main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Your sister city Charlotte's first charity event...

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by TuskenFan, Feb 28, 2007.

1. TuskenFan

TuskenFan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2005
    Hello all... Tucson's sister city Charlotte held it's first charity event on Feb. 17th at the One Man Star Wars Show. What started out as a simple idea of, hey, it would be cool to do a food drive or something like that at the show, into something that we actually pulled off. We had some help from our friends at the Carolina Garrison of the 501st and we managed to collect $193 in cash and 78 cans of food that were donated to the Second Harvest Food Bank. If you would like to see pictures from the event then please go here. Thanks again for all your support...

2. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    =D=

As 3PO said "Wonderfull!"

3. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    great job, and congragulations on a wonderfull event. Keep it up

4. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    We knew you could do it!! Way to go for the first time out of the gate, esp with all the last minute rearranging that went on in the lobby. Can't wait for you to go for the next one!

5. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I can :p ;)

Wednesday we went and dropped off the check and canned goods at the food bank and got a tour. What a great experience that was. The food bank is a "clearing house" for 16 counties :eek: All the agencies in those counties go to this food bank for food plus they have different programs for children, seniors and residential centers to come and "shop" there. They even have china for the residential centers!

I really liked the Kids Care program they have. During the week children who have been identified by the school as being at risk go to a center after school for a meal, mentoring, homework help, etc. On Fridays the children get a backpack full of food to take home for the weekend. Many kids say it is the only food in their home over the weekend. :( I'm hoping to take my sithling and have her help make up the backpacks for that program. Nothing like a healthy dose of reality to get over the "gimmeitis". ;)

6. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Makes me wonder what all our Food Bank does besides just pass out food. [face_thinking]

7. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I know at that particular location they have the WIC offices and other charity offices such as the Community Loan Chest [they loan out durable goods like shower seats for folks just out of the hospital, etc].

I'm not sure of all the programs the Tucson Community Food Banks offers.

8. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I know when I got out of the hospital we got several of the items I needed from WorldCare. I am going to check into these other places and what they have so that we know for any situation that could come up in anyone's future of for any event as well.