main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your writing resolutions for the new year - a fun thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kit', Dec 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Hmm. I'll bite.

1. I hope to start my Transformers/SW crossover soon.
    2. I vow to do better mush, and to expand my talents.
    3. I vow to offer better replies to people's posts.
    4. I vow never to start a fic unless I'm commited to finishing it.
    5. I vow to keep reading every fic I start, and to reply to posts promptly.
    6. I vow to do a melodrama starring Tenel Ka and Jacen with -Tenel-Ka-.

2. KirneySlane22

KirneySlane22 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2003
    1. I will stop lurking in fics that I read more than once.

2. I will finish my Myn/Kirney fic, after I figure out a real plot for it.

3. I will actually post a story here, instead of just at fanfiction.net.

4. I will try to be more social, which means that I will try to delurk more than once every six months.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Kirney

3. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    1) Finsh Lightswords of Fury

2) Try to get a co-writer for my rewrite of one of my stories and start posting that by summer.

3) Try to catch up with the many stories I have fallen so far behind on its not funny.

4. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Just a couple more...

I will get some work done on my original fiction, that historical novel that's been haunting me.

I will try to develop any original fiction ideas I have, and not stymie it with any objections.

I will make use of all my SW plot bunnies, but I will not let it interfere with my work for my last year of high school/first year of college.

5. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    Just one:

I will try to update my fanfic more than once every three weeks.

6. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    1) I will read more poems in the three forums.

2) I will read more Beyond the Saga stories.

3) I will research up any EU character I don't know about in someone's fan-fic.

4) I will try to include more dialogue and descriptions in my fan-fic.

7. Deneveon

Deneveon Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    1.) I will start replying to every fic I read, whether it's good or bad.

2.) I will actually finish the original novel I've been working on.

3.) I will dedicated at least an hour every day to writing anything at all.

8. AlphaTrion-TJW

AlphaTrion-TJW Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    1) To Get more than one or two paragraphs down in a 3 day span.

2) Start budgeting time more wisely to get more time for writing.

3) More family time.

4) Get all these project I'm doing through their 1st and second drafts/rewrites.

5) Quit stalling.

9. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001

1) I will finish up Clone Wars (can't say anymore I have writer's block). I will also finish writing The Sweetest Thing.

2) I will participate more in discussion threads on this board.

3) I will NOT slack off a whole day on my computer not writing anything simply because I'm on break from school.

~aeryn

10. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I've got three biggies:

1) I will not put off writing for an infinite amount of time, and as such I will not leave a story unposted for two and three months.
    2) I will make a concerted effort to go through each post and rewrite it more thoroughly before putting it up.
    3) I will do a vastly better job organising an awards show (if I get blackmailed into doing it again :p).

Finally, another more minor resolution - try and catch up on the fics that I've lost track of due to various circumstances, not the least of which is the aforesaid awards show. ;)

11. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    I've never been good at keeping resolutions, but what-the-hey, I'll give it a shot. :p

1. I will finish Sleight of Hand by the end of the summer.

2. I will take time to write on every day off and not get distracted by surfing the net when I could be writing.

3. I will leave FB on more stories and not lurk in them so much.

4. I will try to read more PT stories even though I prefer the OT, because I have the feeling I'm missing a lot of good writing!

12. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    My resolutions are to:

1) Finish writing Unrequited. This shouldn't be huge since it's 98% written already.

2) Dust off the Meant To Be prequel and if I don't finish it, at least begin posting it by July.

3) Stop forgetting about stories I'm reading.

13. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    I will keep all my promises about finishing stories and sticking to a posting schedule and writing sequels.

14. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Hmm, I will:

1. Write longer story posts darn it!
    2. Try to write about something other than Anakin/Obi-Wan/Padme stuff.
    3. Get a beta reader.
    4. Hang out here more often.
    5. Plan before I write.

15. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    I'll bite too. And anyone willing to nag me to make sure I follow through is encouraged.

1) I will write every day. (On my stories - not just babbling.)

2) I will finish the two stand-alone (more or less) stories that are in progress.

3) I will finish the planning for the huge morass of inter-related stories that is taking up gigantic chunks of my brain (and hard drive) and finish, through posting, at least one of those stories.

4) I will participate in all the challenges I run into. Especially those that make me stretch.

5) I will work on my original fiction at least as much as my fanfics.

6) I will read more and keep up better and reply to each story (although, probably not every time because after all, folks want to read the story - not me babbling). This will be easier when 2 and 3 are done.

7) I will NOT leave finished stories to age for over a year before getting my beta to read them. A month maybe, but not a year.

8) I will begin posting stories within a year of starting them, no matter what. Unless my beta says its highest hope is to be compost.

9) I will force myself out of my comfort zone in some direction with every story I write.

10) I will finish my EP3 fic before EP3 comes out.

11) I will not allow computer problems to get in my way. If necessary, I will actually spend money to prevent that from happening. I will get organized so that I don't find myself unable to find the work I just did the other day.

I shouldn't have put those all out in public. My record with New Year's Resolutions is abysmal. This is probably the first year in a decade that I have even made any. You guys are a bad influence. Realistically speaking, I might be able to manage most of the even numbered ones. Kinda like Star Trek movies...

I think my first one is my most important one. At least it has the most easily identified metric. 'Course it is also the one that it will be hardest to keep.

KD

16. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    I will finish The Killer of Ghosts and complete part 4 of the Doona Double Duology before posting any of it. :)

17. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    1. I will finish my original novel.

2. I will finish without posting my political intrigue/romance L/M, and then post it.

3. I will not get distracted from the above.

:p

18. JediSenoj451

JediSenoj451 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2001
    1. I will post my first Star Wars fan fics this month, not next month or the year after that! :p

2. Stop lurking and start posting more reviews.

3. Finish at least two original stories I have ideas for.

4. Start and finish the third Star Wars fanfic I have planned in order to kill the plot bunny that is dancing in my head.

~*Senoj*~

19. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    My resolutions for writing this new year:

1. Write every day, and if Star Wars plots
    come up, I will write them despite my spouse's wierd looks. :)
    2. Keep working on travel writing.
    3. Have fun!

20. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    1) I WILL finish my 2 stories on here.

2) I will NOT start any stories. If I have an idea and time prevails, I shall write them down first. Then, once the story is finished, THEN I'll post it here.

3) I will not let above 2 stories go without posts for 2 months... Again.

4) I will try to read more.

5) If it comes down to homework or fan fiction, I will chose homework. *BIG SIGH*

21. Lady_Moonbeam

Lady_Moonbeam Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    1. I will finish writing/posting my current on-going story before starting to post another one.

2. I will try to find more time to read fan fic--this is something I've been sadly lacking lately.

3. I will broaden my horizons. (I have no precise idea what this means, but I suppose I can hammer it out later.)

22. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Happy New Year everyone! :)

1. I will finally post one of my sequels.

2. I will respond to my readers so that they know how much I appreciate them.

3. I will not whine and complain when I get new plot bunnies because there are people out there who would love to take them off my hands.

4. I will lurk less and comment more.

5. I will finish a non-fan fic this year.

23. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    I WILL get over writers' block and write something worthwhile! I hope.

24. Xaara

Xaara Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2002
    - I will post thoughtful comments on all of the threads I've been reading but have never managed to reply to.

- I will frequent boards other than the three (Classic, Beyond the Saga, and Writers' Resource) I already check regularly.

- I will write more. I will write more anything, not just fan fiction. However, I will also try to get posts up more often than every *winces* month or so.

- I will not be distracted by loud and hyperactive younger siblings.

- I will be honored and not annoyed when said younger siblings insist upon using my computer to read what I have written.

- I will help out with something. An awards process, a challenge, an index, a newsletter...something. For cryin' out loud, I've been around long enough. :)

- I will beta-read more. And when I beta-read, I will be more prompt about returning the finished article. Perhaps I will try to beta-read a WIP (which has proved on various occasions to be a lot of fun.)

- I will write more character sketches and viggies because I like them, but I will concentrate also on finishing my full-length WS fic because it has been in progress for a ridiculously long time.

Good luck everyone, because I know that I'm not going to be able to keep all of these resolutions. But darn it, I'm sure going to try. ;)

Happy New Year!

25. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    I will...

-try to finally finish Juliene. I've been writing that thing since 2002, and gosh, I've already started writing sequels! :eek: Done, I say!

-write my plot bunnies down so I don't forget them

-lurk much, much less

-reply to ALL the stories that I've read. I've realized that it's only fair to give feedback when I also receive it

-stop writing stories that don't seem to work, and don't post them in the first place

-help out with something- anything- so I can be a help to the fanfic community

-give more hugs ;)

-and finally, remember that writing shouldn't be a stressful experience. If I can't think of anything, I won't worry until something horrid comes out. I'll take my time. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.