You're the Sith Lord...

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by sushimilk, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    The question posed by the thread author is whether Anakin wold have struck Palpatine had the Sith revelation come at that moment. Given they were whispering and no one could hear, who would have believed Anakin? He would have been killed most likely for attacking the beloved leader.
  2. Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    At the time heck no way!!!!!
  3. Palps Force Ghost

star 1

Another reason why Anakin joined Palpatine... Fear.
  4. Palps Force Ghost

star 1

Oh yes. Anakin (and/or Pre-suit Vader) could have destroyed Palpatine.
  5. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    There was no way the Jedi could win. Palpatine was beloved and he had worked hard to paint the Jedi in a bad light, distrusting. Any action aginst Palpatine was a no-win.
  6. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You are right on, Sapient.

BUT, that being said...

How cool would it have been to see Anakin squaring off against Sidious?
  7. mjerome3 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The Jedi would have been despised and rejected within the entire Republic had Anakin struck Palpatine down if word got out. But Mace Windu would have covered it up in order to protect the Jedi.
  8. TheDarkSideAreThey Jedi Knight

star 1
    Right, saying that Sidious destroyed the Chancellor and Anakin took him out.
  9. Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I have to ask why the Jedi would be despised, being that they would find out that the Chancellor was the Lord of the Sith or
    The Palps would not get due process!
  10. sithcult_109 Jedi Knight

star 1
    The way i see it is that yes, Anakin would've attempted to kill Palpatine, but Palpatine being Palpatine, wouldn't stand for this. As Anakin would be about to slice his head off, Palpatine would've easily blocked the attack and they would've engaged in a lightsaber duel. Anakin would then realise how strong the dark side is and what it has to offer. Palpatine (maybe) would've disarmed and cornered Anakin leaving him no other choice
  11. Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    talk about the fight of the century!!!!!
  12. JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling

star 6
    No doubt...I would want to see a fight between them...
  13. GrievousKiller Jedi Knight

star 3
    wow thats a nice topic
    Yeah i think anakin woulda struck sidious down, but palps knows wut hes doin so i think he anticipated it
  14. Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I know it is off the subject, but how about when Luke having to fight clone Vader and clone himself. That would be a hell of a fight!!!!
  15. TheLightSide Jedi Knight

star 2
    So Yoda tells Anakin to let go of all attachments [to Padme, although he does not know it is to her]. Palpatine days later tells Anakin that he can help him save his attachment to Padme.

Which way do you think Anakin is going to go? What about any of us?

"Let go of your attachment". Great advice.

Anakin had a wife and as far as he knows, a kid on the way.

When Mace presses the issue on the balcony, he pushes Anakin into a corner. If Palps dies, then so does his wife and kid. He's going to go with Palp.

The death of Palps means what to Anakin? The death of his wife and child.

So the Republic is saved if Palps is killed. Who cares by this time? It is a corrupt, war-like, clone-using mess. Why should Anakin care about that?

Later, when Luke says that he cannot kill his own father; Obi-Wan still doesn't get it. I know that Yoda and Ben are good people, but the old Jedi Order are clueless when it comes to the "attachment" thing.
  16. darthvaderv Jedi Master

star 4
    "You're the sith lord".

Well I just wanted to comment that when I saw the title of this thread I thought that you were talking about Anakin's really bad and dumb dialogue in this scene.
  17. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    [face_laugh]

Not half as bad as the dialogue between Anakin and Mace!

"He's been trained to use the Darkside..." <--Really? A Sith Lord knows the darkside?

Must take a rocket scientist to figure that out...
    :oops:

Vader versus Sidious = [face_love]
  18. TheDarkSideAreThey Jedi Knight

star 1
    You've hit the nail right on the head. The Jedi way was archaic and didn't change with the times. Yoda, in the novelization, realized this during the battle with Sidious. When Anakin states in Ep. II that Jedi are encouraged to love, that was just his take and it's obvious the Jedi Council didn't feel that way.

Luke's view of the Force in the EU ended up being the best way, since he had to make it up on the fly, he had to use his experiences to guide his way. The Force isn't inherently good nor evil, people only alternate between the two. That would mean the use of the Force isn't inherently good nor evil (Force Lightning isn't so bad if you're using it to jump-start a speeder).

The way of the Jedi had too many restrictions, not attachments, no emotion including love. What kind of life is that? All that power, but restricted. That's why Yoda, all 700 years of him, couldn't best Sidious, nearly 10 times his junior.

The Solo children in the EU reached levels of the Force that were unprecedented in the movies. I found this hard to believe given how incredibly young they were, but not impossible. I could easily see Yoda reaching that level of Force attunement, had he not been so myopic in his views. Qui Gon had to come back from the "netherworld of the Force" to tell Yoda that only through love could he become more attuned in the Force. If only he gave Anakin that same advice.
  19. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Sweet point!

Funny thing is, it took Yoda another 19 years to figure it all out...
  20. Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    ahh yes the solo children....unbelieveable power!!!! anddtaught by their uncle!!!
  21. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9

Attachment is bad. That is Lucas' theme for Star Wars. Jedi can love, but they cannot become emotionally attached to the point where they will put their feelings ahead of others. Anakin's turn to the Dark Side is built on the fact that he cannot accept that people will die, if nature says that they will. He's so determined to hold on to his ideal life, that he sells his soul to the devil. It's easy to say that you could do that for others, but putting it into practice is different. Anakin's betraying everything that he has ever stood for. Betraying his mother's memory. Dishonoring and disrespecting his wife. Look at what his attachment got him.

Luke's issue when it comes to his father is that he's so attached to his father, that he's not willing to sacrifice him for the greater good. Even when his father comes back from the Dark Side, he wants to stop him from dying. The same as he didn't like that Yoda was dying. But both men tell Luke that death comes for everyone.

Anakin's selfishness damned him and the galaxy for 24 years. That is what attachment does. Compassionate love is what Luke had, which is what saved his father and himself.

Why? He's just realizing that Palpatine is Sidious. He's shocked. He just found out that the man he has looked up to, is the enemy.

The Jedi always encouraged love. They did discourage attachment to people and marriage. The attachments are still forbidden. What's different is that Luke and Leia were allowed to be raised by their families.

Funny, I guess that's why Luke abandoned the Potentum and went back to the old school teachings, after seeing his father throttle his mother. Or the fact that Luke lost so many Jedi to the Dark Side, because they all had attachments. Gantoris was lost because of his attachment to his people. Kyp Durron turned because of his attachment to his family. Qui-gon almost turned
  22. Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    so we wait and see what happens then. But is it Luke's fault for the loss of those Jedi? No I do not think so. A person makes his or her own choce!
  23. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    It is Luke's fault for not taking firmer hand with his Jedi. For blindly accepting that none of his students would fall or that he can always bring them back. And if he does, that they need to be a Jedi without being punished.

Given that one hundred years from the end of "Legacy Of The Force", the Sith are back, there's a new Empire and Cade Skywalker wants nothing more to do with the Jedi or the family legacy, I'd say it's a safe bet Luke's actions haven't had that positive an effect.
  24. Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    thank you for bringing light to my incorrect notes!!!!!!
  25. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not belittling you. I'm just pointing out what was mentioned in "I,Jedi", "The Hand Of Thrawn Duology" "The Dark Nest Trilogy" and what's coming up in "Legacy Of The Force" and "Legacy".
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.