main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga "Your Real Mother" -spoilers-

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by masterArchitect, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterArchitect

masterArchitect Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Caution: EIII spoilers sighted, one point off the starboard bow...

"Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?"
    "Just images, really, feelings. She died when I was very young. She was very beautiful, and kind, but...sad. Why are you asking me this?"
    "I have no memory of my mother..."

This, one of the biggest plot scenes in Return of the Jedi, now is suddenly questionable, because of the end of Revenge of the Sith. It bothered me while I watched the birth and funeral scenes, as, obviously, Leia could not have known her mother. Therefore, I'm putting together this little vignette, mostly for a personal resolution of this situation. Hope you enjoy.

T: Your Real Mother
    C: Young Leia, adoptive parents
    G: Vignette

The young girl slowly rose from her sleep, the sun streaming in the room with its contrast against the crisp mountain air. She did not abruptly wake, as from a nightmare, but transitioned as one does at the end of an extremely moving holofilm, coming back to reality. As she found that her room was nearly in the same order as she had dreamed it minutes before, she ran to the porch where her parents were having their morning meal.
    "Mother, Father! Where did she go? Did you see her?" She didn't wait for a response beyond their bewildered faces. "My mother! My real mother! She was here, just now! She took me out around the city, telling me about when she was a senator, like you, Father!" The senator and his wife looked at each other, his face even more confused, hers turning to worry. The girl's real mother died soon after giving birth, on a remote station on a faraway asteroid. Her brother was taken briefly to Dagobah, when they dropped off the old Jedi master there to hide, then to a small desert world on the edge of the galaxy to live with his aunt and uncle, far from the formerly bright center of the universe, Coruscant, and their now evil father. Now, nearly five years later, all those secret events had nearly been forgotten.
    "My little princess, that can't be. You know she has been gone for a long time. I'm sure you were dreaming." The girl's face gave away her disagreement before he finished, and her voice soon followed.
    "No! She was here! She brought me back right before I came out here, but I forgot to ask her something, so I got back up!" The senator tried to smile, to put her at ease.
    "Dear Leia, you're so bright. Sometimes our dreams can seem very real, especially when we want them to. Just relax, and maybe it won't bother you after a while." His expert diplomacy did not succeed with Leia, and she ran inside, frustrated, with a tear coming to her eye.

The worry had not left his wife's face. "You know who her father was," she said. "Could she have had some kind of contact with her mother? Or had a vision of the past? You've seen how she can sense things, right?"
    "I don't know," he replied, trying to fight the returning confusion. "I'd rather she weren't cursed with those abilities. I don't want them to be suspicious of her. What they did to the others...she needs to believe she's like any other child."
    "Yes, but if she knows she's not, we can't suppress her."
    "Darling, adopted children usually want to know their parents, and, well, she has a very difficult circumstance. I don't think that it is wise to let her believe this. Why don't we show her some images of Senator Amidala, tell some good stories we remember about her, then she can have a realistic idea and some closure about it. And that'll be the end of it, she belongs to us now."

Leia sat on her bed, trying not to cry. Her parents could not have understood, she had been with her mother. Soon, though, the comfort of a soft hand on her shoulder overwhelmed the frustration in her heart, and her mother's voice echoed in her ears, soothing her back into a deep sleep.

2. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    That was lovely. :)

I love the idea of Padme "watching" over her daughter. It had to be frustrating for all involved, though - Leia thinking that her adoptive parents didn't believe her, and Bail afraid that her "abilities" would place Leia in danger.

Excellent vignette.

3. Yorkshire-Gal

Yorkshire-Gal Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    Wow- It would be impossible for the stories on this board to get any better!

Ive often wonderd about this, and i honestly thought GL would resolve it. But i think he did this so it would add to the tragedy of the story. I think though what you just wrote could be the only possible explanation :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.