main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Your reaction to Palpatine's force lightning

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by dolphin, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
  2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Like everyone else who witnessed him utilising it for the first time, I assumed it was a power that was unique to him. He was so powerful he could shoot lightning from his finger tips! The Emperor truly was a terrifying character. I mean, even Vader bowed before him.

dolphin and Sarge like this.
  3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Same here. I was more worried about if Luke would make it out of there...

dolphin likes this.
  4. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    My jaw dropped, I never saw it coming. I was 8 years old, and saw it in the theaters. That type of power never crossed my mind, so to see it unleashed on Luke was just :eek:. However, after the movie, I remember running around pretending I was the Emperor and shocking the **** out of everyone!

dolphin likes this.
  5. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    I was very little but I remember being terrified of the old creep he just embodied fear and evil for me and it made him so powerful showing the full potential of the darkside in my mind (this was before the prequels of course).

6. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    HOLY **** JUST GOT REAL SON!!!!

astinus4 likes this.
  7. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: [face_worried][face_worried][face_worried][face_worried][face_worried][face_worried]

Something like that

dolphin likes this.
  8. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

That was essentially my reaction. He is a more feared villain to me than Vader honestly.

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Scary to watch as a kid. As an adult it's a tad bit goofy in way that's still fun to watch, just like the wicked witch persona of the Emperor as a whole.

dolphin likes this.
  10. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    For me, it showed how truly powerful and evil the Emperor was. When I saw Dooku use it in AOTC, it sort of brought down the impact of the Emperor using it in ROTJ. Had we not seen Force lightning at all up until ROTJ, or had it been something we only saw the Emperor use in ROTS, then I think it would've maintained some of that effect on me.

11. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Can't precisely remember what was my reaction when I first saw ROTJ back in 1983 honestly.

But it has sure always been awesome and impressive moment to me, as the Emperor spends all of his scenes before just speaking, except for briefly using the Force to free Luke's hands.

It just comes out of nowhere and it's pretty chilling onscreen. Especially with that close-up showing him raisng his hands slowly before striking ("If you will not become one of us, then you must be..destroyed"). Along with the noise.

Actually the Emperor is definitely the most mysterious and fearsome character of the OT and ROTJ. So I guess those sudden blue lightnings are really moving when you see this for the first time. Particularly as a child or an early teen.

12. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999

That's right! I had forgotten that he used the force to free Luke's hands. I should have known then of his capability. He was scary to me before the lightning based solely on his words.

Oh...I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when
    your friends arrive. (the way he says this sardonically always gets me)

...are walking into a trap. As is your Rebel fleet! It was I who
    allowed the Alliance to know the location of the shield generator. It
    is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my
    best troops awaits them.

Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design.

I was like, "This guy can tell the future and knows what's happening without being there. He's thought of everything." I recall having a deep foreboding. The lightning was the creme of the crop.

13. Phoenix267

Phoenix267 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2014
    My reaction is very different from others who've seen it first. I knew from people role playing and referencing the films that Palpatine and others used Force Lighting. I recall seeing it in the third film for the first time. It... Was... AMAZING! I'm serious. When Palpatine used his force lighting against Yoda in a duel was nicely done. But in Return of the Jedi, it was done to perfection. Because of the seriousness of the fight and Luke's pain at being struck.

Ord-Mantell70 likes this.
  14. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    At first when i saw rotj, iwas like what can palpantinr do his just a weak old man then when he blasted that force lightening I was likr woah damn thats some powerful abilities he has. Its goes to show not to underestimate palpantine because he has a walking stick and is old. :D

15. sir PING1

sir PING1 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2014
    I saw them when I was young, about 5 or 6 so it don't exactly remember much from my first few watchthroughs of the OT, but I can only assume I have the same reaction I have to this day in my 20's, just not as extreme anymore. In more of the "brutal" parts like the force lightning or Luke getting his hand cut off I still grimace. It's a kind of reaction thats been ingrained into me after so many times watching the movies. Except maybe now along with the "ingrained reactions", there's that bit of sheer pleasure of seeing some of my favorite parts from my favorite series. Sure it's gotta hurt like hell to have lightning pumped through your body, but watching such a masterpiece is so so very satisfying, a kind of mixed emotions and nothing can take away that satisfaction.

16. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Well, if you recall, Obi-Wan and Yoda are able to deflect Dooku's lightning easily. But Mace barely manages to hold back Palpatine's lightning with his lightsaber, and once it's gone, he's completely defenseless. Yoda was overwhelmed when Palpatine launched the first lightning salvo in his office, and later Palpatine is able to blast Yoda's saber right out of his hand, and Yoda is unable to deflect Palpatine's lightning with his bare hands for very long, resulting in the explosion that throws them both backwards.

Palpatine's lightning gave Mace and Yoda a very hard time, making his power vastly superior to Dooku's.

Shadao and dolphin like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Why no mention of it then in ESB or ROTJ before then?
    Obi-Wan and Yoda see it in the PT but leave Luke to the wolves in ROTJ.
    The PT duels should have done others powers imo.

whostheBossk likes this.
  18. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    Either Yoda forgot to teach Luke that trick (absorbing lightning) or he didn't think Luke would have to face the Emperor, just Vader.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Or it's a power, which takes many years (if not decades) to master.

20. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    I was 12 and like others I don't remember being that shocked or wowed by the force lightning. I think I was all about the lightsabres and this just seemed less impressive but I think I understood it was potentially more lethal.

The scene itself was excellent though, Luke's pleas, Vader's internal struggle first shuffling to his master and then looking to his son and then back, then the lift, and the skull shot, and nearly being pulled into the chasm himself. Then the wheezes, oh Man! I remember that all resonating at once.

dolphin likes this.
  21. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

On the other hand, Yoda does warn Luke not to underestimate the Emperor's powers or he'll suffer Vader's fate. So, he must've assumed Luke would face the Emperor as well.

22. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

When there was just the OT, I was of the view that Obiwan and Yoda had no idea what Palpatine was actually capable of, rather than leaving Luke to the wolves. This made the magnitude of his power all the more terrifying. It's a different state of affairs now of course.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Exactly!

24. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013

Luke was an incredibly fast learner with plenty of raw talent, but I think learning that technique would take a while. Even Yoda wasn't able to defeat Palpatine with the absorption technique.

25. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Force Ghost Obi-Wan: "Should we tell Luke about Force Lightning?"
    Master Yoda: "More fun watching him fry, it is."