main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'll say this, regardless of whether you disagreed with his policies, I still believe that George W. Bush was a good & decent man. Watching him up on the podium genuinely enjoy interacting with the Clintons and Obamas reminds me of the best parts of our democracy. Peaceful transition, but also personal respect.

Alas, we've lost that with our current president, but we shall overcome.

--Adm. Nick

2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I feel this poem is appropriate

MercenaryAce and Gamiel like this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  4. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    And the sad part is, Jocasta should be able to look up that information if she has any decent wireless access. :oops:

(Yes, I'm a hopeless sci-fi and comics :-B- and proud of it! :D[face_party][face_flag])

vncredleader and Kylun like this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But is wireless access to your brain a good idea?

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Jen, I am disappoint. Biggs is one of that small subset of Star Wars characters who actually DO have their names said in the movies proper.

vncredleader likes this.
  7. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    For organics, no; depending on how many rights we want to grant AI ... ? It's a thornier question when you're dealing with cybernetic life-forms, IMHO.

In Jocasta's case, it gets more difficult (and weirder) when we remember that her base programming comes from a mental imprint of Janet Van Dyne, AKA the original Wasp (which Ultron took from Janet without permission [face_plain]).

AFA droid rights in SW ... I think they often deserve more respect than they get, but all it takes is looking at BT-1 and 0-0-0 to make me wary of droid emancipation. :p

8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

How is this?

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Probably this:

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobby...g-group-trump-in-violation-of-lease-agreement

10. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I believe this is referencing Trump not divesting himself of his business interests before taking office, which this piece (just one example, I grabbed it off the top of my Google search results) argues violates the emoluments clause of the Constitution.
    I don't have anything to add for or against what's presented, as I have no idea whether it's a solid or flimsy argument. Me no law good. The link above isn't the first or only time Trump and the emoluments clause have been scrutinized in the media though; I've been seeing pieces here and there for at least a month now.

Fake edit: NINJA BEN

vncredleader and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Okay. Well, I won't pretend to be a law expert but that specifically said give gifts. A business venture would be different because foreign leaders wouldn't be giving him anything as a gift, but as a business exchange. Which is completely different. At least that's the way it looks to me, but again, I'm not a legal expert by any means.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Boiled down to the key important point, it's this:

The rules do not apply to Trump.

That's the attitude, that's who you've got for your new President.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Just got back from the Women's March. The scale of the crowd was insane -- I haven't seen anything like this since the 2009 inauguration. It took us an hour past the scheduled start time to even get moving, and it took 2 hours of steady marching to go from the National Mall to the White House -- that's how many people there were. We had to split into multiple routes, and my route wasn't even the busiest -- but it was the one that let us march through the middle of the Mall and down Pennsylvania Avenue towards the WH, passing the Trump Hotel in the process.

The atmosphere was positive, united, welcoming, and upbeat. This is the America I know -- not the one we saw yesterday.

14. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

I'd agree that a peaceful march is in line with what is acceptable. Yesterday's violence, riots, and overall nastiness were completely disheartening. I get not wanting Trump as President, I get not liking the man, but what I saw yesterday was unacceptable no matter what your beliefs.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The DC police chief said that the violence was isolated and that it was a known group that agitates like that, and the vast majority of protestors yesterday were peaceful and orderly.

16. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, that's good, at least. To me, I just think this situation–as unfortunate as it most definitely is–has been badly exacerbated by people on both sides, and it's really frustrating. This isn't what we're supposed to be about.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    What's important -- and I hope to see it -- is for people to condemn bad actors on their own side, and say they're not representative of what they stand for.

Of course, that is a little harder when one of the bad actors on your side is President of the United States.

18. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Eh.
    Basically, you can't, say, exchange governmental perks for business approvals in a foreign country, which is the concern.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    hmmm if only someone who posted here was a constitutional law expert....

20. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    That's great you were there in DC Jello. The pictures and video of the womens march are amazing. I'm glad so many people showed up both in DC and at all the other marches around the world.

21. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    The most stirring picture from the march for me:
    [​IMG]
    (Source)

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was at the Women's March in Charlotte yesterday, with mranakinfan and our youngest. Our oldest got back from a camping trip today; I showed him the pictures and video that I shot and had his brother repeat some of the things he heard. The first two things he repeated was "Love trumps hate" and "Women's rights are human rights." I wore a Leia shirt and carried a sign that said "Women and cats will do as they please."

The energy was positive and uplifting, both among the marchers and among the bystanders and police officers who directed our route. I was a bit cranky when I started due to having to hurry in the morning but by the time we started marching, I had a smile on my face that did not disappear for hours. We were not initially given a permit to march in the street, we were supposed to stick to the sidewalk, but after 15-20K people showed up when they only expected 5,000, the police told us we were good to march on the street, and they redirected our route a bit.

My sister-in-law was in DC and said there was not even room to breathe there. And it should be noted that half a million people were there and not one single arrest.

The rioters who were breaking **** do not represent anyone but themselves, no matter what they claim.

Senpezeco, Dante1120, Gamiel and 3 others like this.
  24. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Yeah, I saw in the news today that there were no arrests, great example of what a peaceful march looks like and what kind of positive and powerful effect they can have.

I wasn't able to make it to the rallies here in Maine, but I hear both Augusta and Portland had ten thousand or more turnout.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Considering you have more lobsters than people in Maine, that's impressive. :p

Jedi Ben and starfish like this.