main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Niagara, ON Your Reactions to Revenge of the Sith ~Spoilers~

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Cow_Girl, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I was surprised to not find a topic on this already, so I suppose its safe to assume that everyone is still recovering from such a late night? ;)

I would love to hear what everyone thought, good and bad, what your favorite parts of the film were and so on.

I will start things off, I was rather irked that Qui-Gon was mentioned, but it never went further than that, which made that bit of dialogue rather useless other than giving a slight nod to the fact that Obi-Wan, Anakin and Yoda were the only ones that managed to learn the trick to becoming "Force Ghosts" after there passing into the Force. I was disapointed that it still goes unexplained.

2. legoman

legoman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 14, 2002
    I didn't much like the fact that Leia was not a secret from everyone and that we did not get to see Yoda go to Dagobah. We also didn't see any scenes with the loyalist senators and future rebel leaders.

Other than those small things, I thought it was excellent. The deaths of Dooku and Mace were awsome. Wookies and Grevious were great, even if they weren't shown much. Yoda vs. Palpatine and Obi vs. Vader were amazing. Anakin on fire = gruesome but cool. When the mask was first placed on Vader and he breathed for the first time, i got shivers. The closing scene could not have been more perfect; Owen, Beru and Luke watching the twin sun's set brought us back to that touching moment in A New Hope. This movie connected the two trilogies perfectly.

All in all, it was a fantastic film.

3. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Yoda going to Dagobah was a cut scene. He used one of the escape pods from the Tantive IV. The scene with the senators who opposed what Palpatine was doing was also cut. You'll note despite having a figure, and being seen in behind the scenes videos at StarWars.com and promotional pictures of her costumes there was no Mon Mothma. Padme's "peacock" dress which was featured in a video on costumes, and in the Vanity Fair photo shoot was worn in that scene as well.

Hopefully the DVD will have those scenes (and a few more) in their proper place.

4. DMZBADGER

DMZBADGER Jedi Youngling star 2

May 31, 2002
    Ok. Here goes this is MY opinion. and I am sure others will think the same when they really look into what I am about to post.

I went to the first showing of ROTS with my popcorn and my pop by myself..lots of leg room in the front and no one on either side of me...Perfect..was spoiler free the entire lead in time of the film.

After the credits rolled at the end, I was thinking...why was I not jumping up and down excited about what I had just finished watching? When I left the theatre after the first original three movies I was re-thinking..wow that guy was cool, and those ships looked awesome, and it was cool when that guy did this and that. Why is it that the first three episodes are flat compared to the forth-sixth episode. My answer CGI.

Below are some of my opinions on this new film.

CGI was again waaaaaaaaaaay over done. You never get a real feel of depth, size, weight of the objects. Ships or Characters. I believe that Lucas should have easied back on the CGI to try and tie in ANH better. Either that or go back and totally re-do all of 4-6 again.

Greivous is a very weak character, why they used him is beyond me. The rotating arm lightsaber thing in my opinion is going to be exploited in some kind of battery operated toy..I guarantee it. Same thing goes with all the different clone troopers and colours...yes, another marketing merchandising ploy to milk more cash out of fans..."Hey you have the red boots Clone Pilot, ahh I need that one and the green coloured commander figure." and so on. They should have tried to tie in more to the EP4 characters instead of make up all new ones.

Dooku bought the farm...Waaay to quick. For a guy that takes on Obi, Anakin and Yoda 3 years before...now gets slapped around in just mere minutes.

What is with the scores of new droids as well..like those bug droids on the ships. Also they must really have built ships better back then because you can crash into a ship and shoot it to pieces to get these bug droids off your window..but fast forward a few years and poor Porkins has a small problem and his ship explodes......really weak in my books.

Since when did Astromechs just pop out of ships..I remember they had to be sucked/hoisted out of the ships. and when did R2 become such a Swiss Army Knife...is there anything in that droid he doesn't have?

The love story or lack of it was weak as well in my opinion. Just think..here is a guy that has had some really crappy things happen to him in the past and he finds out he soon will be a father. In AOTC Padme finds out that Anakin kills not just one other lifeform but slaughters a whole Tusken village Men, Women and Children. He then in ROTS kills off some Jedi's...and Padme is still ok with it..then they show him whipe out the younglings in the temple.(which I thought was weak..if they wanted to take the kids out they should have used generic shock troops blasting into the room) He comes back and Padme still sticks with him...he finally force chokes her in the end. For a guy that wanted to protect her and his newborn..he had a funny way of showing it....and don't give me..ohh cause the evil turned him that way.

Padme' didn't know it was twins...so she should have named Luke and then passed away and the Organa's should have named Leia. (Side note as well....on Dagoba in ESB Ben turns to Yoda and says."That boy was our last hope" Yoda responds with "No, there is another." Ben should know there would be another because in the hosiptal he is holding 2 off-spring of the greatest Jedi that ever lived.

What the heck was up with the whole Frankinstein monster thing going on with vader..breaking his bonds and lunging forward..Looked very Cheesy...MMmmmmmm Master like...MMMmmmmmMMMMmm

The lava surfing metal CGI boogie boards Obi and Ani were on were so fake looking. And why is it that you can be hovering over lava and not break a sweat or even burn your lungs with the heat?

And something was lost on the editing room floor...why is it that Obi Wan is going back to Tatoonie? other tha

5. JediCourier

JediCourier Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    What Bayley loved about ROTS...and Quinlan Vos doesn't even make her list? :_|

Where is the love?!?

6. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    Hey hey there Josh, I did love that nod to him. I would have liked it even more if he was actually physically represented. It was also a reminder that I have fallen behind in my comics-that-include-vos reading :p

7. Jedi_Padawan_Padme

Jedi_Padawan_Padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 20, 2001
    Ok, so everyone knows how I am, and knows I'm not the biggest fan in the group (actually, probably one of the least biggest fans. lol). But as sad as it is, I actually noticed what I thought was the falcon too. I turned to rick and was like "wasn't that the millenium falcon?" he's like "I dunno".
    So yeah, that was funny.
    And yes I really liked it. And obviously, not being a huge psycho on all the background info and all that, I can look at the movie as just as movie, and say "it was good". I agree there were some loose-ends but most stuff was covered.

And I would have loved to stay a bit and chat, but as most people knew I had to work this morning. yay for getting 4 hours sleep and being on your feet running around for 8 hours. lol.

And that is all from me.

8. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Just a quick note about the Digital (DLP) screening.

I went to the AMC 24 in Oakville to see it tonight. There are *no* changes or extended scenes. As far as I could see it was the same as the version we saw.

Well OK, not the same. The image was much sharper. The CGI effects blended a lot more seamlessly into the rest of the image, and things seem to have a smoother flow. There were no cue dots, no scratches. Just pure clean image.

The sound seemed a lot cleaner as well, but that could simply be the difference between DTS (which I believe is the sound system at the Pen cinemas) and SDDS (AMC).

9. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    Before I paste here what I wrote in my journal, I just want to mention that obi-wan says he's going to go to tatooine to watch after luke. I think it's safe to assume that that task falls on senator organa for leia. I didn't have a problem with that part. But now that it's been pointed out to me, I think it's also dumb that obi-wan knows about leia at all.

Reflections of starwars:

What I hated:
    - The beginning
    - The end.

People keep laughing because all I liked was the middle, but really, the beginning was boring. It really led nothing to story development or character development, and could have been nicely summed up in the words at the beginning and maybe in a quick flashback or nightmare (the murder of dooku). It was dumb. General Grievance was dumb too. AND WHAT A STUPID NAME.

As for the ending, through the whole movie I kept thinking anakin was misinterpreting his dream, because we all know that leia remembers her mother being sad. Leia Organa was not a stupid person. She would have been able to figure out the mother that raised her was not the mother Luke meant (especially since he says "Your real mother")... SO WHY IF HER MOHTER DIES IN CHILDBIRTH DOES SHE REMEMBER HER BEING SAD?! Teri and I agreed that it would have made more sense for padme to live and start the revolution on Alderaan against the empire. I guess that falls on senator organa though. WHO TOTALLY CAME OUT OF NOWHERE.

Aside from that, it was really good. I couldn't believe anakin killed all those jedi children. Teri cried. I couldn't believe he almost killed padme. But it wasn't like THIS IS TOTALLY STUPID AND WOULD NEVER HAPPEN disbelief. It was HOLY CRAP disbelief. So, aside from the boring beginning which I can get over, and padme dying which I can never forgive (CONTINUITY, DAMNIT), I liked it.

And another thing... padme died from sadness. From SADNESS. Here is this woman who has been portrayed as strong and capable through all the movies, and then, at the end... she dies of sadness. DESPITE THE FACT SHE HAS JUST GIVEN BIRTH TO 2 HEALTY BABIES SHE STILL DOESN'T WANT TO GO ON LIVING ANYMORE BECAUSE HER HUSBAND IS AN ASS. That just pissed me off. That and the fact that they said they were going to have to operate to save the babies, and then it was a vaginal birth. I told you the end pissed me off.

oh, by the way, in that one scene where obi-wan is getting ready to fight anakin and he basically goes into the neo matrix pose, and his hair is all tousled and he's holding his light sabre up and he's all ready to fight.... That man is H-A-W-T HOT.

and oh oh, very lastly, the "NOOOOOO!" that darth vadar did had teri and I laughing, as both of us were picturing anakin doing the classic luke skywalker "Nooooooo!" face inside the helmet.

10. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    oh, by the way, in that one scene where obi-wan is getting ready to fight anakin and he basically goes into the neo matrix pose, and his hair is all tousled and he's holding his light sabre up and he's all ready to fight.... That man is H-A-W-T HOT.

I agree with Jeigh on this issue O:)

11. jadepadawan

jadepadawan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 12, 2002
    Well, I loved it.

Except everyone I went with wanted to know why Leia had some connection with Padme. Tim's theory: because she is a girl, she is more emotionally connected. My theory: They are not twins in the traditional sense of being conceived at the same time. Leia was conceived first, and then 3 months later, Luke (seeing as in the book they were separated for 5 months. So, if she was 9 months pregnant, they would have presumably been still 'close' at the 3 month point before he left if they didn't know). But that was quickly shot down as people pointed out that women stop ovulating once they are pregnant.

That was my only major anger.....back me up, Laurie and Deb and Dana and any other mothers....if she WAS 9 months pregnant with twins she sure didn't look it! And she could move pretty darn fast too!

Death of the masters: so sad. I almost cried. Same with Anakin screaming "I hate you!" before he incinerates.

This movie was also great because you really saw how the prequels tied together to show all of Palpatine's calculated moves

So..........when does Obi-Wan find out that Anakin is still alive?

12. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    While watching the news...

"In other news Darth Vader, who was made better than before is faster, stronger...they did rebuild him!"

;)

13. jadepadawan

jadepadawan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 12, 2002
    Palpatine tells how to take over the Galaxy in 10 Easy Steps

1. Learn the dark side and kill your master. Decide to never create masters out of your apprentices by never giving away too much, training them only one at a time, and killing them every so often.

2. Use the force to manipulate life into creating a Chosen One. Make sure he doesn't come to the Jedi Temple until older so he's a little prone to trouble. Use the Chosen One prophecy to get him training.

3. Start trouble on two sides by creating another identity for yourself to control the opposition and
    pick the time when a young queen is just elected and be a senator so you can easily sway her in public

4. Take over the planet you are senator of so that you look sympathetic on the other side you're on and will get the most votes to kick out the incompetent current guy in charge so you can be in charge

5. Create an army of clones to be used when ready by removing their ability to have free will so they won't question flipping sides at the flip of a button

6. Start a war with your clones and make sure you get emergency powers so no one can boot you out. How to get it: scare the strongest opposer out of the capital leaving incompetent replacement gun gun to put out the motion

7. Stop the war by taking out the other side with your other identity and reform the republic in your image by saying "so that other side never rises up again" and using sympathetic story of getting scarred for life (note: get attacked by Jedi for this)

8. Kill anyone that has power to stop you aka Jedi

9. Mentor the Chosen One by listening to him and overcomplimenting an already fragile ego that loves compliments he doesn't receive from his master so he feels loyalty to you. Get dirt on the Chosen One and use it and his feeling of mistrust of his friends to trap him into doing what you want. Save his life and use his abilities and weakness to try to correct his mistakes to be your perfect lackey for the next 20 years

10. Make sure Chosen One never has any offspring so you can't be overthrown and he can't be loved back to the good side.......oops.....well, 9 out of 10 ain't bad

14. Dalponis

Dalponis Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2001
    I hated it.

I could get into how I've just had it with the dancing/fighting techniques they use(for show I might add) are bad.

Or how the "noooooo!" by Darth Vader at the end was hilarious, but I'd be wasting my breath.

Pretty pathetic movie.

15. DMZBADGER

DMZBADGER Jedi Youngling star 2

May 31, 2002
    well like I mentioned before it was an ok movie to watch but some things in my opinion should have been done different.

At the end when we see what will eventually be the star destroyer bridge (nice tie in) and we see what looks to be a younger Grand Moff Tarkin (nice as well) we see the first version of Imperial Officer gear.

Why didn't they instead of showing all the different clone colours and types through the movie..have Palapatine send Vader or another representive to Kamino? and have them over look the "newer" version of Stormtroopers(ie the ones in ANH)...almost a replay of what we saw in AOTC with the first line of clones. The Kaminos could say "Lord Vader your "X" amount of troops are ready but they are not to the higher standards and quality we have had in the past." (or something along those lines) and panned down to see all the Stormtroopers ready to go (would have tied ANH in better)
    And armour is not Evolution...you change things yes, but you don't have to show every little change.

Also to help out the whole why didn't Ben know about twins and why did Padme' know about them..ect... My idea would have had the Emperor hot on the tracks of the last Jedi's...had them in a medical bay on say the Blockade Runner and have them being chased....Padme' pops out #1 Luke and then dies...and Ben gets into a pod and gets ejected down to Tatoonie as they pass the planet...The medical droids manage to grab the second child from a now dead padme' and hand it over to Organna then shoot Yoda down towards Dagobah.
    Having Ben punch out early would have kept him out of the loop about the second kid..but Yoda would have know..thus tieing in the dialog they had on Dagogbah in ESB.

The one last comment I'll make was the duel between Anakin and Ben...what Mr.Lucas should have done was filmed it near a volcanic area with your typical black charcoal ground. (hawaii where ever..or hell even build the set) had the two fight it out with their sabers and have at the end Anakin get knocked off a ledge to a lower one closer to volcanic activity...Ben then turns and leaves him thinking he is dead. As Anakin lies there he breathes in harsh hot toxic fumes (thus his respirator later).

What I don't understand and maybe you can fill me in...How does Ben know Vader is Vader? as far as he knows he left a very cut up Anakin to die near the lava..Ben never seen Anakin in the suit?

I know I know....SHUT UP ALREADY!!!! but I like to really think about my films I enjoy, and get into them.

16. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Because he is Darth Vader before the suit. Yoda even tells Obi-Wan flat out, "your apprentice is gone consumed by Darth Vader he is." or something.

So when word of the black armoured Vader hits the universe he knows.

17. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    On the topic of Obi-Wan knowing that Vader is Vader, I have entertained a few possiblities.

Consider Anakin and Bens relationship, how closely they have worked together for many years. Some people believe that each Jedi has an indivual force "signature" so it was possible that Ben just knew it was Anakin underneath the Armor by sensing it.

Also, Obi-Wan was more than aware of how close his apprentice and Palpatine were getting. Anakin is left for dead a a few days later the emperor reveals himself with a shiny new left side man who uses a lightsaber at the force? Can't be a conscidence.

D'uh, This just struck me too. At the temple when Obi-Wan sees the holo of Anakin and the emperor, Does the Empeoror not say "Raise Vader" or is it "Raise, my Apprentice"

That would support my second theory :)

18. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I think he does see the holo where he is named Darth Vader by Palpatine.

I Liked the whole movie, with only a few drawbacks. One of which was the fact that Obi Wan knew about Leia, and that Padme died before Leia really had a chance to know her.

I do think the fight with Dooku was short, but I think there are two reasons why Anikan killed him. One was to prove that Anikan HAD grown quite a bit since their last meeting, and the other was to start him along the path to being Darth Sidious' apprentice.

There are a few reasons I believe this. One is that Palpatine wanted to be rid of Dooku. He had to die. Urging Anikan to kill him not only freed him to aquire a new apprentice, it was pushing Anikan further towards that position. Anikan knew he shouldn't do it, but gave into Palpatine's urging. It also showed just how much of a friend Anikan thought he had in Palpatine, to trust him that much. I also think that Dooku knew that Palpatine and Darth Sidious were one and the same. The look he gave Palpatine when Anikan was ordered to kill him gave it away.

My boyfriend loved Anikan's line "If you're not with me, you're my enemy" and Obi Wan's response, which I can't quote exactly, but went something along the lines that Anikan was thinking in black and white, and "only sith think that way." Peter then changed his MSN name to read 'W. (Meaning George W. Bush) is a Sith, George Lucas says so.'

19. JediKal

JediKal Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2005
    I thought it was excellent, if only for the awesome lightsabre duels.

I would have liked to see Yoda land on Dagobah, and a little more explanation about Qui Gon's new-found powers would have been nice, but I guess the movie can only be so long.

As for Leia and her memories of her mother, I think Leia never knew she was adopted until Luke dropped that bombshell on her on Endor. So when she shared her memories of her "real" mother, she was sharing all that she actually knew. Mind you, for this to hold up I'd have to look through the EU to see when the wife of Bail Organa died.

I also think Lucas had to kill off Padme at the end. As nice as it would have been to see her lead the formation of the Rebel Alliance, her existence could not be kept secret from Vader or the spies of the Empire. Thus it follows that Vader/Anakin would know he had fathered a daughter and the pursuit of her and Padme would have been relentless, never mind the fact Vader and Leia come face to face on Tantive IV at the beginning of A New Hope. Padme's death, while extremely cheesy, was necessary in this film.

It would have also been good to see Grievous ice a few Jedi to cement his character as a bad ass. But I guess we have the Clone Wars cartoon for that.

20. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    Far too much dependance on CGI to tell the story... nothing beats a guy in a costume... a stunt person on strings... or location with real props...

*** was with using everyones name in a sentence?... "blah blah blah, Anakin"... "blah blah blah, R2"... "blah blah blah, Insert name here"... people don't normally talk like that...

Inappropiate

21. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    grey_starr posted on 5/24/05 10:05am
    people don't normally talk like that...[hr][/blockquote]
    Its Star Wars! Ever since A New Hope you had people spewing entirely odd lines. Its part of what makes the movies distinct.

22. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    I agree with Kalvin about how it would have been nice if the reason that Qui-Gon was able to communicate with them was explained better, so I tracked down a copy of the script online and found the part where Yoda and Qui-Gon have a talk before Bail interupts

I think this little snippet proably best sums it up

The ability to defy oblivion can be achieved, but only for oneself. It was accomplished by a Shaman of the Whills. It is a state acquired through compassion, not greed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a book called Journal of the Whills? I have heard of it but never read it, anyone care to enlighten?

23. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    If you read the novelization of Star Wars ANH, the Journal of the Whills is mentioned in the preface, but I've never heard of it as an actual book.

grey_starr posted on 5/24/05 10:05am
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    people don't normally talk like that...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my job they do. Annoys me quite a bit, and I keep telling the quality people that I don't say a person's name after every other sentance, but Verizon apparantly thinks that normal people do.

24. JediKal

JediKal Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2005
    Yeah, the preface to the Star Wars novelization includes an excerpt from the Journal of the Whills, but this Journal only exists in George Lucas's mind.

I had read somewhere that in earlier drafts of the story, the Whills were like a race of supreme beings overseeing the galaxy, and Lucas took that idea and morphed it into the Force. I also recall reading, but I can't for the life of me remember where, that Yoda's race were called the Whills. But again, this is likely some conjecture far from the official universe of George Lucas.

I do have no doubt that in its quest to get as much money of its fans as possible, Lucasfilm will eventually release a super unlimited ultra special edition DVD version that will have some of these cut scenes put back in.

25. legoman

legoman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 14, 2002
    I would like to see Lucas do what was done for Lord of the Rings, and re-cut all of the deleted scenes from all of the movies. Of course, only us die-hard fans would want to watch that much Star Wars, but who do you do think pays his salary anyway?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.