main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Your Unpopular Star Wars 7 Opinion

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CConn, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Star wars should be rated R in my opinion. Why isnt it? It has those all inappropriate kissing scenes with Han and Leia and in episode 2, with anakin and padme? Episode 2 and 5 are filled with innuendos, it's part of the love story. Why is it only rated PG?

2. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    I think they should skip forward thousands of years (or back, doesn't matter) and tell an original story. Wipe the slate clean like JJ did for Star Trek. No more "I have a bad feeling about this" reruns.

3. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Nah. I would feel too lonely that way, without the characters I am familiar with, or their kids, for a connection to them.

4. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I want the ST to have at least a reasonable amount of respect for the EU.

as in: go ahead and tell a good story, even if it requires significant retconning, but please for the love of god don't go out of your way to actively destroy continuity. No Han and Leia reminiscing about not having children, no having the suddenly female child of Luke Skywalker and someone that isn't Mara travel to Tatooine to dig Boba Fetts corpse out of the Sarlacc.

I'm fine with telling a good story as long as they don't go out of their way to upset people like me.

5. codex of tython

codex of tython Jedi Knight

Nov 4, 2012
    I want that SW is what it used to be, a mystical universe where everything is possible. [snip] that TCW [snip] and the 21th century movie bullcrap!!
    BUT the movies have to be much darker

Removed profanity. Sx3

6. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Darker? I want Lighter... Darker is what makes the current EU so bad.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  7. codex of tython

codex of tython Jedi Knight

Nov 4, 2012
    i'm not sure of that, SW has to be a more adult minded series.
    I remember going to the theater with my parents for episode II AOTC and I could not enter. I was not old enough

8. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Really? Huh.

Star Wars has always been action/adventure which means a maturity and level of darkness like PG or PG-13 at most. It has a tone similar to Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones, and so forth. While I do not mind occasional dark or deep moments (Empire Strikes Back) it should not be an angst ridden, bloody, death by editors universe like it has become in the EU.

9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    As far as the tone, I'm not too picky. I just want to make sure that certain levels of continuity Are met-things like designs, planets, and sound effects, etc. I think I would enjoy the tone set somewhere between what we got for the prequels and the original trilogy.

But in keeping with the topic of this thread...my unpopular idea would be to have the trilogies antagonist be the Yuuzhan Vong invasion...I think there's some good potential there to make it sort of a more expansive Story with some potential tragedies involving deaths of characters and whatnot. It's a different enough storyline, doesn't really involve Sith in any way, but is a storyline with a wide enough scope that it involves the Fate of the entire galaxy.

I know the EU is not being used at all but that was my idea....

10. Knight Fel

Knight Fel Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2012
    That actually gave me a great idea. If they decide to have the Imperial Remnant as the main threat the Imperial Knights would be a nice way for them to side-step the Sith since bringing them in would make Anakin's sacrifice and the prophecy of him as The Chosen One go from sketchy to straight up pointless. Some people don't want the Sith in the ST at all cuz of that but since it's Star Wars you know their going to have multiple lightsaber duels(typically means Sith vs Jedi) but if they decided to use the IK's they could fill the position the Sith usually do without contridicting what happened in ROTJ. Obviously this would have to be a darker version of the IK's then what we see in Legacy. If soon after the OT it could be started by one of Luke's failed students or a Hand/secret apprentice of the Emperor. I'm pretty sure they'll say screw the prophecy and have Sith in it but it'd be a good alternative.

Like the OP I actually would be open to a recast of the OT main characters in order to start the ST soon after ROTJ. J.J. Abrams Star Trek pulled it off not long ago and they had waaay more characters. You'd only need to recast the Big 3 and Lando really. Of coarse i'd be a little concerned we'd get a Hayden Christensen type cast since they'd have a smaller pool of actors to choose from (they'd have to resemble said character). With the success of the new Star Trek franchise and the fact that Disney would love to cash in on the Big 3's names I think there is a decent chance they do this.

11. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    The Imperial Knights? Damn that would be good wouldn't it... I mean they're not usually evil, but eh... I don't necessarily see that happening.

Mandalorian Jedi will not happen, its one of those ideas that leads to Mary Sues like mad. An individual mandalorian force user I could see but not an organized and trained group.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  12. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    This. I've mentioned my idea in other threads, but if the Sith are to return in any form, Anakin must be the one to destroy them. It is the only way.

13. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    The ewok village on Endor's forest moon becomes the new setting for the Galactic Senate. Wicket is Chancellor.

(OK, not really)

14. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    If the focus ends up being on Luke's kid, I want him to have a daughter. I'd love to see a female led SW movie.

15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    They can do BOTH. The possibilities are infinite.

You can do a KOTOR era film trilogy or miniseries or TV series. You can do a SW far future series or mini or film trilogy.

You can do one-offs of any era.

Really, you can do a whole lot of amazing stuff.

16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Which is exactly what I really like about the future of SW.
    The wild speculation is back! Now with an actual chance of becoming reality!

Blazer-Smith likes this.
  17. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I am sick of the "Galactic-Apocalypse Crisis of the Week" that is the later EU. But... that doesn't mean the stories have to be lighter. You can have mature, dark stories that are of more regular nature. I would be fine with that.

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Hellhammer
    Yep. Two weeks ago I never thought this would be the case at all. I always would say never say never with Lucas. But I was prepared that RotS would be the last new SW film I would ever see.

The last week has been amazing.

My only unpopular opinion is not so much unpopular as it is a nitpick: what took them so long? :p

Nah, can't complain. I tried.

19. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    My unpopular opinion is that the EU gets some confirming references (meaning little things like off-hand remarks by characters that let us know that various EU events still jive with the storyline of the movies).

20. vaderstoejam

vaderstoejam Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2012
    I want some sex in the new movie

21. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm sorry; I laughed.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  22. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Me too. Titanic was PG-13 after all, just like ROTS. Lets get those Jedis procreating, brah!

23. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Han Solo dead at the start of the film.
    Luke dead at the end of the first film.

24. PrimeCutPuddingCup

PrimeCutPuddingCup Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    I would welcome an ST that was much darker. Also, I don't know what others think about this but I think more Rogue Squadron would be awesome. Probably even more so than the new Jedi order.

Amphimachus likes this.
  25. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Kissing is not inappropriate because that's all that we can see. Innuendos are everywhere, even in Disney animated movies - but 5 year olds can't pick up on them. Even the kind of inapropro in Titanic only got PG-13, and Beowulf's, which was worse, IMO, only got PG. Same with The Man with One Red Shoe.
    "Some sensuality" really only gets up to a PG-13. Full-frontal nudity moves something to an R, usually.
    If you seriously think Star Wars should be R-rated instead of PG, you are either very very sensitive or don't know much film. ANH almost got a G, before Lucas added a shot of the Lars' remains to bump it up - he thought that teens would not go see G movies.