!!! In fact, I was making noises I had no idea my body could even make!

That is probably why your's and my wife's opinions differ. She had an epidural. Though that wasn't until about 12 or so hours before the day was born. We were in the hospital for a good 30 hours before the baby was born. But I don't really remember my wife screaming like that either, but everyone has their own opinion to the realistic nature of birth scenes, right? At least that was her only complaint!

8. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    I thought the movie was awesome! Waaay better than AOTC!! There's so much more I want to say but I'll save it for later. Awesome movie!!

9. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    There's so much more I want to say but I'll save it for later. Awesome movie!!

Boo!! ;)

Man, people....I look like a freak, having wrote up that huge write-up. And I even cut short on the Palpatine praise. I feel I've done that enough in the past. :cool:

10. donsolo

donsolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 3, 2004
    this movie was by far better than TPM and AOTC combined! I've seen it more than twice already, with plans to go back at least once more this weekened. :D

11. Sparticus

Sparticus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    ... SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Ohmygoshsoooogooooood!!! Not to the level of the OT but DUUUUUUDE!!!

Yoda is Love. ^-^ And Artoo KNOWS ALLL!!!! Palpatine is a total bastard. >.<

Oh, and Towne Center Upgraded. They're now digital. I saw ROTS on a digital screen! MWA ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

12. donsolo

Jul 3, 2004
    wait, Towne Center is digital? that's clovis right? whart are their ticket prices?

OK, my minireveiw - It was great, I won't go into explaining hte greatness becaus you all know it's great. I'll just say I'm glad R2 finaly got his dues.

Now, here's what I didn't like: The battle droid personalities... it felt like they were saying "see, we don't need Jar Jar to be irritating!" too goofy and dimwitted. I didn't like how the Neimodians sounded like lame-ass surfers. Keep the consistant oriental accent. It would have been fine. Grevious, though I thought he was pretty cool and well done, lost to easily. Sure he had his chest crushed by Mace, but the dude took on 5 Jedi on the clone wars and then went on to receive more training. Plus the flames shooting out his eyes was way cheesy. Ani's turn to the darkside was too sudden. There needed to be at least an extra minute of Palpatine coercing him before he gave in. The end was way to rushed, like you all said. each tidbit needed to be at least doubled in legnth, Palpatine needed to say something like "Lord Vader, we must reunite the galaxy and crush any that oppose us" ... you know, so he doesn't go from a good-seeking Jedi to a bastards staring at a weapon to blow up entire planets. The Frankenstein bit was bad, but his outcry in the suit was very important I feel.

I have to go no... I may elaborate more later...

13. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    The battle droid personalities... it felt like they were saying "see, we don't need Jar Jar to be irritating!" too goofy and dimwitted.

Good call. Thanks, because I forgot to mention that in my "negatives" section. Yes, it's a nitpick, but it is annoying, nonetheless. It can't bring the movie down, but it was terrible to see it overdone.

14. donsolo

Jul 3, 2004
    exactly... there are quite a few tiny little gripes, but all in all the movie is great... even after 3+ viewings ;)

15. Sparticus

May 1, 2002
    Towne Center Ticket prices? Er... I think a buck less than Edwards but I don't quite remember. And, yeah, they're in Clovis. Behind Ross in the... I don't remember what it's called shopping center.

This is not a good day for my memory, apparently. X)

16. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Towne center is digital!!!??? why wasnt i aware of this? blast! now i have to see it there!!!

17. AnakinsLuv

Apr 2, 2004
    Darth_Necronus -- Aww! I'm so glad that you were crying with me!! :) Really touches my heart to hear that so many men (there are lots of guys who post on the Defender's thread who got the same way) got just as emotional as us females. I mean, girls can cry at just about anything ;) , but to know that this movie was so powerful that it caused such emotion to overflow in the male species, well, that is just WOW!!! I'm also touched that you men are man enough to admit that you got a little weepy...I applaud you!! =D=

Bladion -- Yes, I'm sure that it depends upon one's point of view when it comes to birth scenes ;) And if that was your wife's only complaint then that's good enough for me ;)

Okay guys...here, finally, is my VERY lengthy review of ROTS! :D I know that I already posted my initial reaction, but this is my well-thought out review of everything after seeing the movie 3 times (so far ;) )

(BTW, my second screening was at Clovis Towne Center and I saw no difference at all!! In fact, it didn't even look as good as Edwards! Whomever gave you this information is full-of-it, me thinks ;) Plus, it would totally be listed as one of the digital screens in the headlines on the tfn news and it wasn't. Secondly, that place is ghetto! I'm surprised that they have managed to stay in business. If there were such a theater to go digital in Fresno, it would be a major one. I could be totally out of it, but I highly doubt it is digital!)

Alright, on with the goods....

My review of ROTS! (First posted on the Defenders thread...so when I say "we" I mean them ;) and we are all into the Love Story as well as Hayden so beware! [face_mischief] )

I?m going to start with my only disappointments so that I can end on a good note ;)

First of all, I expected a lot more kissage between Anakin and Padme. We all saw, and even had as our icons, the pic of them kissing that came out in the Insider . You know, the one where they are standing near her apartment window and she is in the black dress and he has his hand on her jaw . Anyway, HELLO!! The scene was there but no kiss!! Secondly, the number one scene I had been so excited about and been waiting for was cut as well!! For those of you who were not spoiled it went a little something like this:

Padme says to Anakin, ?Do you want to feel him kick??

Anakin placing his hand on her tummy says, ?What makes you so sure it?s going to be a boy??

?Motherly intuition?, Padme teases.

Then Anakin says, ?Well, with a kick like that, it?s got to be a girl!?

I was so looking forward to Anakin with his hand on her tummy, his future offspring, and talking about them with her!! And, for the love of the Force, we could have used another quiet, happy scene in that movie! :_|

And I just love how they are both right!

I?m almost pretty sure that this scene was filmed though, because one, it was in the script, and two, you can see the very end of it at the beginning of the scene on Padme?s veranda at sunset where she has the purple and red dress on. It will most likely be a deleted scene. And I sure hope that the other kiss that was taken out is actually part of a longer scene that we will see on the DVD as well.

Another thing that I was looking forward to seeing was the young Mon Mothma, but I guess since they took out all the forming-of-the-Rebellion scenes, that she would be out too. I just didn?t put two and two together. Oh, well. I hope we get to see these scenes on the DVD too.

So it seems for the sake of pacing and time they had to cut some really good stuff out just like in AOTC. I don?t really blame them a whole lot, though, since this movie was so jam-packed with stuff!

Okay, now on the good stuff?

The opening space battle was plain awesome and I know it will be even better on a digital screen since I was able to see a portion of it on a digital screen at C3. Can?t wait for that! I loved to watch Obi-Wan and Anakin?s starfighters spin, tilt and turn exactly the same!! Just shows how much they are in tune with each other now. R2

18. Obi1kenny

Obi1kenny Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2002
    Holy crap, someone likes to type. ;)

19. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    Right on, AnakinsLuv!

At least now, I'm not the only one who wrote a novel. I like it better, though, instead of the all-too-common "I liked it", "Awesome", or "It was a great movie".

:cool:

20. Sparticus

May 1, 2002
    I was there, when they fired up the projector - it's digital I tell ya!!! I figured it was the ONLY reason Town Center has ROTS.

I saw TPM and AOTC at Edwards, their image quality wasn't that great, IMHO. When I saw Van Helsing last summer parts of it were almost nausiating (not the movie, except for the "So this is what happends when mate" line - GAH!!). It's possible that they upgraded since then... or found someone who knows how to focus. FOCUUUUSSS!!! *flails*

<.< >.> Yes... I am a Fan Helsing...

21. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    No where in fresno or clovis is digital, sorry. i posted the link in the other thread, frisco is the closest, or LA, but i reccomend seeing it in the ex-imax theater at edwards, huge screen! it was the first time i saw a movie in there and the screen is bigger, sound still sucked though. I dont know why they don't crank up the volume! Come on now they keep jacking up the prices but dont give us better sound or anything...

22. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    [face_thinking]

Wow...was this thread's real title "Where are Digital Theatres"?? ;)

There weren't that many reaction/review posts.

23. Sparticus

May 1, 2002
    Yeah, my bad, I looked it up. ^-^;; Sorry guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.