main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Your Top Ten Least Favorite Movies

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Sep 17, 2013.

1. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    I used to like Mummy 3 but over the years I've realized just what utter rubbish it is.

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It just didn't work compared to the other two, which aren't brilliant movies but at least are fun.
    3 didn't have Rachel Weisz, it didn't have Imhotep, it didn't even really have a Mummy at all (an army of frozen Terracotta soldiers is not the same as mummies). Stephen Sommers didn't direct it though, so IMO it doesn't really count. I have the Special Edition box of the first two, I plan to keep it that way.

3. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Oh, and The Last Airbender. How could I forget that travesty?

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Forgetting is the best option.

5. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Battlefield Earth
    Scooby-Doo
    Transformers 3
    Attack of the Clones

Honestly can't think of many terrible films I've ever seen. Sure, there are films that are terrible but I've enjoyed them somewhat. Those four were just devoid of any merit.

6. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I'll give you five which are at the top of my head.

'Jaws the Revenge' I like a movie when it is so good it is bad but this just is beyond that. This is by far one of the stupidest movies I have ever seen. It so blatantly spits in the face of the superior original. The fact that someone read this script about a revenge taking shark and give money to it to be made is beyond me. I love 'Jaws', if I were to do a top ten list it' would probably be on it. That being said the weak point of the film is Lorraine Gray. She isn't a good actress and Ellen Brody is a pretty stock character. It isn't surprising to see that this film killed her career.

'Slumdog Millionaire', this is one of the worst films to have won the coveted Best Picture Oscar. The story is one big cliche contrivance. If it had taken place anywhere other than India, everyone would have said that it was trying way too hard. Danny Boyle fooled people by presenting a Bollywood film which doesn't look or feel like a Bollywood film. I also think that the young stars of the film are terrible actors who give boring wooden performances.

'Zero Dark Thirty', There is no debate to be had about this film and it's depiction of torture. It very much believes that water boarding and enhanced interrogation are essential to combating terrorism. You already have a hard time winning me over with this viewpoint. Fair enough I can get behind a well made film whose politics and philosophies I disagree with. This isn't a well made film. It's very boring. The only scenes that have any passion in them are the torture sequences. Jessica Chastain is a wooden heroine with nothing beneath the surface other than wanting to kill Bin Laden. In every rave review of the film they praise how driven the character is. I don't see it. Chastain is wooden and doesn't emote anything.

'Watchmen', It doesn't have any of the soul of the classic graphic novel which I love. Zack Snyder doesn't understand the subtext of anything here. Alan Moore is all about subtext.

'Burn After Reading' (My IMDB review...

Inevitably an excellent filmmaker or in Joel and Ethan's case, filmmakers will make a bad film. Joel and Ethan have enjoyed so much success and have made so many great films that they would be allowed a poor film. 'Burn After Reading' shook my faith in the Coen Brothers whom I greatly admire. It isn't just bad it's jaw droopingly awful. It's 'I want my rental fee back' bad. It's maybe I forget 'Big Lebowski' or 'O, Brother Where Art Thou?' and skip your next comedy bad. Skip this film at all costs. Forget the name Coen is on the box, because the Joel and Ethan Coen I've seen must have shut themselves off when they made this piece of work.

What could be unfunny? Everything. I laughed maybe once in the film and it was more of a "Really?" laugh (I think you'll infer that the scene was where George Clooney's Harry showcases his "chair") I didn't necessarily find it all that funny but it was a curve ball laugh. The Coen Brothers have always had droll humor. I've greatly enjoyed their earlier comedic efforts. Here it is just sad to watch. It gets to a point where the film seems downright pretentious. That's a low that the Coens never reached before. Their films have always been very smart but they included the audience in it. I just couldn't go with them with 'Burn After Reading'. I knew all the punchlines the Coens were setting up and where the laugh track might sound but none of these scenes were very funny. Joel and Ethan are brave enough to set up a scene where the 'punchline' is Brad Pitt getting shot in the head. It isn't funny. There are two instances of quirky humor being supplied with violence. I laughed at this in their 'Ladykillers' (which many did not like but I really enjoyed), but here it just seems grim and depressing. Everything in the film is far too tongue in cheek but when you have people getting killed and a serious tone it doesn't work.

The biggest problem with the film is it's characters. I don't think the Coens have been given a better cast to work with in terms of talent. None of the characters are allowed to be given life because there is no detail to them. We get very broad ideas about them but nothing to engage us. The character who suffers the most from this is George Clooney's Harry. I think he had the most potential but he is really given an inadequate amount of screen time. He is obviously a sex addict but we don't know why or how he got these insecurities about having relationships. Clooney is eccentric sure but it would have gotten more response from the audience if we knew why. Frances McDormand's performance is the best in the film and it is so despite the script. She is obviously aging and insecure but the Coen Brothers don't really tell you this in their script. McDormand has to bring it out in the subtle of her performance. All the Coens give us is that she is single and concerned about her looks. What McDormand does is carry this character on her own in a decent performance.

Much is made about everyone being unlikeable in the film. The fact is I couldn't care one way or the other if the characters are unlikeable, in fact I'd prefer that they weren't. The problem is these characters have no real personality. These very talented actors are playing for emotion and mood. I can't describe the performances. They are over the top in a surprisingly restrained way. I can very easily imagine the Coen's telling George Clooney and crew to "quirk it up". It seems like that. If the Coens had written better characters I have no doubt that this excellent cast would have organically gone and created the kind of characters the Coen's love. Joel and Ethan take a gamble and expect their great cast to save a garbage script, they don't collect.

I don't hate the Coen Brothers, on the contrary it is because of my great respect for them that I am so hard on this film. The last thing any filmmaker needs is blind praise. It seems like 'Burn After Reading' received a great deal of blind praise.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Here are some more:

Max Payne
    Babylon A.D.
    XXX: State of the Union
    2 Fast 2 Furious
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
    Resident Evil
    Jonah Hex
    The Wolfman
    Legion
    A Serious Man

8. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    This was the most interesting choice I came across because it's fallen through the pop culture cracks and into total obscurity... where it belongs.

In no particular order

- You don't mess with the Zohan
    - Little Nicky
    (I like Sandler well enough, but when he fails, he epic fails)
    - Anchorman
    - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
    - Transformers: Dark of the Moon
    - Epic Movie
    - Natural Born Killers
    - Austin Powers in: Goldmember
    - Titanic
    - Edward Scissorhands

9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
    Showgirls
    The Chronicles of Riddick
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Iron Man 2
    The Happening
    The Lady in the Water
    The Last Airbender
    Transformers

10. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I agree with Iron Man 2. People seem to make excuses for it but it showcases what happens when Downey Jr has no restrictions in his schtick. Also Sam Rockwell is as irritating and offensive to comic book fans as anything in Batman & Robin

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Iron Man 2 sucks because it is boring, and Mickey Rourke's hairstyle makes him look like Zippy the Pinhead.

12. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I agree that Iron Man 2 is pretty lousy, but Iron Man 3 makes Iron Man 2 look like Iron Man 1.

heels1785 likes this.
  13. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    The thing is 'Iron Man' is such a tough act to follow. It is a legitimately brilliant film

14. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    In no particular order.

1) Twilight Saga: Perfect in its horribleness.
    2) Plan 9 From Outer Space- I think it was shot in one take.
    3) Sharknado/Ghost Shark- Sharks can't live in tornadoes, period.
    4) DBZ: Evolution: It would take more than that to kill Grandpa Gohan 5) The Last Airbender
    6) 2012: Solar Flares don't cause Earthquakes, period. 7) Catwoman: I have never seen it, because I value my vision.
    8) Avatar: Awful movie, boring plot, and the deleted sex scene ugh.
    9) The Wish List: Being the worst David Sutcliffe movie is like...ughh.
    10) 300: I liked the this is sparta part.

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I like every movie I see.

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  16. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009

It's a living.

17. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    So Legolas Skywalker is your sock?

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Uhh I don't like every movie I see

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Two more to add to my list, just because they were on TV recently- Total Recall (new one) and Scarface.

20. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    tom

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I seriously hate to defend anything in that piece of garbage, but in the original canon Gohan was killed because a giant ape (Specifically, Goku) stepped on him, and Piccolo managed to off both Krillin and Master Roshi who by that point were significantly stronger than Gohan had ever been. It's... maybe the only thing the film got right.

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's one of those movies that's so common now. A relatively good-looking movie that did a lot with a limited effects budget, but has no other redeeming features. Like the Dredd movie.

If you want everyone to know a sci fi movie sucks, just say that it has "great visuals," known in the trade as Phantom Menace Syndrome.

Three quarters of the genre movies out this year had great visuals.

heels1785 likes this.
  23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm just going to stop there.

24. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Hahahahahaha!

25. Rogue501st

Rogue501st Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 9, 2010
    I can't list 10 because I tend to just forget the titles of movies that were terrible. [face_dunno] I agree with many of the movies posted so far. I guess I'd also say the Ace Ventura: Pet Detective movies. Jim Carrey just annoys me.