Youthful Mistakes

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by KnightMara, Aug 5, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jee-dai Jedi Knight

star 3
    You know what the problem with your posts are?

I have nothing constructive to say about them at all!! They're too good and right on the mark for every single character.

2. KnightMara Jedi Master

star 4
    Whoohoo! No school due to flooding. And you know what that means? I'm not going anywhere, so there's plenty of time to work on that next post!

Expect one by the end of the day (hopefully)!
  3. Vergere Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i want rain i want rain! not fair! :)

so, more?
  4. Darth_ChibiChibi Jedi Knight

Finally found this thread! Boy... you miss a lot when your compy crashes and you can't check any fanfics for a few days!! Pain...

:D :D This keeps getting better and better, KnightMara!! Can't wait to see more!

And I'd be rejoicing too if school was cancelled due to rain! But noooooooooo, not like that'll ever happen here in Texas... well... unless there's a hurricane near the coast or something. ;)
  5. Vergere Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    oh cool texas. im in crappy ohio...in the cloudiest corner in the entire US--no kidding.
  6. KnightMara Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't know, Vergere. Down here in Florida, we had you beat yesterday. 18 inches of rain and lots of flash floods.

My school flooded, and the area around it did too. But the school board, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to reopen tomorrow. I can't wait to see what I walk into. :[

Anyway, I'll be posting what I've worked on today shortly.
  7. Vergere Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    well my school just finished building on new sections, and it rained and there was not a really protective roof and my mother lost about 30 year old teaching posters...irreplacable books, French art...and wasn't reimburced for it. ugh.

that wasn't meant to scare you...i hope your stuff is alright!
  8. KnightMara Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for the encouraging story, Vergere. :)

Okay, here's my rainy day post (it's another long one):

Slowly, Luke descended the short flight of steps from his room and crossed the courtyard into the main living area. He was not overly thrilled about having to face his uncle about what had happened, but he wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible. He knew that after being lectured by Kenobi and then witnessing how his uncle had treated the hermit, he wasn't up to an emotional ribbing. Poking his head inside, he noticed that his aunt and uncle weren't anywhere to be seen. Figuring that his uncle might still he at the table, he headed toward the dining room. As he approached, the voices of his aunt and uncle drifted toward him, although he couldn't really piece together what they were saying.

"It was as though he was reading my mind," his aunt was saying. "You don't think that it's . . ."

"Beru," Owen interrupted. "Kenobi won't be coming back here. And without him, I seriously doubt . . ."

At that moment, his uncle seemed to notice Luke's appearance in the dining room, and their conversation stopped. Luke was a bit confused, as it appeared they were talking about Kenobi again, and he still felt bad about how the old man had been treated on their farm. He said nothing, however, as he entered the dining room and faced his guardians.

"Have a seat, Luke," his uncle said tonelessly, gesturing toward the chair that Luke normally occupied at mealtimes.

Luke complied without a word, yet he refused to lower his gaze away from Owen. If anything, he wanted to prove to his uncle that he was mature enough to take what punishment was coming to him, even if he didn't agree with his uncle's behavior earlier. Owen had always been a strong proponent of eye contact as a means of showing attentiveness and respect, and Luke wanted to do right by his upbringing as well. Steeling himself for what was to come, he prepared to face his uncle like a man, hoping that he would be able to maintain his composure.

"First things first, Luke," Owen began, taking a seat across from his nephew. "I want you to tell me everything that happened since yesterday."

Luke sighed, but did not look away. "I convinced Windy to take his dewback out for a ride. We ended up out in the Wastes when she threw us into a canyon and took off with all our stuff. We were banged up, lost, and trying to make it out of the canyon so that we could get home when Ben arrived."

"You said something about womp rats?" Beru prompted.

Luke glanced over at her quickly, and nodded. Returning his gaze to his uncle, he amended, "Uh, yeah. There were a few of 'em in the canyon, and I kept throwing rocks at them to scare 'em away. But right around the time Ben arrived, there was a pack of them headed toward us." He paused, grimacing. "I'm not really sure what happened because I kinda' fainted." He lowered his gaze briefly in embarrassment, then continued. "But then Ben arrived and led us home."

"And what did he say to you?" Owen asked sternly.

Luke brought his eyes back up to meet his uncle's, not sure why that information was terribly important. "Nothing really. Windy kept asking him questions about living in the desert, which he told us a lot about. He also sort of lectured us about fighting. Well, me mostly."

"You got in a fight?"

Luke swallowed hard at his uncle's question. Why hadn't he kept his mouth shut? "Yeah," he answered softly. "Kind of."

Owen's face was hard. "Either you did or you didn't."

Luke shifted in his seat, uncomfortable with the idea of having to go through this yet again. "Windy said some stuff while we were in the canyon, and I got mad."

"So you punched him?" Beru asked in disbelief.
    The tone of her voice caused Luke to flinch. His emotional control was swiftly crumbling under the assault of both guardians, and he drew a deep breath to hold onto it. He hadn't thought he'd be facing another interrogation when he'd walked in. "Look, it was no big deal. And
  9. Herman Snerd Force Ghost

star 6
    Glad to see you've made constructive use of your rainy day.

Wow, I can't believe Owen slapped Luke like that. Luke sure pushed him over the edge.

Unfortunately for Owen and Beru, denying Luke's request for info about his parents so openly is only going to fuel Luke's desire to know more.
  10. KnightMara Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay, one more post before I go to bed and my rainy day off officially comes to an end (since I don't know when I'm going to have the time and energy to post again):

Even though it was the middle of the night, Luke could not sleep. He assumed it was because he'd slept most of the day away, but he had to be up at dawn to work on the vaporators. He knew he was going to be tired and cranky in the morning if he didn't fall asleep soon, but that didn't seem to make his body want to obey his will. So, glumly he lay in his bed, staring at the ceiling and hoping fervently that he didn't fall asleep an hour before he had to get up. That was always the worst.

He flopped over in bed and tried to steer his mind away from thoughts of the evening's conversation. It did nothing but make him anxious to think about it, which would only make falling asleep more difficult. It took him a few moments to realize that he was biting his lip nervously, and he rolled over once more, trying to get comfortable and to ease himself out of the anxiety he couldn't banish. Shutting his eyes and curling himself up under his blankets, he again tried to make his mind a blank. Maybe if he erased all thoughts, including thoughts about trying to get some sleep, he'd be able to achieve what he so desperately sought. Focusing on his breathing, he started to relax.

Suddenly, his eyes flew open. Something was terribly wrong. He bolted up in bed and searched the room for the source of the inexplicable fear that was now coursing through his young body. He listened to the sound of his own rapid breathing as he sat in the darkness, unable to gather an answer from the silence around him. Biting his lip once more, he also tried to figure out why this felt so strangely familiar. Reacting to a gut instinct borne from an earlier memory, he jumped out of bed and raced down the stairs. Plodding across the courtyard in utter darkness, he quickly headed toward the front door. The power was down for the night, so he slipped his hand into the manual access panel, and silently opened the door. Shivering in the cool night air, he hugged his arms across his bare chest and peered into the vast desert landscape. He heard before he saw what he desperately hoped he had not come out here to find.

Out of the darkness came the unearthly wail of an approaching Bantha.

Luke spun around swiftly and darted back inside, stumbling on the front steps in his haste. A stab of pain shot up his leg as his ankle rolled awkwardly to one side, but he quickly righted himself and hurried to his aunt and uncle's bedroom. He proceeded to pound on the door.

"Uncle Owen!" he cried. "Uncle Owen, wake up!"

It seemed like an eternity of pounding on the door before it finally slid open and his uncle's irritated face appeared.

Owen growled sleepily, "Luke, what in blazes?"

"Sandpeople," the boy gasped.

All traces of sleep quickly vanished from his uncle's face. "How many?"

Luke shook his head, "I don't know."

With a nod, Owen placed his hand on Luke's shoulder. "All right. Come with me."

"Owen, what is it?" Beru called from behind them as she emerged from the room.

"Stay there, Beru," Owen commanded as he ushered Luke to one of the storage closets his aunt and uncle always kept locked. "And toss me the manual key," he added, realizing that with the power off, he'd be unable to disengage the lock without it.

Luke's aunt quickly complied, while Luke stood just behind his uncle's shoulder, heart pounding in his chest and his mouth terribly dry. The boy who craved adventure and excitement was suddenly getting more than he could handle as he watched his uncle unlock the door and pull out two blaster rifles and two charger packs. Swiftly charging both weapons, he handed one to Luke.

"Now, remember what I taught you," he told his nephew.

"Oh, sweet stars," Beru gasped.

Owen turned to her. "Beru, just get back in that room and stay there."

Luke watched wordlessly as his aunt retreated to the bedroom, the weight of
  11. Herman Snerd Force Ghost

star 6
    Hmmm. The trip with Windy and the meeting with Kenobi seems to have awakened Luke's Force abilities. Well, his danger sense anyway.

Now, as dangerous as Luke is to himself and those around him, isn't Owen being a tad foolish giving him a gun? ;)
  12. Jee-dai Jedi Knight

star 3
    Nothing like a life and death battle to bring two men closer together, eh?

:)
  13. Jane Jinn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Excellent writing! I can really see that Owen and Beru are doing the best they can, struggling with issues that affect themselves as they try not to let them affect Luke. And I can see the way that Luke is maturing, slowly but surely, letting some emotions get the better of him, but being the master over others. Keep up the great work!
  14. Vergere Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    yessssssssssssss! TWO posts! god bless those rainy days!

that was great! i like how Owen allows luke to arms himself...its like a right of passage. and of course i think owen was very very out of place when he slapped Luke...it was uncalled for...talk about controlling your anger...

and did you realize that you left us off with a HUGE cliffhanger?!
  15. RebelMom Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ONe advantage of not being on the boards alot due to Real Life is that when I do get to read I get to read alot! You have been busy. I don't have any new comments to add to all the previous ones and just want to say that your characterizations continue to be excellent and I am enjoying the story.
    I never have to ask for rain up here. It comes all year round.
  16. KnightMara Jedi Master

star 4
    Hehehe, I did kind of leave you guys in the lurch there, didn't I?

Anyhow, for those who aren't reading my other story, I just explained on that thread how I'm trying to get more posted this weekend, but that I've been struggling with the after-effects of all the rain (which is still coming down) here in South Florida. So here's hopin'. :)
  17. Tenel'Ka Jedi Knight

star 3
    I would LOVE for it to rain here! It's been below freezing for the past week, but should warm up LOTS this weekend. :D It's even snowed here! though it didn't stay. Typical crazy Alberta weather. :p
    MORE!!!!!!!!
  18. Herman Snerd Force Ghost

star 6
    Cripes, there's a chance of snow here tomorrow. It's not supposed to snow in Illinois in early October.

All you people in Canada need to quit sending your cold air down here.

Florida people however are encouraged to send some warmth my way.
  19. Vergere Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    hehe i live in Ohio...same forcast. blah...we didn't even get a summer, and now we're skipping fall!
  20. KnightMara Jedi Master

star 4
    Herman, I'll send you some warm weather, but don't complain when the 100% humidity comes with it. I swear, you can actually feel the air you're walking through down here. It's oppressive.
  21. Herman Snerd Force Ghost

star 6
    No no no.

Keep the humidity, just send the warm air.

P.S. Hope you don't mind we've turned your story into a rehash of the Weather Channel. :)
  22. KnightMara Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, we all need something to talk about while I scour my brain for more story to write. :)
  23. Darth_ChibiChibi Jedi Knight

Hehehe... I live in Texas. Texas = bad. :) The year here is 3/4 hot, unholy weather spawned from some demented plan the Devil Himself conjured up, and 1/4 freeze-yer-tuchus-off and play with the icicles on the tip of your nose weather!

I want to move. Now. Please. For the love of God, please. ^_~ Maybe I should work on being less dramatic...
  24. Vergere Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    maybe you'll get an idea and add some interesting weather(i don't know, sandstorms?) to the story next ;)

i like cold better, so HS shut your mouth and quit asking for warmth! :p i just want a little sun...there's none here. its been storming for 2 days
  25. Herman Snerd Force Ghost

star 6
    Vergere, I despise being cold.

In fact, I plan on doing lots of bad stuff so I'll be nice and toasty in the afterlife. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.