main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Youre a much wiser man than I am", Obi also says this to Anakin...why?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MasterLuke-83, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    :confused: Eh?

3. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    ^^^

. . . by Anakin, that is! :-B

4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Brilliant observation Massster Obi-Chron.
    Anakin's well-wishing actually served as an OT narrative, from a certain point of view.

Truly wonderful, the mind of a fanboy is...

5. Aiwendil42

Aiwendil42 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 16, 2008
    I don't think that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were just humoring their respective apprentices. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that they were right.

I think Obi-Wan does actually have a decent claim to being wiser than Qui-Gon, though it's certainly a debatable point. Qui-Gon was a little bit of a wild card in the eyes of the Jedi and did sometimes do apparently foolish things (like entrusting their fate to a boy they hardly knew or, more significantly, insisting that Anakin be trained). Now, you might argue that in the end those apparently foolish decisions turned out not to be so foolish at all. Nonetheless, Qui-Gon seems to have recognized this tendency in himself - so perhaps he thought that Obi-Wan was wiser in the conventional sense.

About Obi-Wan's statement to Anakin - he does not actually say that Anakin is wiser than he. He says that Anakin is "strong and wise" and "a far greater Jedi than I could ever hope to be". Of course he is fully aware of Anakin's penchant for rash decisions - but I think we may tend to underestimate Anakin's wisdom. Anakin was no fool. But in any case, I don't think that Obi-Wan meant that he was less wise than Anakin. His statement is that Anakin is "greater". "Great" can mean a lot of things.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Uh, no. That quote wasn't from ROTS. Or in other words:

7. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I think Massster Chron was piecing it together, Fenn.
    That Anakin uttered the phrase first, only in ROTS.

At least thats what I gathered from it.
    But I'm SGT Shultz here, "I know nothing!"
    :p

8. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    ^^^

. . . nor, apparently, do I!

9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Obi-Wan says it because, to a very good extent, it's true. Anakin had progressed very much over the course of the war, and always went above and beyond the call of duty.

The fact that he turned to the dark side wasn't because of a lack of wisdom, rather it was the manifestation of what Yoda spoke about in Episode 1 about fear leading to the dark side. Darth Maul said that "fear is my ally" simply because it can be so pervasive, and in this case Anakin simply wasn't prepared to deal with it.

10. LemmingLord

LemmingLord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    I believe master's say things to students to teach them and encourage them. While I believe Obi Wan did see that Anakin had potential at being wise - given his self control did improve so much between II and III - I think he told Anakin this to encourage Anakin to live up to the faith he was showing in him.

I don't believe Anakin was all that wise. Maybe the least wise of all star wars characters. :)

11. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    [Edit: If it is "Nuff Said", there is no need to say it. LL]

12. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Or the most blind.

13. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    Well people say a lot of silly things when they are drunk. :p

14. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Soooo.... Kenobi was 'loaded' for his 'wild-bantha chase'?
    Now, it's all starting to make sense.
    :p

15. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    Indeed.

He knew it was going to be a WILD Bantha Chase, and Kenobi wanted to chase that Bantha with Jedi Master Belushi instead of Wise Anakin.

[image=http://img.myyearbook.com/zenhex/images/quiz4/17543/res1.jpg]

16. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I always used to scoff at this line, Obi Wan really doesn't give himself enough credit.

Now I understand that it was him encouraging Anakin to keep up the good work. Before the clone wars, Anakin would apologize for lashing out at the masters and embarassing Obi Wan, but it's because he would be required to do so. In ROTS, he actually means his apology and is actually dissapointed at himself for letting the council get to him. It's not him apologizing to his Master anymore, it's him apologizing to a friend. He knows what he did was wrong and uncalled for, and he was finally mature enough to realize that.

In AOTC, he'd probably just say "THEY'RE HOLDING ME BACK!" and smash a thing or two.

17. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Too bad Anakin wasn't mature enough to resist the Dark Side.

18. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I think Obi-Wan does actually have a decent claim to being wiser than Qui-Gon, though it's certainly a debatable point. Qui-Gon was a little bit of a wild card in the eyes of the Jedi and did sometimes do apparently foolish things (like entrusting their fate to a boy they hardly knew or, more significantly, insisting that Anakin be trained). Now, you might argue that in the end those apparently foolish decisions turned out not to be so foolish at all. Nonetheless, Qui-Gon seems to have recognized this tendency in himself - so perhaps he thought that Obi-Wan was wiser in the conventional sense.

I don't exactly agree with assessment. Being cautious doesn't always mean being wise. Nor do I believe that recruiting Anakin into the Jedi Order was a foolish thing on Qui-Gon's part. The Jedi were already in a decline when Anakin joined the Order. If Qui-Gon actually believed that Obi-Wan was wiser (something I have yet to see any proof of), then he was either too modest or really not that wise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.