main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon Your thoughts on the DVD's

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Darth_Stove, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Stove

Darth_Stove Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    I for one was dissapointed that they made further changes, mostly by adding Hayden to the end of Return of the Jedi. I thought that was lame.

2. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Ok, you mentioned one change, the only controversial change in the films.

Only a very silly fan indeed would dare say the other changes are not brilliant. They are just not possible to argue about unless you're so dumb and stubborn that you INSIST no movie should ever under any circumstances be altered after its first release.

For instance:

-Lightsabers in ANH look better, mostly fixed (not early on, though, those still need redoing).
    -Rancor's matte lines are removed and it looks better than ever before.
    -The emperor is actually the emperor now, instead of an old woman -- now if you really wanted it to stay as the old woman, well, I don't know what to say. I'd say you're just being difficult, though, because clearly it's an improvement in continuity.
    -Adding Naboo to the end celebration of ROTJ just makes sense. Here is a planet we've seen for all of the prequels, that (remember this!) every single future generation will have seen first, for three movies, and will be attached to, so it darn well should at least appear for 8 seconds at the end of the final film. It just makes sense. We've seen this planet in upheaval, in great trouble, and now we get to see it in celebration at the end of a turbulent era. That simply makes logical sense.
    -Everyone complained about Greedo shooting first, which is silly because it doesn't matter at all (only a complete moron would judge a character from ONE action -- and that means Lucas never should have changed it at all for that reason, because it was unnecessary, but whatever they are his films and he liked it). Now they shoot at the same time. That's a fair compromise and actually to be honest it just looks better.
    -People complained about Jabba in the SEs. I think he looked fine, personally. But now he looks more like the one from TPM, so that's a solid change for continuity's sake.
    -Luke scream removed. Hard to deny that this is either a good change, or makes no difference (I don't care either way, but I'm sure not too many people are like, "Darnit I loved that scream!")

I loved the Hayden addition but it was totally weird at first. I'd suggest that you give it more of a chance before you completely say it sucks. I mean, wait until after Episode III, sit down and watch all the films again, and just see. Because from what I understand that change makes sense in context of Episode III especially, but not as much right now. I just think you need patience, you have to trust Lucas will explain.

I absolutely love the DVDs, though, I had dropped off to watching the OT only a few times per year, because of quality issues... basically, have a home theater and they look lousy on VHS, and I have the SE laserdiscs but the side changing is frustrating, it really takes me out of the movie, I have to get up once, I have to watch it switch sides once and that is annoying, it just wasn't as much fun. Now I think I'll be watching a lot more SW!

3. jedi078

jedi078 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2003
    Bowen,

You forgot Bobba Fett now having an Australian accent like his father did in AOTC.

4. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    lol, that's true. Well it does make sense doesn't it? As far as the continuity goes. I'm not saying it's a great change... Part of me doesn't see the point, but hey, it's so minor. If that ruins your enjoyment of the films in some way, that's kind of odd?

I was listening to the director's commentary on AOTC the other night, I hadn't even done that. I just never much watch those commentaries, on any DVD, because I just like watching the actual movie too much. Anyway, I was fascinated by a few of the things I just totally missed, or hadn't thought about. Like I saw Jango hit his head on the Slave I on Kamino, of course (I actually didn't catch this until about my 25th showing), but I didn't even think about the fact that his clones are the Stormtroopers and that one Stormtrooper in ANH hits his head, too. So Lucas said that's sort of like a flaw, with the helmet on, Jango does that from time to time, i.e. so do the Stormtroopers.

So little continuity things like that are nice to see.

5. Darth_Stove

Darth_Stove Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    ok, I mentioned one change that I didn't like and you go off on all that.

6. Bounty_Scum

Bounty_Scum Jedi Master star 1

Oct 23, 2002
    I absolutely love them. I'm just glad they're on DVD now. As for any changes, it all looks and sounds good. I think it'll be a good transition after EP3.

7. OldBenny

OldBenny Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2004
    I saw the DVD set and its great I love them all!!

8. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    -Lightsabers in ANH look better, mostly fixed (not early on, though, those still need redoing).

Like Lukes green saber on the Falcon. I think that for me was my only complaint. I'm glad that he changed Greedo so they both shoot at the same time, the other way looked dumb.

I love my DVDs, If my house was on fire and I could grab 3 things, the DVDs would be one of them.

9. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Yeah... WHY was Luke's saber green?! What happened? I mean honestly, hahaha, that kind of thing doesn't just creep its way into a movie. It must have been a joke, but why joke around with the Star Wars movies? Not cool. I want that fixed real quick like. ;)

10. Atticus

May 31, 2002
    Don't worry, I'm sure it will be fixed when it is rereleased on DVD with all six of them. Or maybe Lucas has some new stupid thin in ROTS that explains it, like the "magic crystal of inner emotions."

George: "Well you see in this scene his saber is blue, but in the next scene it's green. It's like this because my kids thought it would be cool is it changed colors randomly. I figured, why not make it a magical crystal, one that can change whenever the weilder is emotional. Of course it is inconsistent with Lukes emotions, like in ESB when it should have turned red when he was fighting DV, but I'll save that change for the next DVD. I hope fans enjoy this definitive version of Star Wars." ;) [face_dancing]

11. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    WOOHOO! They rocked!

But, why did the fighters have the colored cubes around them that supposedly got taken out in SPECIAL EDITION?! That's my only fit.

Technically the lightsaber(according to Lucas) was supposed to be a white crystal. So it might just change colors against other backrounds on perpose? I know, lame, but hey it's an idea.

12. Atticus

May 31, 2002
    I also noticed the colored cubes, but did you notice all of the new lines in the Falcon right after they escape from the DS?

Leia: Here they come, be careful, they have a brown cube around them, that might be their non-existant shield.
    Luke: Hey, that reminds me of the force-field blob that used to be under my landspeeder.
    Han: Kid, I've flown from one side of the galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything like this all-powerful brown force-field that controls TIE fighter. There's no mystical energy-field that controls my ship. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense. ;)

As for the lightsabers, there are alot of theories about it. For me the easiest one to swallow is that in Bens 20 years of doing nothing, he improved Anakins lightsaber and added a "training mode" on it so Luke wouldn't hurt himself when he finally got it. You can't have the galaxies only hope getting his limbs cut off trying to learn how to use his saber. It also isn't that bad on my tv so it might also have a little to do with the color settings on peoples tvs.

13. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I doubt that. I didn't watch it on a TV, I watched it in a $100,000 home theater setup on a projection screen with perfect color clarity actually calibrated by home theater professionals. It is very green, lol. It doesn't bother me that much I just think it's funny, I mean why would like 1/4 of a second of film bother me, hehe.

"But, why did the fighters have the colored cubes around them that supposedly got taken out in SPECIAL EDITION?! That's my only fit."

I... have no idea what you are talking about. I didn't see anything like that, nor had i heard of this before I read your post...

14. Atticus

May 31, 2002
    Larena and I didn't THX calibrate out TV systems. That is why there are brown cubes.:-B Bowen, if you up the brightness of your tv and fiddle around you'll be able to see them. :confused:

15. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    What are you talking about?

This is all I know:
    In my Original Trilogy VHS set there ARE colored cubes around the ties. In my SPECIAL EDITION Trilogy VHS set there AREN'T colored cubes. In my DVD SPECIAL EDITION TRILOGY set the cubes ARE back.
    confusion.

16. Ash_Skywatcher

Ash_Skywatcher Jedi Master

Mar 5, 2003
    Not to nitpick, but the new voice on Boba Fett (Temuera Morrison) speaks with a New Zealand accent, not Australian. Trust me, there is a difference.

And just to add my 2 cents, I am perfectly ok with the changes made, even adding Hayden.

17. jedi078

jedi078 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2003
    Thanks for pointing that fact about the accents out Ash_Skywatcher.

You should have used a vote thread to see how many of us made the mistake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.