SNG Your thoughts on compulsory education

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by G2Jedi, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G2Jedi Jedi Master

star 1
    Hey guys, i'm preparing a speech on compulsory education. I would appreciate it if you gave ur opinion. Please include ur age, school(if any) and name. Thanks.
  2. xeno_kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ok, I am 11 studying in Maris Stella. Do not wish to disclose my name. School sux... I wish I can work and earn money to buy more stuff like from SW and live on my own ! Singapore shouldn't have compulsory schooling so that we can have our own freedom to do whatever we want.
  3. Peacekeeper Jedi Knight

star 3
    hahaha...
    actually it's better to study... I'm working now & i really feel that studying is much better then working...
    On compulsory education....well i juz have to say tt it's gd... just that it can be very irritating....CCAs,homework etc...
    but overall compulsory education is gd...
    Also xeno_kenobi, what could u work as?? Also Singapore is so small how can u live on yr own? Living by yrself is a large responsibility...u will have to manage yr own time & pay yr bills...though i doubt that a student on a temp/part-time job can earn that much....

btw G2Jedi...where do u intend to make yr speech?
  4. Darth_Eagle Force Ghost

star 4
    Compulsary Education is carried out cause there is a GREAT need for Singapore to have people who are well educated.

We got nothing (no oil, no coal, no rubber) but people to make our living standard to the same level as the other people living in Developed countries. With education, people are able to think better and make better decision. We can sell our high skill to the companies or the people here.

Moreover, nowaday, paper qualification plays a very important role to secure even the lowest "good" paid jobs. Your skill or experience is only secondary to how high you had studied. And even people who got the Degree Cert will not automatically get well paid jobs, they usually start low and had to rise through the ranks.

People who got little education (that is without PSLE) will not go far; they will become sweepers and toilet cleaners and garbage collectors. Do we need 1 million of those type of workers to keep Singapore clean? Even now for such job, the employer will look for people who are older (30++) and desperate for a job (they got a family to support) and can slave themselves to the job. Young people don't have such things; we are impatient and only want to buy buy buy. We are also not willing to do all these "dirty" job and frow upon the very low salary.

An educated parent will also raise well or better educated children most of the time. Parents, especially stay at home mothers, is the real educator of children in the early years. They have to teach their children reading, writting and help them in their homeworks, other than discipling them. And through a good level of education, the parents will also have better understanding of their children and better adapt to the changes around them as children become teen and adult. And if at least the father is better educated, thus earning sufficient money to support 2-3 children, the mother need not slave herself to her job to get more money and she can spend more time with her children, raising and educating them.

A good example will be my cousin; his parents are lowly education (Primary I guess) and how did he turned out? He failed his PSLE 3 times with grades U. And now he had completed VITB but can't even proceed to ITE. Will he go far in life and earn Big money? No. Of course, another blame could be because he's too pampered being an only child BUT things could change for a better IF his parents had seen a need to push him to greater height in educations through them being educated better. And if he do have special needs, if his parents had been more educated, they could had arrange for the special need to be cater for through special classes or special way of educating him while he's at home.

An opposite example to this will be a close family friend. Although the parents only completed Primary School or Basic 'O', they choose to push their children to get educated beyond their level of education. So where are their children now? 2 are in the police force earning tripple (or more) of their fathers' earning while the youngest in a quite challenging to enter course at a Polytechnic. Why, even the 2nd daughter took up the offer by the police force to further her studies in a Higher Diploma.

Anyhow, the rate of school dropouts currently, compared to Singapore early years (1960s-1980) is dropping fast. I remember in my primary school day (a good primary school, mind you!), I only seen 1-2 school dropouts. So having Compulsary education is like banning littering.

Moreover, many of the Help groups in Singapore are doing their job well as long as the one being helped want to get helped and changed. Parents can't afford to pay school fees? School can help to arrange for it to be free. Can't afford school books and uniforms? School can help to arrange. The only question here is to show that you need the help and will greatly benefit from the help. Very few lowly educated parents will see the need to push their children in their studies.

Therefor, the implement of the Compulary Education is to create a better Singaporeans in the f
  5. G2Jedi Jedi Master

star 1
    LOL, DE! Your one single post was longer than my entire speech!
  6. Darth_Eagle Force Ghost

star 4
    Opps!! I did it again! :p

Just take only the important point then, and summerized them.

So have you check out the articles from the previous & last year on this issue for the reasons given by the governement and other people?
  7. G2Jedi Jedi Master

star 1
    Nope, where do i find them?
  8. Darth_Eagle Force Ghost

star 4
    U can try the National Library. :) They could still have kept the newspapers' articles on those microfilm. If not, ask the librarian for some help/link.

Online searching may also give some links to official/students'/researchers' websites that have some infos on this issues, or at least, the time frame when the issue was well discussed in the mass media (so you know the dates of the newspapers you should borrow from the library).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.