main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Your Thoughts On Desert Storm II: VOTE

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Xtant_Tyranus, Mar 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tk-7603

tk-7603 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2003
    well said!

2. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I personally believe France and Germany sold weapons to Iraq...

3. Sith_241

Sith_241 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    France sold iraq the technology for their nuclear reactors in the 80's.
    Well i am not necessarily happy about this war. I feel N. Korea is a bigger threat beacuse it has ICBM's that could hit the US, but i also think saddam is a jerk and needs to be taken out. But if were gonna take iraq first, lets get this over with so we dont get puched in the Gut by North Korea while were fighting Iraq. I think it will be quick and hopefully not too bloody.

4. GreyJedi

GreyJedi Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Arma-Geda-Mandalore: If you would so despise what we are and what we do here, then why are you on this message board? How can you defend your position if you must resort to insults and put-downs to belittle the opinion of those who do not agree with you? If you fought for our country then you must surely support the freedom of speech that is guranteed by our Constitution. I may not agree with your point of view, but I would fight for, and die for, the society that protects your right to say what you want without fear of reprisal from a police state.

It disturbs me that you think the members of this club live in some sort of fantasy world. Your implied assertion that we do not know fact from reality shows that you do not know us at all. We are a group of very diverse individuals who are drawn together by a love of a certain series of movies. However, as this topic certainly shows, we also are aware of what is going on in the world and, as the rest of the nation, have our own diverse views of the matter. This should be a mature and rational discussion of a matter that is very important to all of us and anyone should be welcome to present and support their views.

And for your information, the Jedi did NOT fight the war against the Emperor. The Jedi were the peace-keepers of the galaxy and wanted to resolve disputes diplomatically. And when diplomacy failed they were not allowed to fight. But why would you want to compare something in a fantasy movie to real life?

5. Sith_241

May 23, 2001
    Yeah, the jedi only resorted to violence to protect others who were directly in danger (i.e being attacked)
    But hey, you can have whatever belief you want, thats why we have free speech, but so can we.

6. Sith_241

May 23, 2001
    Well looks like this is all academic, the air bombing has begun...

7. Arma_Geda-Mandalore

Arma_Geda-Mandalore Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2003
    "Linda and Donna are the only people who have said anything intelligent in this thread."
    "The ONLY reason that we're doing anything in Iraq is for the oil. That's it. If you think otherwise, then you are falling for the lies the government is telling you hook line and sinker. As Public Enemy once said, "Don't believe the hype"."
    "I just can't understand why people are buying this stuff about us being the only country to stand up and do something about this "dictator" in Iraq."

Forgive me, the insults were delivered before my posts. I simply worked from them. I don't despise what you are and do, I simply see hypocrisy in a few select individuals. I never even insinuated that anyone lived in a fantsy world. Rather, to the contrary, I simply pointed out that you PRETEND to be what you staunchly stand against here. And this whole pretend game pervades the lives of many SW enthusiasts, in case you hadn't noticed. As far as separating "fact from reality"(?), I think that the idealistic views of the peace side of this discussion seem to work against this concept. All the facts exist, and still there are those who refuse to accept them. The peace arguments are based on theory and conjecture.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my albeit short exposure to the group. Every member that I have met has impressed upon me a true sense of intelligence and an even truer sense of reality. I have disagreed with one or two, but have always emerged with the idea of "agreeing on disagreeing". I have made an effort to be a small part of this group by attending some events, but have never had the pleasure of meeting you. Strange.

At any rate, perhaps it would be best if I simply refrained from participating in any more events, as I seem to have emerged as some sort of socially inept war monger.

It has been a pleasure knowing those of you that I have met, and perhaps we shall cross paths again farther down the road.

You may have your board back, GreyJedi.

8. Sith_241

May 23, 2001
    you dont need to leave over this...were not mad at you or anything. No hard feelings dude!

9. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    bah - maybe we need to remember the great caveat of Darth Brian and apply it to everyone on this thread.

DO NOT TAKE DARTHBRIAN SERIOUSLY! HE IS USUALLY JOKING!
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE HIM, IGNORE HIM!

I've mostly avoided this thread because it frankly wasn't relevant, and similar threads on other boards seem to inevitably lead to conflicts of opinion which leads to name calling, grudges, stepped-on toes, etc. It seems that this thread has gotten pretty far to that end, and only on the second page! I'll blame it on stress of living in uncertain times and move on.

From hanging out with many of you, I know that I agree with some of your opinions and disagree with some of your opinions and probably others feel the same way about my wacky opinions -- but what keeps us coming back is our common interest - star wars.

i say we just move on, and focus on enjoying star wars -- it's like the lesser cable stations. the rest of the networks might have all the headlines about how life/the world/Michael Jackson is crappy, but there's always something good being served up on the Food Network, something exploratory on Discover Channel, and cheap junk for sale on QVC.

10. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Thank you Sith_241 and Jawajames... this discussion is nothing to get upset about. We are all unique individuals and have had different life experiences so naturally our opinions will be varied. Unfortunately when we discuss certain issues such as race, religion, and politics tempers can and often do flare. Please remember that as a general guideline, all users here should respect one another's opinions and beliefs. The goal of the Forums is to foster communication and the interchange of ideas within the online Star Wars community. You are welcome to disagree with each other's opinions, but you are not allowed to attack another member on the forum, nor bait them into attacking in return. Behavior of this sort is in violation of the Terms of Service agreement that you all agree to abide by each and every time you post. Continued violations of the TOS will require me to close this thread.

11. Sith_241

May 23, 2001
    yeah, lets all play nice! I wouldnt want to have my feelings hurt, or hurt anyone else's.

12. tk-7603

tk-7603 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2003
    armand, dont leave, we need you!

13. Sith_241

May 23, 2001
    Yeah, dont leave. Your a great guy to have around.

14. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    "we need you!"
    "we need?"
    "yes"
    "Oh, what about you need?"
    "I need? I don't know what you're talking about."

something you want to tell us jason ;)

15. ValueROCKR

ValueROCKR Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2002
    THe Bush Administration liead about Al Queda connections in Iraq...

Saddam is in no danger of selling any weapons he has because most people have as big a problem with him as they do us....

In tonights address Bush once again alluded to 9/11 and this war making a direct connection between the two.... Saddam couldnt even hit Isreal without moving his missles into place.... Meanwhile N Korea has WMDs that are pointed right at us and can hit many targets here.... but lets not get side tracked because its ALL ABOUT IRAQ....

This war makes no sense, it serves no purpose... Iraq is more than capable of liberating themselves.... I mean **** we left them a great chance to free themselves after the last war.... But did they? No so here we come again to spend more money and do it all over... Meanwhile neglecting the implications that this war holds not only finacialy but for homeland security as well.....

We have NO RIGHT to force our version of right on ANYONE ANYWHERE....
    So now American has attacked a nation that hasnt attacked us in 12 years.... A nation that hasnt expanded it borders in 12 years.... A nation from which we havent depended on for oil in 12 years....

Bush is just finishing his fathers war.... At any cost....

Now we will spend tons of tax payers money on them... Does anyone here remember the US occupation of the Phillipnes? Try to imagine that plus the threat of terrorism and the economy of today... Thats what we get to look forward to now....

We have no right to do anything over there.... Maybe if we stepped out of the Middle East theyd learn how ot do things for themselves... Instead we continue to support countries who would rather blow up our buildings and kill all of us than send their women and childeren to school....
    Foriegn Aid is supporting terrorism.... We send food and money to them so that they can continue living the way they are living.... How does that encourage change? If everytime they screw up we bail them out? They continue to kill our people and we continue to send the Aid like it does any good.... They take our money and insist on living in the dark ages... They refuse to educate their people.... They refuse to live in peace... They refuse to evolve as nations.... And inspite of their refusal to work for their own best interest we continue to support their habits...

And people say "Oh but he does such terrible things to his own people"

Once again proving that our world is what the news tells us.... There are many MANY more countries out there that do MUCH worse to their own people.... you should ask yourself why you dont here about them on the news...

16. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    So because there are worse dictators than Saddam, that makes Saddam okay?

17. ValueROCKR

Feb 21, 2002
    no im just saying americans need to wake up.... do you really think that Bush is oigng to go after all of them like hes claiming

18. AnakinWisler

AnakinWisler Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    We have NO RIGHT to force our version of right on ANYONE ANYWHERE....

So what do YOU propose! You think we should just sit back and allow Saddam to do whatever he want to his people! If we can stop him, then that's one less terrible dictator.

So now American has attacked a nation that hasnt attacked us in 12 years....

Better late than never. He's finishing what should have been finished in the last war!

19. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    no im just saying americans need to wake up....

That's a bit insulting. I am a Political Science major. I am well kept up on the issues.

do you really think that Bush is oigng to go after all of them like hes claiming

No I don't, and I don't think he's claiming that he'll get every dictator. Saddam should be fairly easy to remove from office in comparison to others and that's why we're going after him. If you can't remove everyone, you remove what you can.

20. ValueROCKR

Feb 21, 2002
    oh yeah lets ignore the real threats and go for the easy target.....

because thatll really stop terrorists...

im saying those nations need to fight for themselves instead of relying on us to do it for them.... being the worlds police man will only alienate us... sooner or later we will have to say no to someone and then itll blow up in our face...

21. ValueROCKR

Feb 21, 2002
    i dont mean to insult you man... amricans on the average are very uninformed about whats going on in the world... it wasnt meant personally...

22. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Iraq has tried to revolt but they get crushed everytime. Would you have rather the U.S. stayed out of Europe and let them deal with Hitler?

23. ValueROCKR

Feb 21, 2002
    we did until he sunk the Lusitania and killed Americans

24. AnakinWisler

AnakinWisler Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    im saying those nations need to fight for themselves instead of relying on us to do it for them....

We have been blessed with the power to stop this dictator. We need to use it! We might not be able to stop EVERY country, but if we can save just one then we should!

Edit: Deleted flame... calm down... I don't want to have to ban my friend. Please don't put me in that position.- MJF

Edit: sorry...my bad :( I shouldn't have said that...and the Lusitania was sunk in WWI

25. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    The sinking of the Lusitania was WWI. In WWII, The U.S. got involved in the war in Europe after Germany declared War on the U.S. after the U.S. declared war on Japan after Japan attacked pearl harbor. Frankly, the U.S. should've gotten involved sooner and stopped the killing of 6 million jews. Furthermore, the policy of appeasement (i.e. give peace a chance till its too late) was a colossal failure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.