main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Your top albums of 2016

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Dec 12, 2016.

1. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    in any case to pimp was 2015!

tom likes this.
  2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    oh man you gotta listen to the new tribe. you're gonna love it.

Ender Sai likes this.
  3. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Four (five) musical offerings from the old guard...

1. Blackstar, David Bowie

The album gets an unfairly bright halo after Bowie's passing, though the excellent title track and "Lazarus" are among his best latter-day songs. The reviews, as could be expected, are hilarious and worth looking up (I took these samples from Wikipedia):

Rolling Stone's David Fricke writes the album is "a ricochet of textural eccentricity and pictorial-shrapnel writing", which makes a good album sound like a piece of crap. Andy Gill of the Independent has never heard Low or Outside, or in fact must be unfamiliar with Bowie's entire career, and writes that "Blackstar is as far as he's strayed from pop." Michael Rancic of Exclaim! writes that Blackstar is "a defining statement from someone who isn't interested in living in the past," and you wonder if he's talking about the same David Bowie that released some 20+ compilation albums, an astronomical number of retrospectives when you compare it to, say, Paul McCartney's four compilations since 1970. (Blackstar's "Sue (Or in a Season of Crime)" appeared in a different version on Nothing Has Changed and went by virtually unnoticed.) Listen to Bowie's intriguing 2003 song "Bring Me the Disco King" (the final song on Reality, and for a long time Bowie's final word) to provide yourself with some necessary context.

2. You Want It Darker, Leonard Cohen

Like Blackstar, Cohen's final album (the cover seems to be a negative of Songs from a Room) attracted eagerly generous five-star reviews, though it's harder to listen to, mainly because Cohen's voice had gone way past the point of serviceable. It's a spoken word album, basically, underscored with a Casio keyboard. It has its moments, as a kind of mood piece, and I understand that many music fans long for some "old world" authenticity in an age of American Idol and YouTube starlets, but YWID is no The Future, which is perhaps Cohen's last great album.

3. Blue & Lonesome, The Rolling Stones

There's something funny, and cynical, isn't there, about four old men, multi-millionnaires with houses in the South of France and on Mustique, aligning their corporate schedules so they can record some blues together and the critics hailing the result as "authentic". It's all standard "Blues Night at Joe's Caf" stuff; but then The Stones were always a good party band, with Mick Jagger mimicking Howlin' Wolf and Keith Richards doing his best Chuck Berry impression.

4. Fallen Angels, Bob Dylan

Another covers album, but unlike 2015's Shadows in the Night, which I loved as a kind of late night record, it outstays its welcome quite quickly. Highlights are, perhaps, "Polka Dots and Moonbeams", "Skylark", and "Melancholy Mood", though no one in his right mind would call these in any way must-listens. One for the shelf.

5. Ethel & Ernest (OST Soundtrack)

Paul McCartney wrote a song for the soundtrack to this lovely film, called "In The Blink of an Eye". It's typical McCartney in craftsman mode, which means the song is not very memorable but sweet and pleasant enough to evoke some indistinct feelings of nostalgia.

Only-One Cannoli, tom and SuperWatto like this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    tom, 15 seconds into "We The People"... I'm hooked. Those beats.

tom likes this.
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    This whole album is amazing so far. Why did I not know about this? :(

tom likes this.
  6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    1. Deftones - Gore
    2. David Bowie - Blackstar
    3. Megadeth - Dystopia

Those 3 are the ones that really stick out for me this year as being great and I spent a lot of time listening to. I enjoyed the new Green Day and Metallica albums, two bands I've always enjoyed, but they weren't on the same level.

Ender Sai likes this.
  7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    This thread makes me realized i haven't listened to nearly enough music lately. Only have few new ones that I heard this year.

David Bowie - Darkstar
    Kongos - Egomaniac
    Blue October - Home
    Radio Head - A Moon Shaped Pool
    Corinne Bailey Rae - The Heart Speaks in Whispers
    Warpaint- Heads Up

Ender Sai likes this.
  8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm probably going to miss a lot since I went to a ton of concerts this year and there's been some great releases. But for my personal favorites/most listened

Pig - The Gospel
    Legendary Pink Dots - Pages of Aquarius
    Rome - The Hyperion Machine
    Aurora - All My Demons Greeting Me As A Friend

I don't have a #5 but I'll throw Snog's Compliance on there, which was technically a 2015 release but toured for it in 2016 for the album so I waited until then to listen.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    No Drake fans? Kind of refreshing. He's pretty overrated, though I can't speak directly to Views. Hotline Bling was way overrated, I know that.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I just realized that I apparently only have two albums that were released in 2016, so far anyway:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll probably get some other 2016 albums at some point, such as the final Dillinger Escape Plan album.

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004