main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Bringing this over from the Rebels thread to prevent derailment.

Qui-Gon Jinn was considered a grey Jedi by some of the Council. It wasn't about being outside the Order, because the idea was that the Jedi perception of the Order was pretty inclusive except in cases where someone had actively renounced being a Jedi. (See: Lost Twenty)

It was, like, "Well they're not strictly Catholic, but they're still in communion".

I won't deny that this idea was ultimately discouraged, but it was hardly nonsensical.

The TERMINOLOGY was nonsensical, of course. Whoever decided on "Grey Jedi" should be firmly scolded. It encouraged the "light-and-dark" stuff that wormed its way into EU canon.

"Jedi Bendu" would have been far superior. :p

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I also thought of "fully trained Jedi" as being a more inclusive term. They were fully trained and ordained, with all the power of the Jedi and following the light...but they're lost to the Council.

Ulicus likes this.
  3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

You know....We need a thread for Single Star Wars fans out their to mix and mingle. Or a Star Wars centric dating site. Just image you can make your turn on and offs based on Star Wars stuff :p

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    This is the second time by my counting that you've randomly brought up the idea of a Star Wars dating site / a dedicated thread for singles and tried to steer the conversation in the direction of SW turn ons and turn offs.

Now, I'm not going to tell you stop doing that but . . .

. . . actually, I am going to tell you to stop doing that.

Stop doing that.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, since we're going there -- I would think, then, that the Imperial Knights are rather like the Orthodox Church. They consider themselves catholic, but they're not Roman Catholic.

And don't get me started on Bendu, although that (funny enough) is more appropriately a topic for the Rebels thread.

Ulicus and BobaMatt like this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I just discovered that all 65 episodes of the 1994-1998 animated Spider-Man series are available on iTunes. Finally a way to watch the whole series! One of the best superhero cartoons ever, and definitely the best Spider-Man cartoon series ever.

Force Smuggler, Gamiel and Gorefiend like this.
  7. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Spectacular Spider-Man disagrees with you.

Mia Mesharad and Dante1120 like this.
  8. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I've watched the first few episodes, it does have a firefly vibe to it. I like that it takes place in our own solar system with Ceres and Mars having been colonized by people. Main characters all seem interesting, looking forward to where the story goes.

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Man, what a turnoff.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Were was that stated? I know fans like to call him a grey Jedi but I did not know it was something that had been mentioned in canon.

It's sad that we have not seen any more of the alternative 'verses from the last season :(

Ghost likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  12. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Wow, I had a good day in Force Arena. For my first ever Legendary trade, I got a second Luke card, so I upgraded him. And for my second Legendary trade -- Thrawn [face_dancing] I only wish I was as skilled as I was lucky... sorry, 2 vs. 2 partners [face_worried]

I also completed the current special mission and used its Legendary card selector reward to get Emperor Palpatine. I was torn between him and Bossk, but that chained Force lightning skill won me over.

What have you been reading lately, Lit? I just finished Unwind, a YA dystopian fiction novel by Neal Shusterman. I put Amazon's book description under the spoiler below, for those interested. I'm considering either a speculative fiction novel or a political thriller for my next read.

In America after the Second Civil War, the Pro-Choice and Pro-Life armies came to an agreement: The Bill of Life states that human life may not be touched from the moment of conception until a child reaches the age of thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, a parent may choose to retroactively get rid of a child through a process called "unwinding." Unwinding ensures that the child's life doesn’t “technically” end by transplanting all the organs in the child's body to various recipients. Now a common and accepted practice in society, troublesome or unwanted teens are able to easily be unwound.

With breathtaking suspense, this book follows three teens who all become runaway Unwinds: Connor, a rebel whose parents have ordered his unwinding; Risa, a ward of the state who is to be unwound due to cost-cutting; and Lev, his parents’ tenth child whose unwinding has been planned since birth as a religious tithing. As their paths intersect and lives hang in the balance, Shusterman examines complex moral issues that will keep readers turning the pages until the very end.

13. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm currently reading The Republic of Pirates. It is good, and about pirates. Previously I finished The Norman Conquest. It was about the Norman Conquest. Before that was a book on the evolution of Founding-era American political theory. Before that, a book on the Italian Renaissance that wasn't much good. The last fiction I read was a big book of classic pulp adventure stories. It was called The Big Book of Adventure Stories. Before that, a biography of Henry Clay. And that takes me back through November.

Senpezeco likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I got Thrawn early, which made me happy. He's been my exclusive Imperial character. I used the selector to get Sabine. I've had terrible luck on trades for legendaries and uniques since then, but I *finally* got Evaan yesterday, and I got Vader this morning, so now I can pair him with Aphra.

I think I'd still rather use Thrawn than Vader, so I'm unlikely to get to use Aphra much. But Leia/Evaan are definitely my new main Rebel team.

Now I just need to track down Pryce and Thrawn will be set....

Senpezeco likes this.
  15. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm liking Force Arena more as I've advanced and things have gotten harder. The 2 vs 2 matches add a really enjoyable level of strategy that was lacking from the battles at first.

16. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Been reading the newest Weber books- latest Honorverse book, quite dissapointing, and latest Safehold book, felt slightly rushed at the end but also a natural progression of the previous books, rather than just dragging things out like the Honorverse book one did.

Also reading the newest RCN book by David Drake.

17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am right now reading Varney the Vampire, one of the earliest vampire fiction stories

jSarek likes this.
  19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    How is it?

20. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Finally decided to see what the hype was about, and started playing the first Mass Effect. I'm digging it.

Kylun, Dante1120, Ghost and 4 others like this.
  21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I so love this

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Rather good. A bit too melodramatic and down putting toward the lower classes at many times but the narrator voice is usually quite funny and there are some b-characters and dialogs that are just hilarious.

23. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Interestingly, I just learned about the New England Vampire Panic for the first time today, which....man.

Gamiel and Vthuil like this.
  24. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm now picturing a movie where Ernest is a vampire.

Kylun likes this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have to say that Varney the Vampire is a much better read then other goth classic The Castle of Otranto, but then again there is around 80 years difference between them. (I have to admit that I am "reading" it as a talking book and did the same with The Castle of Otranto kudos to LibriVox)

Also, allow me to quote the book's preface
    did you notice the "A belief in the existence of Vampyres first took its rise in Norway and Sweden, from whence it rapidly spread to more southern regions, taking a firm hold of the imaginations of the more credulous portion of mankind" part? That is something completly new to me and I do wonder where the author got that information from or if he just made it up.

Senpezeco and starfish like this.