main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your thoughts on "SW: The Phantom Menace - The Ultimate Edition"

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Son of the Suns, Feb 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Yeah, that was my only beef with it. When you say it's "every note of music John Williams composed for The Phantom Menace", then don't be surprised when people are ticked off because they didn't get what you promised them.

2. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Someone just asked if the UE was worth buying or not, so I thought I'd bring this up so that he can read about what we think of it.

3. Darth_Mameluke

Darth_Mameluke Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2000
    Thanks SotS... I think I'll buy it now...

4. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    I don't think it's the greatest, but I do like listening to it at work.

It's kind of like listening to the entire movie, but without having to withstand a single second of Jake Lloyd dialog!

5. Sarah

Sarah Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 1999
    Well, It's a lot better than the 1-cd that came out at first, because at least it's more complete, and the music is in the right order. It's not quite as good as the SE soundtracks, though. For me, the biggest omission is the accompanying text. For the SE's, someone wrote a really nice, track-by-track commentary discussing each motif and theme, etc. I like that a lot, and I would much rather have that than a bunch of tiny thumbnails of pictures that are mostly available in better prints elsewhere.
    Like others have said, a missed opportunity. But I'm glad I have it and I do like to listen to it.

6. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Well, I think the TPM:UE was sadly deficient, and though I've heard portions of it I have no plans on ever buying the double-CD. As others have said, the Special Edition soundtracks set the standard, and anything less would be a dissapointment, which this "UE" very much was. Hearing "every note" that was in the film was fine for the TPM FILM, but does not sound good without the film to accompany it -I HATED how DOTF was cut up in this UE soundtrack; it's fine for the film since several action sequences were happening at the same time, but sounds like CRAP when just listening to the CD. I much preffered the DOTF version on the original May 3rd TPM soundtrack....

The false advertising claiming that EVERY NOTE of J.W.'s compositions for the film would be on the soundtrack was also a blatant lie, and I was disgusted that Lucas allowed it to be perpretated. I only hope that the liscence for SW music goes to another company for the EPII soundtrack; maybe then we'll get something decent, since both the May 3rd TPM soundtrack and this new "UE" soundtrack both were sadly deficient in many ways....

7. Miz

Miz Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    DON'T GIVE SONY YOUR MONEY!!
    I've downloaded my favourite cues on napster, so the action starts right away. Any mellow tracks a like are already on the original.

8. Jedi of the West

Jedi of the West Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 7, 1999
    I am very happy with the Ultimate Edition of TPM. I love all of the Star Wars music.

9. JediPadawan2

JediPadawan2 Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2000
    I loved the Ultimate Edition CDs. It follows the movie pretty well, which is exactly what I had expected.

A lot of people complain about the soundtrack because some pieces are edited or music (which I'm assuming only they know about) wasn't included...but the bottom line is it's the soundtrack from the movie. Any music you heard in TPM is on the soundtrack. I really enjoyed the CDs - a welcome collection to the soundtracks from the OT.

10. JediTwinSunMoon

JediTwinSunMoon Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2001
    I have TPM UE and have enjoyed it immensely. I like being able to see the story play out in my minds eye with only the music going in my headphones. It frees me up to do other physical stuff while still mentally residing in StarWars. True,the Duel of the Fates theme plays throughout but can you not still see the lightsaber fight in the appropriate time and place. The Force theme runs throughout all the films and we never tire of it do we. I say,sit back,relax and enjoy. Force willing,there will another SE anthology when the second trilogy is done.

11. Turr_Phennir

Turr_Phennir Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2000
    The UE is excellent! It is without question far superior to the original TPM soundtrack release. I do share some of the reservations already expressed and although this could not be termed a "definitive" version of the score, its probably the closest we are going to get for now.

The Duel of the Fates music at the end was a nice touch, although the "Desert Winds" piece was really nothing to get excited about.

The album could have been better but it still had some great tracks missing from the original release, which meant it was a must have! I always listen to this now rather than the original TPM soundtrack.

12. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Up, to cut down on redundant TPM UE threads...

13. Jenkwombat

Jenkwombat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2001

It's excellent!!

Blows the single disc version right out of the water, in my opinion....

14. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Up....because SotS says so ;)

I think it is superior to the single-disc release, only because it is much more complete. But as many of you said, I was hoping for the same kind of package we got for the OT SE releases, and the TPM UE set falls a little short of those amazing standards. But I am glad to have some excellent cues, like Anakin leaving his mom, and the music when the Jedi board the TF ship. Those kind of cues make the set worth it.

15. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I returned it within 2 days.

What about full version Queen Amidala and Shmi Skywalker themes??

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.