main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'Your story is ready, please drive through', Is Fast food Fan fic a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarthBreezy, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    I honestly can't write viggies. I can't. I always want to find out what happens next... my characters don't get off easy. They have to go through the full torture. :p

Every viggie I try to write spawns a 15,000 word story. :p

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Every viggie I try to write spawns a 15,000 word story. Bragging or complaining?? ;) ;) :p

I would love for that to be my problem. I'd love to even have the muse bite with a viggie for a challenge more often. LOL

Still in reading, a wuick viggie is nice and an long story even better wehn time allows.

3. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    A wuick viggie, Leona? As long as it doesn't have any shoiklers, right? [face_laugh]

4. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Not a wuick! I can't wrestle anymore typo-spawned bunnies this week, Leona :_| They'll be no epics blooming from the wuicks, but maybe a few viggies for sure. :p

5. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    8-} You lot are so strange.

Have you ever had a viggie just sort of bite you in the rear one day and you can write it in five minutes no problem, but then an amazing idea comes along that you are VERY excited about and you get nada? I HATE that.

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Okay took me a good couple of minutes for my laughter of embarrassment to die down enough to type. Yes I even preview my posts, but I firmly believe the letters rearrange themselves after I hit post. Yeah right, that sounds good. And there will be no discussing details of wuick fics here. ;) :p

Have you ever had a viggie just sort of bite you in the rear one day and you can write it in five minutes no problem, but then an amazing idea comes along that you are VERY excited about and you get nada? I HATE that.

Hmmm, not quite five minutes, but yes I understand. That's the couple of fics sitting in WORD. Got the bite, then typed like crazy for a couple pages only to have the well dry up as suddenly as it sprang forth.

7. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    I'm very new to the world of fanfiction, and I have several viggies, and one short story. Epics are a lot of work - I have two started at another site; they're not SW - and they really huant. *hasn't updated either one for too long*

Viggies are really good for getting the grip of a character that you've never written/have trouble with. I've done it, and it works.

One user that I know well is working on three SW epics, and one of something else. And she's graduating this year. Haven't had a post on three of them since March. But I understand.

Myra

PS - I write short. My 8-page short story is really long for me. My posts are about 1-1 1/2 pages. Or less, if i get to a really good stopping point.

PPS - I takes a lot of planning and time to write a epic. Not everyone has that type of time. Though some tey anyways. :p

8. VadersMistress

Apr 7, 2004
    Hey! And just why can't we discuss wuick fics here? [face_plain]

I think the letter DO rearrange themselves. I mean, the dryer steals socks so why can't the computer rearrange letters?

I also can't stand it when you can only write a paragraph or so and then it just pfft. And that's that. That's all folks.

9. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    You lot are so strange.

This coming from you? o_O

I've done that once or twice, where it seems like the vig was already written, and you're just pouring it out like it's nothing. I have an idea right now that I'm really excited about, I even tried to make a collage for the cover of it, but the actual writing part...heh heh... I think maybe you can get too hyped, like when you're awaiting an event, and then when the event actually comes, it can't live up to preconceived notions of what it should be. :(

10. VadersMistress

Apr 7, 2004
    This coming from you?

Hey! If that statement weren't so true I would be deeply offended. Now, if you don't mind I think I will go wash my elephant. 8-} 8-}

Too true, LE. Too true.

11. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Yes I even preview my posts, but I firmly believe the letters rearrange themselves after I hit post.

Of course they do. It's the case of sneaky letters. At least Leona 'w' isn't far from 'q' ;) I'm still trying to figure out how shoikler was spawned from spoiler [face_thinking] Those conspiring letters must have been inspired ;)

And it's all your fault now that my epic will never meet it's end. I've got a wuick viggie that demands to be written. :p

*previewing before I post*

12. VadersMistress

Apr 7, 2004
  13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Very funny.

14. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    LE [face_blush] Thank you. That was quite lovely to say.

I think it's true that a good story can come in many forms - short, long and every flavor inbetween. As long as you enjoy reading/writing it, you've accomplished what you've set out to do.

So just lean back, a satisfied grin on your face and enjoy that quick snack or 7-course banquet.

Leona Do you have gremlins? Or are you trying to invent a new vocabulary? :p

15. VadersMistress

Apr 7, 2004
    It's the computer gnomes I tell you!

So just lean back, a satisfied grin on your face and enjoy that quick snack or 7-course banquet.

That's actually a very good comparison. :) It's rather fitting.

16. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    All this talk of food is making me hungry now. :p

For those who can't seem to write a short piece, you might want to challenge yourself to step outside the writing box and do something completely different. The challenges have been an incredible way of pushing the limits of what you can do. You might even find that you like it. I know when the Qui-Gon thread had the haiku challenge, I had a marvelous time writing them and we had tons of lovely haiku. Drabbles on the Obi-Wan challenge thread (and the short sock challenge) brought out some real creativity. And, the reverse can be true. For those that are uncomfortable with longer pieces, try it. You might like it!

17. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    VM: Glad you thought that was funny :D

18. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Can we please keep little off-topic comments out of this thread? There is no reason to bring up the content of that signature here.

Challenges definitely help broaden horizons, diane. red really challenged me with our collab, to write in a genre that I was uncomfortable with. :) The same can be true with length...hey, maybe even a new challenge type thing could be spawned. Although, the 'write an epic' part would be sort of tricky, as opposed to the 'write a viggie' part. :D

19. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I love challenges! Why? Because they get me started in a direction and then it is a challenge to see if I can write what is needed. Challenges are also a great way for new authors to get their work read because a lot of people read the challenge entries. And I've had some very interesting stories spawned by challenges. Much to my chagrin at times! :D

20. VadersMistress

Apr 7, 2004
    LOL. Definitely a little tricky. ;)

I like the idea of a challenge though.

21. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Although, the 'write an epic' part would be sort of tricky, as opposed to the 'write a viggie' part.

LOL, that is very true. Of course, if you've only ever written drabbles, a vignette or 2-3 poster story could seem like an epic. :D

Getting out of the comfort range can be quite enlightening, though - length, style of writing, even content. Pushing the bounderies and you get to discover a whole new world!

22. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    There are days when writing my name is a challenge. Well, to be fair, it's got NINE letters. My mom got fancy. Ugh. That's why all my kids have fairly short names. You, Hey You, Stop It, and Oh No!

23. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    What do you guys think of linked vignettes. When it's a series of snapshots of different times but all about the same people and often the same situation?

Challenges are good. I haven't upped the Writer's Challenges in a while, but normally they are supposed to focus on something that is short in length.

Kithera

24. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Linked vignettes sound like fun. :)

25. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    I enjoy linked vignettes. I like both viggies and long stories.

As I writer, I use viggies to burn off excess energy. Sometimes I have to distance myself from a longer story to be able to come back and look at it clearly again. Viggies do that for me by giving me the chance to write something different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.