main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your thoughts of Homeworld 2

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Excellence, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Homeworld 2 looks interesting. From what I gather it's about controlling space fleets. What kind of game is it, RPG, RTS, other?

If anyone's played it, what did you think? Better than its original?

Any feedback would be great. Thanks! :p

2. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
  3. Evil-Yoda

Evil-Yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    Not really sure, but I think its a RTS/Action.. Somthing like that.

4. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    It's a 3D RTS, and probably the best example. I haven't played 2 yet, but I have the original and it's my second favorite RTS.

5. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Download the Demo. I was addicted to the demo for a few days but well, you can't do terribl much so I got tired of it.

¤Night

6. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    It's a 3-D RTS game and by far the best example of the unique genre. There was another game called Starmagheddon that copied the format last year I think and I thought it was awful. I find Homeworld very addictive best of the great gameplay and the engaging storyline. I play it at LAN's all the time.

I can't wait to play Homeworld 2 when I buy it.

7. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I went to the official site but had trouble downloading. Hmm, I'll try again!

8. pirry

pirry Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2002
    I have it!

Really fun game, I love it, much better than the first one

Try it! :D ;)

9. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I found a review elsewhere. It said it was like Starcraft-type games, where you gather resources, upgrade technologies, but in a 3D space environment.

10. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Yeah those games are referred to as Real Time Strategy (RTS).

11. Evaders99

Evaders99 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2002
    Definitely not your normal RTS. It makes you think because...

1) its a slower game. When you're trying to manage resources and stop an enemy in this incredibly large map (3D no less), sometimes you wish you could do 2 things at once.

2) cap unit limits + specializations = attacks and counterattacks. Build a real specialized fleet, and you may find yourself defeat easily. Build a balanced fleet, and you still may find yourself defeated. There's no one special weapon for any group that would tremendously tip the scales.

The graphics are just beautiful, the soundtrack is awesome.. the storyline makes you want to get it there. Improves on the original with simpler controls (though still maybe a little complicated than your standard RTS.. hey, its full 3d space) as well as easier access to production menus and such.

Certainly if you enjoy a good story and a good game, buy it! If all you want is a "build-rush-kill" game, go play something else.

12. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    This sounds intriguing, and worth getting. I'll havta give it a go!

I can't imagine what it's like playing in a 3D environment; the closest comparison I have is the Rogue Squadron 64 game, but even that was kinda limiting.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    My goodness it's complicated. The AI kicked my butt three times in skirmish before I was able to specialize my forces enough to handle the rock/paper/scissors style of warfare.

It's so much easier when you have the right ships against the right enemies.

And ion frigates are just plain wicked.

14. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    The only game I've played that's unfairly challenging was Desann---on the hardest setting. Not even Starcraft could hammer if I knew what to do early enough. :p

I noticed that in the Amazon reviews, that the AI seemed to be especially challenging. Man, I gotta get this as soon as I can . . .

15. WildCard

WildCard Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2001
    the game is very good, specialy when you get online and jack someones mothership (3 marine/inf frigs)

very amusing to say the least.

16. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I'm having trouble finding this out . . . silly as it is, what month of what year did Homeworld 2 come out? I think it came out this year, didn't it? I can't seem to see the release date on any review or site. Thanks.

I'm close to getting it this. Just a bit longer . . .

17. Evaders99

Evaders99 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2002
    Released September 16, 2003.

http://www.relicnews.com is the best source for info.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hah! I have the actual game now.

I'm going to finish the campaign before I play around with skirmishes. It's hard.

I'm suck on the third mission. Only tried it once, but eh... :(

19. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Isn't the third mission the one with the three asteroids? I think EVERYONE is getting stuck on that mission, me and two of my friends have... I've beat the game already though so has one friend.

The game is just awesome, plain and simple. The storyline is simply awe inspiring.. heck there was one part of it that was actually so convincing and sad that I just about cried (literally, my eyes were watering because of it.)

20. WildCard

Jan 27, 2001
    The end of mission 10 and 14 were :'(

sajuuk is teh pwn.

I have modded the game a little bit, boosted the armor of all ships, made fights last a little longer.. and now ALL ships have debris, which can be fun total wreakage everywhere.. and later on after you run out of asteroids to mine you end up having to bring in a carrier task force to get resources from the battlefield.

21. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    So it came out only last month? Wow, I hadn't known it was so new.

I don't want to pay a $100 here for it, but I've dreamed of a genuine 3D space battle game . . . I wouldn't be surprised if I get this very soon.

System requirements seem very high!

22. WildCard

Jan 27, 2001
    it doesnt install if you do not meet the min requirments :( there is a hack to get by it though

23. bowieslefteye

bowieslefteye Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2003
    HOMEWORLD=tehl33t

24. WildCard

Jan 27, 2001
    so anyone have any neat homeworld 2 mods? :)

I have my debris/armor mod and the buildable dreadnaught mod (the dreadnaught from single player)

25. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    What about Sajuuk? I want to build Sajuuk..

Where'd you find that mod for the dreadnaught?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.