main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Your Star Wars VII Experience?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MrCody, Dec 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Saw it in a relatively packed cinema (for a lunchtime showing) for a cinema in Hull

Only reaction I heard was laughter when BB8 gave Finn a "thumbs up" which I laughed at myslef. My experience was kind of ruined by the two guys sat both sides of me whom either had severe breathing problems or were so excited that their breathing could actually be heard over the film a lot of the time. I know it wasn't their fault but I really wanted to get absorbed into the next chapter of star wars, not listen to nasal breathing. (Apologies if those two guys are on these forums and see this post)

Jedi Chloe likes this.
  2. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    It was so good on the opening night, the cinema I went to was perfectly equipped to deal with the massive influx of people and the crowd were so respectful. Also had someone do a stellar Chewie impression right before the film started.

LANDO_ROCKS likes this.
  3. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    I really liked it the first time and it's grown on me more the second time around. I'm definitely behind the overpowering of Rey. It's called The Force Awakens remember. The awakening is centred around her.

Jedi Chloe and LANDO_ROCKS like this.
  4. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Went to 'Gold Class' (big comfy seats, table service etc) in Sydney.

There were massive groups of SW fans, club members I'd say? Everyone had their SW T-Shirts on, it was a mini-celebration, everyone was laughing and having fun.

Once we got in I was surprised how few ads played? Only 1 trailer and the usual local restaurant ads.

No pre-film cheering, this was a young hip SW nerd group clearly.

During the film there were loud cheers though, big laughs and some audible gasps at the requisite junctures.

The Luke scene got a few more cheers, on the way out the opinions overheard were overwhelmingly positive.

5. UberJediPaul

UberJediPaul Jedi Master star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    Very quiet in the theatre the entire time. No claps no cheers very low key event no-one seemed to enjoy it much (including me!).

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    great. people clapping and laughing and cheering.

7. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    A lot of waiting, a lot of popcorn, and a great time.

8. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    I'm still reeling from it. Itll take a few days to digest but I def cant stop thinking about it. I love the symbolism involved in the "rift" between Rey and Kylo. A figurative and quite literal divide between the characters. A lot going on there. Hux was passionate in his speech, loved that. Potential love between Rey and Finn? Geez I'm just stoked we are debating a NEW star wars film!!! Huzzah!

Jedi Chloe likes this.
  9. Jedi Chloe

Jedi Chloe Jedi Knight

Dec 5, 2012
    Great movie, tons of fun and excitement throughout the entire theatre. Round of applause and cheers when each original character appeared, funny, entertaining, sad all in one. Although the "Moment" brought me to tears it was still one of the best SW in my opinion and I look forward to where we got rom here

Poor Greedo likes this.
  10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I went to the first showing which was 7pm tonight.
    A few people in costume, but almost everyone in a Star Wars shirt. (I wore my Her Universe Han Solo dress.)

There was some light hearted jeering every time a new trailer started, but once the Lucas Film logo came up there was cheering, then again with "A long time ago...' and again when the Theme started. There was also clapping and cheering every time a beloved character came on screen, including R2, and then at the very end.

It was a great experience, as I expected.

thejeditraitor and Poor Greedo like this.
  11. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    The film's most crucial scene was met with utter dead silence right up to the moment. It was unbelievably tense. I haven't seen a moment that profound in a theater in years.

I'm not sure if I like the event itself, but its execution was handled so flawlessly that I can't fault them for it because the tension and the audience reactions speak for itself. Even when people were shocked, they only could just barely let out a gasp before watching what happened next.

Brilliant film-making. One of the finest moments of the saga so far, even as I hate it in some ways.

LordTimCahill likes this.
  12. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Went to the first showing in my town at 7pm Central US time this evening (12/17). Had several hundred seats in the theater (which was the most high end one at the place - leather seats, biggest screen, 3D, etc) and all seats were taken. Lots of cheers at the intro and everybody seemed to love it. The 3D was OK at best - but the one cut to the star destroyer at about the half way point had everyone gasping as the 3D on that one made it seem like you could honestly *touch* the damned thing.

The story and film were very well received and the character moments received a good amount of audience appreciation. Nearly everyone stayed for the credits and the line in the lobby (a 20 screen theater in the largest mall in the state - 11 screens are showing TFA) had to have more than 1000 people waiting to be seated as of 9:40pm.

I enjoyed this film. As mentioned earlier, the writers seemed to have listened to the criticism of the prequels and really did an incredible job here. The characters felt believable (yes, Boyega was fanboying the whole time, I would too if I was in his place), the story, while riffing off of ANH - was still quite fresh and exciting, and the new characters introduced seem to mesh well with the ones we all know and love.

My only criticism would have been at least *A* line of dialogue from Luke. Even something as simple as a "Welcome..." would have been sufficient. In spite of that, I enjoyed the hell out of this movie and will gladly pay to see it in a theater again and again.

13. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Just saw it for a promotion we were doing at the comic store I work for we had set up with a theater. The theater did everything they possibly could do to make things go wrong (letting people into the theater 2 hours before the screening and before anyone could get there to set up). My reserved seats for the people I had with me ended up in 3 different places. Long story short, was not pleased with that.

As for the movie, I liked it a lot. My only problem is the story was completely safe and didn't take many risks. I need to hear it on a better sound system though. Currently I'd give it a 7.5 / 10 or 8/10.

14. LordTimCahill

LordTimCahill Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2015
    I found it fantastic.

I'm seeing it again today with my parents this time and they have have been avoiding trailer/info/spoilers like a hawk since it was announced.

I'm absolutely terrified some dickheads will start yelling out spoilers as they come out of the previous session and ruin it for them.

Blake Starstrider likes this.
  15. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Had a great time. The audience cheered for the Lucasfilm logo (or maybe just that the previews were over), the first time the Falcon, Han and Leia appeared. There were also a number of laugh lines. None of the adults were dressed in costumes--though one kid was dressed as a padawan and another as Boba Fett. The guy sitting behind me was annoying toward the end--he had some real obvious commentary to his friend (a few seconds before Han's death he kept telling his friend how Han was going to die).

Blake Starstrider likes this.
  16. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    My experience started 2 hours before the 8:30pm show on the 17th. I was blowned away and thoroughly enjoyed it as Star Wars is back! The theater did not have any giveaways as the cool stormtrooper lanyards were all gone and only for those who bought all 6 films. This was special as i was with my brother, who last saw a film in theater with me for AOTC in 2002! The theater let us in early after we got some pics outside. The place was packed and had a few in costume. Many Jedi and some Leia with buns. My wife joined us just before it started. The crowd i would say was ok as they cheered often like when Han and Leia were introduced. Overall the movie gave us what many have longed for...true Star Wars with a joy ride in space..with the characters we love.
    Saw it in 3D the next morning and was able to catch some things. Plan on seeing it with my Pops this week.

17. GeneralOrgana

GeneralOrgana Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    I went to a 9:00 PM showing on the 17th. The theater was so crowded, hundreds of people lined up outside for showings all night and into the next day. It was very fun and exciting to go on the opening day and experience a bit of the chaos. I went with my cousin-in-law, because he was the only person I could find that wanted to see it, and we had a great time... I really enjoyed the movie.

I enjoyed it so much so that I went and saw it again on the 20th with my parents and my sisters. Very glad I saw it a second time, because I was able to appreciate the story and characters of TFA a lot more. First viewing I was so anxious about what would happen and how the Big 3 would be used, when they would show up, what references to the old movies were being made, etc, that it was kind of hectic and I couldn't focus as much as on my second viewing.

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.