main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your reading time for books

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Excellence, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

How long do you like to spend reading a book?

Is speed important to you? I've found the more I like a book, the slower I'll take to read it, oddly. I enjoyed Memories of Ice so much, I dragged it for a month of weekends! For Storm of Swords I was slower for different reasons.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    That month could also have something to do with the book being the size of a cinderblock.

How fast I read depends on the book. A book I enjoy I'll be able to read faster than one I don't, though in the end I may wish I'd done otherwise. Good books generally take me longer to read than fluff -- more complex sentences, prose and ideas simply take longer to digest than what you'll usually find in, say, a <i>Star Wars</i> novel or your average heroic fantasy novel or what-have-you. Nonfiction usually takes me longer than fiction.

3. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    My personal experience is that I read a book really fast - a couple of days at the most to read a 500+ page novel (with interruptions for sleep, eating, working etc). But... I can go back to a book more than once with ease and enjoy it just as much on multiple re-readings.

4. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    This is going to sound weird, but it actually takes me longer to read a hardcover than a paperback. I don't know why. The books can be at the same level of interest, and same size, and same complexity, but it can take me twice as long to read a hardcover. I think it's because it's harder for me to get comfortable reading a hardcover, so I tend not long reading sessions.

And yes, I also take longer to read nonfiction. There's just too much to take in. Novels I can usually fly through in a couple days.

5. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I love reading, but I take a very long time to get through a book. I just can't read more than a chapter or two at a time without taking a break.

Short attention span I geuss.

6. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    It depends on what I'm reading. If I'm reading something for the first time I tend to get through it within a week. But if I've already read a story I'll take my time to enjoy it.

7. Genimay

Genimay Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    Reading stuff for the first time I will sit and read the whole thing non stop. After the first couple times I slow down.

It took me 6 hours to read Star by Star if that gives you an idea.

8. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Like most people, if the book Im reading isnt holding my interest than it will take me much longer to read than one that does. If its really bad Ill procrastinate and take days off in between reading it. Strangely, though, Ill pretty much always stick with a bad book until the bitter end - I guess hoping on some level that it will pay off somehow - but there have been a handful of books which were just so painful to read that I just gave up about halfway or 3/4 through.

As for books I enjoy, I usually wont zip through any one book faster than another, if only because I dont have hours upon hours each day to dedicate solely to reading. Because of work and other RL commitments Im usually only able to read about 50 pages a day, and fairly often Im forced to skip a day here and there simply because Im too busy with other things.

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Granted, Mastdage, Memories of Ice was nearly 1200 pages, but I could have flown through fast if I wanted. Son of Avonar, however, had more complex sentencing; women tend to enrich their sentences with chummy emotion and philosophy, so a book a third in size took longer than average. However, Erikson's material is nonsensical for the first half of a book, until you makes sense of the prologues and who's who. I either read slower and digest or loose myself in the mist.

I couldn't get past Reality Dysfunction's first online preview page, I couldn't do a book of such verbal complexity. I want a leisure read, not brain work.

Oddly, I don't read SW books too fast either.

10. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I do a book and a half or two books a week.

I like to read for an hour and a half before I go to bed.

11. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    It really depends on the book and the style of writing for me. Some books, I can jump right into and read in a day, sometimes less. Others, it takes me longer, depending on the content and style.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It just depends on my schedule. I like to get an hour a day in, but I don't always get it, sadly.

But I can generally get a book done in three days, if it's of average length, but which I mean, less than nine hundred pages. If it's incredibly long or incredibly dense or incredibly boring, it can take a week or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.