main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY Your Star Wars Autographs

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Mike_Skywalker, Aug 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike_Skywalker

Mike_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2003
    As it seems my last topic of discussion was D.O.A., let's try another one and see if anyone has a story to tell...
    What SW autographs do you currently have? Do you have a story behind getting it/them?
    What is your general feeling of the persons that have signed for you? Who was great, and who would you avoid the next time around?

I have a few, but not as many as some probably do here at L.A.S.E. :
    Ralph McQuarrie - I met Ralph at Wizard World in 1996. He was REALLY a quiet guy, but nice. He signed one of my lithos from his Art Of Star Wars portfolio, and was generally amused that I still owned that from 1978. I believe this was his one and only con appearance. Too bad. His stories are some of the best from the early days.
    Dave Prowse - I met Dave at a sci/fi con in Cinnci. He has been at every sci/fi con known to man and I have many things signed by him. He is o.k. I guess, not one for conversation or smiling...I guess it's that "British" thing.
    Peter Meyhew - Met him at Wizard World '96. Pete was delightful when I met him. Some say he is arrogant, but I caught him in his pleasant phase, I suppose. He is a mountain of a man! He turns up at every sci/fi con as well.
    Jeremy Bulloch - Now here's the guy! What a pleasure to have met Jeremy. He is perhaps the nicest SW "star" you will meet. Met him at Wizard World '96 and he was wearing a Chicago Bulls hat to support the natives. What a guy! Of course, this is when wearing a Chicago Bulls hat was in chic ;)
    Kenny Baker - Fun,fun person. We met at a sci/fi show in Cinnci. It was early in the morning, no one was in sight and we had a great chat about his work on Time Bandits. We hit on SW as well, but I'm also a big Time Bandits fan! :)
    John Hollis (Lobot) - Met Lobot in Cinnci as well. Hollis was very cool to meet, and unusual. He doesn't turn up much at cons, so the chance to meet him was kind of an honor. We talked about SW and of his work with The Hammer House of Horror, in which he was seen in several films. Nice guy.

I had oportunities to meet many others at Celebration 2, but opted not to spend time in the lines so that I could take in more of the show. My regret is not getting Carrie's auto., but I did get her on video. Perhaps at C3 I will get the chance to see some others, like Porkins, Motti, Biggs, and the crew.
    Thanks for reading! Sorry if it was too long.

How about you guys? Any stories to tell?

2. heehaw138

heehaw138 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2003
    i dont have any star wars autographs (i have dicky barrett's autograph though :).
    I agree that Time Bandits is a great movie! I love Terry Gilliam's movies.

3. Darth_Plastic

Darth_Plastic Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2002
    I recieved all my Star Wars Autographs between C2, Gencon and Wizard World this Summer.

The ones I got at C2 were:

Amy Allen, she was super to talk to.
    Kenny Baker, really nice to the fans.
    Michone Bouigue (Aura Sing), Very friendly to the fans every time I met her.
    Bonnie Peason ( Young Beru), I could she was overwheled at C2
    Warick Davis, One of the friendliest persons I've met.

I also did a sign and pull for Carrie Fisher and Billy Dee Williams.

At GenCon I went to the Fan Club breakfast with Jeremy Bullock and Daniel Logan, Jermey is as great with the fans as everyone says he is. Daniel was very appreciative of everything that has happened to him in the past year. I had both of them to sign my silver Boba Fett :)

At Wizard World:

I got Leanna Walsman (Zam Wessel) autograph, she was very cool tp talk to and Ray Parks, He was suprisingly very down to earth,

I never really had a bad expierence with anyone I got to actually meet. They all were very appreciative of the fans.

4. Unicron

Unicron Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2002
    I'm pretty sure McQuarrie was at Chicago in '97, not '96. I got Ralph McQuarrie's autograph on one of his concept art prints at Wizard World '97. Man, am I ever glad I did that, because he hasn't been to a con since. It's one of my favorite pieces in my SW collection. I think McQuarrie's significance in SW history is undervalued by a lot of people.

At various Chicago shows since I've gotten Mark Hamill's, Ray Park's, Peter Mayhew's, Jeremy Bulloch's, Dave Prowse (the one SW celebrity who wasn't cool with fans...when I met him, at least, he was pretty rude and even refused to personalize stuff), the girl who played Rystall or whatever her name was, Amy Allen, Silas Carson, the woman who played Aurra Singh, Admiral Motti, Kenneth Coley, and Anthony Daniels's autographs. The beauty of getting SW sigs in Chicago is that there's never really a line, as opposed to something like C2.

Mike, I think I must have been at the same sci-fi show in Cincy that you were...I got John Hollis and Kenny Baker's autographs there as well.

At C2 I got Bonnie Piesse, who I thought was too gorgeous to pass up the chance to meet, Michael Sheerd, Julian Glover, and Billy Dee Williams. Then I waited for seven hours on Saturday to meet Carrie Fisher and got her to sign the same ROTJ photo of Luke & Leia that I had already had Mark Hamill sign.

So the only one I really need from the original trilogy is Han, and I've pretty much resigned myself that I'll never meet Harrison Ford, so I can live with that.

If I had my choice of SW actors to meet and get a signature from, it would be, without a doubt, Ian McDiarmid.

My dad bought me George Lucas's autograph for my birthday one year, and it comes with a COA and stuff, but it really doesn't hold the value of any of the others, for me personally, because an autograph is only meaningful if *I* am the one who gets it signed; it's more a souvenir of having met the person than just collecting an autograph.

5. Mike_Skywalker

Jun 12, 2003
    Indeed, you are correct. I found the program from '97s WW, and that is the one that I went too.
    Of the autographs that I have, my McQuarrie is the one I most value. I have been a huge fan of his for some time, since the beginning really. The look of SW wouldn't be what it is if he were not invovled. In fact, McQuarrie's influence on me would be such that my major was art in college, and I got a degree in commercial art. So he continues to be an idol of mine. I also met my wife in college where we both received the same degree, so I owe a great deal of gratitude to Mr. McQuarrie for many reasons.
    Mark Hamill's autograph must be a big feather in your cap! His autograph on anything Star Wars is about impossible these days, plus it's with Carrie's who doesn't sign that often either.
    I would love to have some of the other ones you have as well.
    I guess we were at the same show in Cinnci. It was a while back, and I don't think Hollis does the con circuit anymore, so that is a cool one to have. Glad I got it when the opportunity was there.

6. Drk Father1

Drk Father1 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I got most of mine from C2:

Amy Allen (very nice, very hot)
    Kenny Baker
    Phil Brown
    Jeremy Bulloch (one of the nicest I've met)
    Garrick Hagon
    Bill Hootkins (talked to him for a while, very cool)
    Dave Prowse
    Billy D Williams
    Michael Sheard
    Kenneth Colley
    Femi Taylor (Very pretty. Had her baby with her)
    Mary Oyaya
    Nalina Krishana
    Warwick Davis
    Carrie Fisher (yep, a 7 hour ordeal)
    Michonne B.
    Shannon Baksa
    Peter Mayhew (was an ass that day for some reason)
    Richard Laparmentier
    Julian Glover (my favorite Imperial)

Yes, I spent alot of money.

also:
    Ray Parks
    Daniel Logan
    Alec Guiness
    George Lucas (on a banner from C1)

whew. I need to frame these suckers.

7. Mike_Skywalker

Jun 12, 2003
    GOOD LORD MAN! That's a lot of autographs!!
    How did you manage to get Guiness and Lucas? I have to know!!!

8. Drk Father1

Drk Father1 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Well, the George Lucas autograph on the banner came through the fan club a few months after C1. They offered about 40 one morning for $400 each. The money went to charity and the banner went up on my wall. The $400 went on a credit card!

Alec Guiness's autograph came from an autograph dealer. I checked them out extensively and even compared the signature. I did quite a bit of research and am comfortable that its authentic. Same thing with Ray Parks.

they'd mean more if I had gotten them in person, but I'm content with them anyways. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.