main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Your Top 5 TFA Characters

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jimmycrank, Jan 11, 2016.

1. One Quarter Portion

One Quarter Portion Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2016
    1. Kylo
    2. Kylo
    3. Rey
    4. Finn
    5. Chewie
    :p
    Honorable mentions for BB-8, Hux, Poe, and all the stormies ^ _ ^

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  2. Dominus Libertas

Dominus Libertas Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2016
    1) Kylo Ren - Not only does he have the potential of becoming the most powerful dark side user in the galaxy, but his affinity for Vader and his obsession is intriguing
    2) Poe Dameron - He's only the greatest pilot in the galaxy!
    3) Chewbacca - He kicked ass the entire movie and went ape**** after Han got killed.
    4) Luke Skywalker - He looked like a god in the ending, in which I thought was the best in the saga.
    5) Unkar Plutt - One Quartahh Portionn..

3. luketheforeigner

luketheforeigner Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    1.Rey

2.Kylo

3.Snoke

4.Chewie

5.Maz
    One more

6. Hans Solo

DarthEndus and Ricardo Funes like this.
  4. HellasLEAF-Jedi

HellasLEAF-Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Apr 25, 2009
    This is a good question. I think for me would have to be:

1. Kylo
    2. Han
    3. Chewie
    4. Rey
    5. Snoke

5. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Han Solo - amazing performance after so many years. Harrison nailed it
    Kylo - all his scenes are gold
    BB-8 - who would've thought they would be able to create a new droid so cute as BB-8? Instant classic.
    Finn - love his internal struggle. Heroic arc.
    Rey - independent and resourceful, and her past is surrounded by mystery.
    Snoke - how he could keep that decrepit body alive? Lots of dark side power for sure. He is Wise....
    Chewbacca - TFA has shown a lot of love for Chewie. One of his best movies.
    Poe - a badass pilot, kinda Han Soloish.

Dominus Libertas likes this.
  6. Qui-Gon Gin

Qui-Gon Gin Jedi Padawan

Dec 21, 2015
    Rey-a great combination of Padme/Leia.
    Poe-Finally a Rebel that has the potential to be a lead.
    Kylo-Great visually. Charecter needs a little more depth.
    Chewie-The most fleshed out we've seen him so far.

7. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    First, I'll answer with ONLY characters new from TFA.

Rey
    Poe
    Finn
    Maz
    Snoke

In my opinion, they were all interesting and fun to watch.

Now, to include everyone who appeared in TFA, including those from the classic trilogy:

Rey
    Solo
    Snoke
    Chewbacca
    Maz

DarthEndus likes this.
  8. JWM10

JWM10 Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2016
    1.solo
    2.Rey
    3.Fin
    4.Kylo
    5.Snoke

9. Darth Trepid

Darth Trepid Jedi Knight

Apr 29, 2014
    Kylo Ren - We needed a convincing dark side villain and we got one. His battle with the pull to the light makes him all the more interesting. I cannot wait to see if that battle has finally been won by killing Han Solo, or if that is the catalyst that will drive him back to the light.

Rey - Again like Mr Ren we needed a convincing hero that we would all love and strive to see triumph. Daisy Ridley done such a fantastic job making us all fall in love with Rey with the subtle things she done.

Snoke - I am just obsessed to find out who he actually is, be that either Plageuis or a brand new character. I think I rate him so highly because deep down, I am wishing he is Plageuis.

BB8 - Our new R2, incredible little droid, which is why spent the £130 and bought the Sphero BB8 which is sitting very nicely next to me as I type this.

Ackbar - Its a trap!

10. debiler

debiler Jedi Padawan

May 17, 2016
    1. Kylo Ren
    For a new character that has to follow up friggin' Darth Vader, I think they couldn't have characterized him any better. He is the most intriguing character of the whole movie, has some incredible scenes and that special something. When I first saw him take off his mask, I was a bit disappointed for a couple of seconds. But then I realized that it's a good thing. He is a villain that is not all darkness, and his average face under that layer of toughness represents that. He has clear motivations and a struggle within himself.

2. Han Solo
    Harrison Ford really impressed me, which I didn't think could be possible anymore. His "grumpy old guy" shtick is hilarious, and he alternates between that and real emotion perfectly. I had tears in my eyes when he gave his "...all of it"-speech. Han was the bond between the old Star Wars and the the new. And like a tattered, old beloved rug, that old scoundrel really tied the room together.

3. BB-8
    That little guy might have been one of the hardest tasks, character-wise. How can you follow up R2D2 with a new "bleep" droid that is different, but essentially the same? Star Wars Rebels handled this amazingly with Chopper, but he is a very over-exaggerated comic character. That wouldn't work in a live action movie. In the end, we got a funny, endearing, loyal droid friend for Poe. And that he blended in so well not only with the rest of the cast, but also with the world and feel of Star Wars is incredible.

4. Rey
    She is basically a less whiny, more positive version of Luke. All I can think of was already said, so I'll just skip a couple of lines here. She did have some awesome scenes that I have to mention:
    • having supper at the AT-AT
    • basically her whole introduction
    • her lightsaber vision
    • the interrogation scene with Kylo Ren
    • whenever she smiles, Daisy Ridley just lights up the room
    Also, she had great chemistry with all the other actors.

5. Hux
    While I do think that Domhnall Gleeson is a bit young for the part, he made up for that by exuding that imperial fascist vibe like the officers in the OT. He was more of a fanatic than those guys, though. Which shows brilliantly in his go-to scene. You know what I'm talking about. Yes, it's corny. Yes, it's over the top. Yes, it's utterly awesome. That kind of supervillainy is one of the reasons why nobody hates the Emperor. In a fantasy world, we need villains that are comically evil.

Honorable mentions:
    Chewie, who was funnier than ever before
    Poe, he is just awesome
    Luke, whose appearance at the end was so satisfying, even though it's a cliffhanger ending

But where there's light, there's also shadow. Sadly, the two CGI characters just didn't do it for me. I tried to like Maz, but she just didn't quite fit in. I think it was the glasses. Too gimmicky. When she took them off, it was easier to believe her as a character.
    And Snoke did suffer from being overexposed in my opinion. If they'd just kept him in the dark, like when we first saw him, he'd have been menacing and dark. But showing his face too soon was a mistake, I think. Also, is that the best the CGI department can do? He wasn't bad, but he didn't look as well as he could have if they'd just gone with Andy Serkis in a mask.

11. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    Very, very tough, but I think this is about right:

1) Rey - well-rounded, endearing and badass lead character who is by far the most iconic and engaging female character in the saga thus far. Brilliant.
    2) Poe - so damn likeable, charming and cool to watch, and I adore his relationship with Finn. Want so much more of him next time.
    3) Kylo - very unique and well-developed villain. I feel it took a little too long to build his story up properly in the film, but in the final act he's fantastic.
    4) Han - Ford's second best performance in the role and a truly triumphant, emotional send-off for him. Takes some of the spotlight from the new cast but I don't mind particularly.
    5) BB-8 - an adorable and surprisingly expressive ball of fun who absolutely nails the "comic relief/character for kids" element.

DarthEndus likes this.
  12. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    The movie had a really good cast of characters. Limiting it to new characters:

1. Rey: Interesting character, had strengths and flaws, well acted, bounced off well with the others, likable, decent start to a story arc, no complaints.

2. Finn: A really close second. Another good character and one we hadn't seen in the movies before, with the stormtrooper background. Also interesting character, with good acting, connections to the other characters, and a decent story arc with the sky being the limit for the future. Honestly, in my opinion, regardless of the quality of the actual story, I think TFA has the best batch of lead characters in the franchise to date (and considering that the previous movies had some good ones, that's saying something.

3. BB-8: I wasn't expecting to like this character, but I did. He emotes as well as the human cast, was a likable character, and the movie mastered what Rebels failed to do; have an astromech droid that felt like he belonged to the story and wasn't just there because the original movies had one.

4. Maz Kanata: Very entertaining character. They took the basic idea of the Yoda-type mentor and made it their own. Her irreverence and down-to-earth-ness was a decent contrast to the wisdom and sympathy she exhibited.

5. Kylo Ren: Interesting villain. I really like the complexity they gave him and that he's a foil for the leads (he started off in a stable home with a promising future, but still chose evil, while Rey and Finn were both raised in awful settings that would give them every excuse to abandon morality and basic human decency, but chose to not compromise and be good). I don't think he quite stands out as the others did and there's a few moments where he seems a little wooden, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens to him next.

To throw original characters in the mix, I'd insert Han between Finn and BB-8. While all the returning characters were wonderful to see and well utilized, I think, with the exception of Luke (who's a MacGuffin), that Han was the only one who couldn't be written out without changing the story. He also is given a worthy send-off that not only caps off his story's end, but also shows how much he's changed since ANH and why fans like the character so much.

DarthEndus likes this.
  13. jedisrm

jedisrm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Based on new characters only.

1. Rey
    2. Kylo Ren
    3. BB-8
    4. Poe Dameron
    5. Finn

DarthEndus likes this.
  14. Darth Zitious

Darth Zitious Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 2, 2016
    1. Kylo Ren: I never thought any character could ever compare to Vader for me as my all time favorite. But in one movie Kylo has made a push for it. I love everything about him. His lightsaber, the conflict, he is very strong with the force. Watching him toy with his opponents even with one hand and the twirls was very entertaining. How he took a bowcaster shot and still went after Rey/Finn was awesome. One of my favorite scenes ever was that fight in the woods. People can say what they want, him battling with that bowcaster injury and holding back because he had compassion for Rey was classic.

2. Rey: At first I didn't know how I'd feel at Rey being the potential Jedi instead of Finn but wow I love her. She is brilliant, one of those people who catch on things very quickly just by learning. It is going to be very exciting seeing Rey tap into her powers because we have only seen the tip of the iceberg. I am excited to see if they give her a dual lightsaber or if she keeps the hand me down. She's beautiful, and her accent makes it even better.

3. Han Solo: One of my og's, it was great seeing the typical Han Solo humor thrown in this movie. He was hilarious, but stepped into serious matters when he knew he needed to. That confrontation between him and Kylo Ren truly sent shivers down my spine. It was great seeing him re-united with Chewie and the Falcon.

4. Snoke: I am very intrigued to see how Snoke's character continues to grow and become a bigger part of the series. Very down to business type of leader, and he clearly has a great sense of timing. As he has waited to complete Kylo's training.

5. Finn: I gotta say I thought Finn's story is one of the best from TFA. Very cool how he was a storm trooper, and he is the one trooper who turned against the whole fleet. Out of fear at first, he became a true hero. He stepped in twice with no lightsaber experience and still we haven't seen if he is force sensitive or not which makes it all the more impressive.. Seeing him pick up that saber to fight Kylo for Rey was just very admirable. The guy is great with a blaster and hilarious as well. His one liners killed me.

15. Luke_Skywalker_1

Luke_Skywalker_1 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 2, 2015
    1. Finn
    2. Kylo
    3. Rey
    4. Han
    5. Chewie

Honorable mention to Poe and BB-8

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    1. Rey
    2. Finn
    3. Han
    4. Eh what the heck, I'll go with BB-8 (I was sure from seeing the trailer that I would hate this guy, but I guess not.)
    5. Chewie

I did not like Poe...or Kylo Ren.

17. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I had him at number 4 behind Han, Rey and Chewie when I first posted here, but with every subsequent watch I have to say that I find Kylo Ren more and more interesting. As others have said above, following Vader as a villain is no easy task, but this character manages it. Obviously there are echoes of Vader there, but Ren is a character like we've never seen in Star Wars before. The idea of fighting against the power of the light is intriguing. The dark side as an emotional shield rather than an attacking weapon also. Adam Driver does a fantastic job. I'd say after Vader, Ren is the best, most interesting Star Wars villain. I'd even give him the edge over Tarkin.

WebLurker likes this.
  18. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    1. Rey- She's the reason I love the movie, and in real life she seems like a humble person too.

2. Kylo Ren- I hope he doesn't wear the mask in Episode 8 as he's a cooler villain when it's off.

3. Han Solo- Ford was able to pickup the character from 1983 and not skip a beat.

4. BB-8 - Love this little droid!

5. Poe Dameron - Hope he gets more screentime in Episode 8 as he brings that relatable character to a GFFA.

19. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    I thought the Finn was more of the archetypal every-man than Poe.

Poe seems more like the idealized cool guy.

JediChipKelly and Darthmaul208 like this.
  20. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    1. Poe- The Successor to Wedge Antilles, just really good.
    2. Kylo Ren- Funny to watch, interesting character.
    3. Han Solo- Fun to see. Shouldn't have killed him off
    4. Luke- Best scene in the entire film
    5. Admiral Ackbar- Give him a spinoff. Have him tell stories about the Rebel Alliance to young Resistance soldiers or New Republic Senators.

21. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004

I guess it depends where they go with Finn. If they go down the force power road with him, then Poe may need to fill the important role of significant non-force using human.

JediChipKelly likes this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Kylo was a great villain, and Harrison made a great comeback, but the story of the day in terms of TFA characters was the amazing charisma and charm of Daisy as Rey- she was just a golden fit for the part.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  23. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    She was gold. I've said it before, but...

24. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    1) Snoke: there is something about this guy, underrated right now, but I have feeling when these set of movies is over people will wonder why they never spotted the magic right here in EP VII

2) Luke: someone else already said it: he's ******* Luke Skywalker! :p

3) Poe: seems one of those good guys that is actually good in spirit (sociable, friendly) one of those characters where you shouldn't take his kindness as weakness.

4) Rey: tough and likable with it.

5) Kylo: "a droid...stole a freighter?" and how can you not LOL at his tantrums? :p

25. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    My top 5:
    1. Kylo Ren
    2. Rey
    3. Finn
    4. Han Solo
    5. Poe Dameron