main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Youthful Mistakes

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by KnightMara, Aug 5, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Wheee.

I'm happy. Don't know why, just thought I would share my happiness sence I have some.

2. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    ok wedge...im guessing you are happy because you were able to get on the forums?

more.

3. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    No, just happy for no reason...

Well, I'm not happy now.... 3 big quizes today. :(

4. Datree

Datree Jedi Youngling

Aug 22, 2000
    UP!!! Obi-Wan, GO Save Luke!!!!!

5. KnightMara

KnightMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 1999
    Okay, I finally had time to get back to this story, and here is the next post (I literally just finished writing it, but I didn't want to keep you folks waiting any longer). It hasn't been as carefully revised as the earlier posts, so feel free to critique it as much as you want.

It wasn?t long before Luke snapped awake in sudden alarm. The sun had set, and darkness now engulfed the canyon. Darting his eyes about to get his bearings and locate Windy, Luke frantically searched his mind for the cause of his unexplained fear. Had he heard something in his sleep? Had he been having a nightmare? As his gaze fell upon Windy, seated just a few yards away and calmly staring up at the stars, Luke began to feel ridiculous. The canyon was quiet, and Windy didn?t seem the least bit concerned about anything. So what had frightened him?

Pushing himself up from the ground, he tried not to appear anxious as he moved quietly to Windy?s side. "How?s it going, Windy?" he whispered.

"Not bad," was the reply. Windy turned to study Luke with a puzzled expression. "You ready to take the next shift or something?"

Luke nodded. "Yeah, I?ll take over."

"You sure?" Windy?s voice seemed odd in the darkness. Almost fearful. Or was it just Luke?s imagination?

"Yeah, I?m sure," he answered, laying a reassuring hand on Windy?s shoulder. He was dismayed when the other boy flinched at the touch. He tried to get a good look at Windy?s face, but it was hard to make out in the darkness. "You okay?"

Windy rose and crossed over to the spot where Luke had been asleep just a few moments earlier. Without turning to face him, he answered, "Yeah, I?m okay. Just tired." He plopped down on the ground and mumbled, "Have a good watch, Skywalker." And that was that.

Luke was startled by the abruptness of the entire exchange. Staring at the spot where his companion had stretched out on the ground, he sat and wondered at the boy?s strange behavior. Something he?d done had somehow scared Windy, but he wasn?t sure what or how. Luke wasn?t exactly used to being feared. Most commonly, he was the one being bullied, usually because he was so different from the others at Anchorhead. The only people he could truly relate to were Biggs and Tank. They were the only boys beside himself who even considered the possibility of an exciting existence somewhere else, away from the dullness of Tatooine. But even they were people Luke tended to look up to. It was never the other way around. And being feared actually scared him.

"Windy?" He hoped the other boy hadn?t fallen asleep yet.

The reply was a muffled, "Hmm?"

Luke breathed a sigh of relief. He needed to mend the situation, and quickly. Something was nagging the back of his mind, but he couldn?t put his finger on it. Something that seemed almost like it was trying to warn him of some impending danger. Remembering the last time he?d felt such a sensation, he refused to ignore it. And if what he felt was right, the last thing he wanted was a companion who was uncomfortable in his presence.

Taking a deep breath, he plowed ahead. "Windy, I?m sorry for decking you back there. I don?t know what came over me, or why I did what I did. It was wrong of me to react that way. And you definitely did not deserve it." He paused, waiting for a reply from the other boy. He heard shuffling and was able to make out the dim form of Windy sitting up in the darkness to stare back at him.

"What about all that stuff you said?" the boy finally spoke after a time.

Luke stared back at him, thoroughly puzzled. He didn?t remember saying anything at all. Then again, if not for the blackening circle under Windy?s eye, he wouldn?t have known he?d punched him either. "Windy, I don?t even remember what I said to you, but whatever it was, I didn?t really mean it." What exactly had he said? Was that what had scared Windy so much?

Windy remained silent for a long moment. Luke began to wonder if he was ever going to speak up. Then finally, "Yeah, I guess it

6. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Whoa. I know who it is!

Do I get a cookie?

Err... That was nice for not being proofed alot. A little slow near the beginning but I still read it and got through it.

7. Vergere

Jul 19, 2000
    yeah that was good. he CHOAKED him too?! geez...

i know who it is too!!!!!!!!!!!

you should have had a krayt dragon show up... :)

8. Princess Sari

Princess Sari Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2000
    Ooh! Ooh! ::raises hand really high and jumps up and down:: I know who it is too! I know who it is too!

That was wonderful! Proofed or not! I loved it. And having the both of 'em faint was hilarious!

Sari

9. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    Ohhhh Knight Mara, that was good, Your unproofed stuff is better than my proffed.. .
    maybe that's why your the english teacher and I'm the lowly junior. . .

ohh the making them both faint sets it up nicely for Luke to think that Ben was all a dream until he shows up again in ANH. . . ahhhh sounds like something I'd do at IMF. . .

10. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Show no mercy? Well, I didn't see anything wrong but I want to know what Luke said when he punched Windy. Will Windy ever tell? I like the fainting part. That was in A New Hope novelization too. Fits Luke's character just fine for the age you are portraying him.

I don't think your students will mind if you delay their next homework assignment to finish this story. Try it.

11. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    "you should have had a krayt dragon show up... :)"

"An ear-splitting roar shook the canyon and caused Luke to freeze instantaneously. . . Windy succumbed to his fear and dropped to the ground in a dead faint."

For all Windy and Luke know, there is a krayt dragon there. ;)

12. Vergere

Jul 19, 2000
    no i think that was *insert obvious name here*! he did the same thing in ANH to scare off the sandpeople.

13. KnightMara

Apr 13, 1999
    Hey, you guys are in luck. I was supposed to drive to Orlando this weekend; but since it appears I've come down with the usual back-to-school cold, I'm staying home to rest instead. Which means, I'll be able to work on the story today.

Expect another post by tomorrow (I'm definitely going to proofread this one a couple of times before posting).

14. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Great new post! I like the way that Luke is actually scared of being feared. I guess most of us would feel the same way. And the way he tries to placate Windy. But most of all, I loved the part where he wishes he would faint from fear too, and then he hears the voice in his ear, and actually does! Great idea!

Now is he going to wake up and actually meet the grizzled old desert rat, or is he going to wake up in a safe place and wonder how he got there?

More soon, please!

15. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Vergere you missunderstood what I said. I said:

"For all Windy and Luke know, there is a krayt dragon there."

For all the KNOW, there IS one there. I got the idea that Windy fainted because of the fear of being there with a Krayt dragon..... or I'm dead wrong, but my point still stands, for all they know, the roar was a dragon.

16. Princess Sari

Princess Sari Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2000
    I agree Wedge... They think there is one, because they don't know any different. I doubt they would've fainted if they'd know it was only *him*. ::grin::

I guess all colds aren't that bad afterall! I've got one too, though how I got a cold when it's 105 degrees outside I have no idea! :[face_sigh]: When will the heat go away?!?!

Sari

17. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Same here, I have the sniffles. My nose won't stop running and my throat is dry and hurting. And its over 100 here too. I don't know if its alergies or what but it seems to be going away now...

Anyway, I look forward to more of the story.

18. Jedi Master Mara Jade

Jedi Master Mara Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    It's over 100 here, too. I am very glad that my school has air conditioning! At least it's not quite as humid as it was yesterday, though. Thank the Force.

Wonderful post, KnightMara. The way the womp rats were scratching at the walls...::shudder:: You sure know how to scare the smeg out of your readers (and characters [face_rofl]. Can't wait for this promised post!

19. Vergere

Jul 19, 2000
    geez its only 90 here, i thought that that was bad!

ok wedge, i get it now!

well i guess im happy that you're sick in a selfish kind of way, Knightmara! :)

20. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Well KnightMara, add one more name to your list of satisfied readers.

After reading about Luke's first day of school, I had to come check this one out. Took me a while to get caught up, but at least I made it before this story ended.

21. KnightMara

Apr 13, 1999
    Welcome, Herman. And I'm glad you're likin' it.

Jane, you're just going to have to wait and find out.

Sari and Wedge, feel better guys! Lots of rest seems to be helping on my end.

JMMJ, didn't mean to scare ya'! But I'm glad my unproofed post had its desired effect.

Everyone, I'm still working on the next one, so bear with me. It's almost done. I'll proof it tomorrow and then post it.

Wow, this is getting to be difficult. This is the first story I've actually written on-line in installments like this. Now I know how Dickens felt while writing David Copperfeild! I only wish I could be as good at it as he was! Oh well, I can dream now! Can't I?

22. Darth_ChibiChibi

Darth_ChibiChibi Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2000
    I shall lurk no more! Heh heh! I love this story, KnightMara! Heck... I've loved ALL your stories! I'll be keeping my eye on this, and any other stories you post, that's for sure! ^_^

23. KnightMara

Apr 13, 1999
    Okay, here's the next part. Feedback, as always, is strongly desired! Especially since I've never tried to write this particular character before.

Luke struggled back to consciousness in a disoriented haze. Fighting the nightmarish fear that seemed to grip him even in his semi-awakened state, he bolted into a sitting position before his eyes had had a chance to adjust to the darkness around him. The gentle grip on his left arm had barely registered in his awareness when, all of a sudden, his voice began to work once more and the scream that had been caught in his throat before his fainting spell emerged as a full-throated yell.

His own cry was echoed by Windy's as the other boy also returned to consciousness, terrified and bewildered in the darkened canyon.

"Easy, there," an unfamiliar, gentle voice spoke. "You've nothing more to fear, young ones."

Luke blinked his eyes and turned toward the voice. As his vision adjusted, he was able to discern the face of a gray-bearded man with bright eyes and a soft smile. Dressed in desert robes of dull brown, he knelt beside the two boys who stared mutely back at him.

Luke could not shake the feeling that he'd seen this stranger before. That they were somehow connected in some odd manner that he was at a loss to explain. A million questions raced through his mind as he gazed upon the man's features, but his lips seemed unable to form the words.

It was Windy who spoke first. "The womp rats?" he asked breathlessly.

The old man's gaze left Luke as he regarded the other boy. "They're gone, young man." His slightly accented voice was soothing, although Luke still felt ill at ease.

Windy however, seemed very relieved. "Whew, I thought we were goners."

With a quick smile and a gentle laugh, the man replied, "Well, I can assure you both that you are very much alive."

Luke, still speechless, studied the man while his attention was on Windy. His face was wrinkled with age and exposure to the harsh climate, and, although they seemed full of an energy and power Luke could not begin to fathom, his eyes were sad. As those eyes turned once again to gaze upon Luke, the boy could not help but feel that they were somehow gazing into the very core of his being. He shivered, wishing he could pull some sort of cloak around himself to shield him from the penetrating force of the old man's stare. Luke's mind suddenly jumped to his brief flash of anger with Windy, and he felt strangely as though the old man had exposed his shameful transgression. Awash with guilt, Luke pulled his eyes downward to stare at the ground. He couldn't stand the gaze any longer.

"So tell me, Young Luke," the old man's voice broke into his thoughts, "what brings you and your companion to this canyon in the middle of the night?"

Shocked, Luke felt his power of speech return. "H-how did you know my name?"

The old man smiled. "I know a lot of things about you, Luke Skywalker."

Before Luke could scramble together some form of response, Windy chirped up.

"You're Crazy Ben Kenobi, aren't you?"

At his presumptuous question, the old man chuckled softly. "Indeed, I am, son," he replied, mirthfully. "And who might you be?"

Luke watched as Windy brushed sand out of his dark curls and smirked. "Don't you know my name, too?"

"I'm afraid this planet is a little too big for me to know everybody," Kenobi answered with a shake of his head.

Windy snorted. "Yeah, but you know Wormie, here."

At Kenobi's questioning gaze, Luke quickly replied, "That's Windy. We rode his dewback out into the Wastes, and it dumped us in here and took off."

"Your lousy idea!" Windy snapped.

"Shut up!"

"Easy now, boys," soothed Kenobi, laying a hand on each of the boys' shoulders. "What's done is done. Arguing about it can't help you. Now let us simply concern ourselves with getting you home before your families take you for dead."

"We tried to find our way out of the canyon," Luke tried to explain, "but it goes on and on forever. And Windy hurt

24. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Heh heh.

Wizard of the Wastes indeed.

I think Old Ben needs to warn Luke about acting out in anger. Those Skywalkers are notoriously unstable.

25. Vergere

Jul 19, 2000
    oh that was really good. bens really hinting at lukes future there-a lot more scars, a great destiny...

more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.