main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ysanne Isard

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by gaiatha, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DestinyFroste

DestinyFroste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]I got my fabric at $5/yard at Hancock. What material are you looking at?

These hair extensions are going to be difficult to find for me...I found 18 inch pieces, but it ends up still 6-8 inches shorter than my own hair. You think it would look funny if the white were that much shorter?[/color]

2. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004

See if the hairdresser can feather them to make them blend a bit better..

3. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    I'm looking at wool gabardine. It's $9/yard on the internet. Any other substitutions I can make?

4. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Polyester gabardene. Maybe linen?

5. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I've got a poly gabardene fabric (may be a blend) that I picked up at JoAnn's, and used a coupon, so it was only about four bucks a yard.

6. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    Katie, when I went to JoAnn's, they were like, "What's gabardine?" I wanted to scream. Maybe I'll go to the bigger JoAnn's in Nyack, they seem to have everything. I should have gone today, but my boyfriend and I were so exhausted from two very long days of work and other obligations. Maybe we can go during the week if we're both not tired. There's a fabric outlet that might have it too, they had my velvet for my Naboo Battle, and no one else did. Paid an arm and a leg for it, but I wanted it done.

I'm hoping my landlord has a sewing machine, because if she does, I'll get it done before CIII. Maybe not the contacts, but I'll at least have the suit done.

7. DestinyFroste

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]I ended up getting a poly/rayon blend. Really nice fabric, and it washed very well.

I ordered the lenses the other night, but the next day I got this:

"Your doctor?s office has informed us that your prescription is not valid
    for the lenses you have ordered (Blood Red & Acuvue 2 Colours Opaques).

However, your doctor also informed us that you are prescribed to wear
    Acuvue Advance. For your convenience we have cancelled your original
    order and replaced it with a new order containing Acuvue Advance. This
    order will ship to you in 3 business days. The savings of $27.00 will be
    refunded to your credit card."

GRRRRR...I was out all day friday, so I did not get it in time to contact my doctor, so I have to do that tomorrow.

I have today through tuesday off of work so I am sewing like a mad woman. I have Isard all cut out (except for the front panel which I am doing last) and I am going to start pinning it together tonight.[/color]

8. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    Marie -

I know EXACTLY what you mean. It's pretty much futile to ask anyone at any JoAnn's near me anything about fabric or products they sell (or should sell). JoAnn's is the only thing near me, aside from Wal-Mart. So I really do feel your pain.

Good luck fabric hunting this week!

And I did make an appointment to get my eyes measured for contacts - I know they won't be the same as before the surgery. I probably won't purchase the ones for this costume anytime soon, but at least I'll have my measurements.

9. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    Seriously, I went to RAG & to JoAnn's, and they looked at me like I had sixteen heads and a baby octopus in my hands. Wal-Mart knew what I was talking about, but they didn't have it. But, I'm going to see if I can get to JoAnn's in Nyack. They're huge and they usually have everything, and a really good person for fabric questions. There is an AC Moore around here too, I wonder if they sell fabric too.

As for the contacts, I won't have them by CIII, I can tell you that. They're pretty pricey, so I'm going to hold off on my contacts until I can actually afford to pay for them. I'm doing a Scout armor upgrade, and I need that for CIII, so I had to cross the contacts off of my list. I might actually do the hair anyway (bleach the front) instead of buying the wig too. Either way, this will be done before CIII.

*I'm determined*

10. veritasuk

Sep 8, 2004
    Just make sure the hairdresser knows what they are doing, dont want you to end up like me.

11. DestinyFroste

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]Hair dressers are evil...I gave up on them, I am a do it yourself girl when it comes to my hair. I got especially sick of going to get my hair trimmed and saying '1-2 inches' and walking away 5-6 inches shorter. I figure I will experiment and play with the extensions a lot before I actually wear them to the Con...heck, maybe I will even wear them to work one day :D

"Hi, welcome to California Pizza Kitchen. My name is Ysanne, and I will be your server today. Can I start you off with an order of brainwashing or maybe a glass of krytos?"[/color]

12. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    LOL...

I can agree with you on the hair dresser thing, I found an awesome one, but he is in the town where I used to go to school, so I can't do that anymore :(

As for the ladies at JoAnnes, I used to work there, and I may not have been that knoledgable about everything, but I made sure I knew who in the store was. Those employee's should know what is in their department and the general properties of the fabric. I would think that would be a prerequisite for working in a place like that. *Yells at imaginary Joann team member in frustration*

*sigh*

Hope you find what you're looking for.

13. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    I'm so frustrated with Joanne's. I called the one in Nyack, and they don't have what I need, and they had me on hold and bounced me around because NO ONE knew what it was. GRRR.

Katie, I think I'll need your assistance for this!

14. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    LOL...okay, just let me know!

Yep, what I really love about JoAnn's is when you special order fabric. You drive an hour to pick up said fabric. Spend twenty minutes waiting at the counter because no one can figure out what your'e talking about (even when you have the order slip and there aren't too many places to hide the fabric in such a small store). Ten minutes after that they find your fabric, but it's in several pieces instead of the single large piece you ordered. :eek:

Two weeks later, I got my fabric. *shakes head*

I know not everyone at JoAnn's is clueless, well, at least not everyone at every JoAnn's everywhere. I just don't have good luck asking questions there!

15. DestinyFroste

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]Just an update. I have been sewing non-stop for the past three days, and this is some of what I have to show for it:

Iceheart Update

I finally heard back from the eye doctor as well. Tomorrow I have to call them with a fax number so they can fax a waver for me to sign before the approve lenses that are not on my perscription. So tomorrow evening I should finally be ordering the lenses, YAY! I am having trouble finding the hair now though. Only one Sally's out here sells human hair :([/color]

16. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    DestinyFroste, I'm still laughing over your post before your last post. The idea alone... LOL

Looks like it's all coming together. Good work :D

I don't know what you guys are used to, but here it's like that in every shop. Even if they know what you are talking about, you still disturb them. :p

17. DestinyFroste

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]HEHEHE...I definatly have to wear the hair...and maybe even the contacts. Speaking of which, try explaining to your eye doctor why you want a red lense for ONLY your left eye.

It is a toss up at the fabric stores out here. When I went to get fabric for my Jedi cloak I ended up in a ten minute conversation with the woman at the cutting counter about sewing. There is this terrific fabric warehouse on the south side of Chicago though, they do not label anything, so the people HAVE to be knowledgable (did I spell that right? It's late here). I have to go back there in the next week or so and just get lost, it is HUDGE. You could waste a day on each level and still miss something.[/color]

18. veritasuk

Sep 8, 2004
    @ destiny.

What colour is your hair? I managed to get mine from black to white but you do have to use a strong peroxide and keep it on for ages to get white rather than yellow. Wish I had kept doing it myself then I would still have 'Isard hair' and not have to have extentions.

19. DestinyFroste

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]My hair is one of the darkest shades of brown out there. Everyone always calls it black but then I hold my hair up against something black to prove its not. I have never seen a natural black though (there are always some tint) so I figure the color works.

No way on the bleach for me though. For one, I am eventually going to donate a large chunk of my hair to Locks of Love and you cannot donate color treated hair. Aside from that, my hair is the one thing I border vainity on, I never use any styling products, blow dryers or anything (well...VERY RARELY hair spray, not even once a year).

***EDIT***
    A good shot of length and color from DragonCon 2003[/color]

20. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    You have BEAUTIFUL hair :) Giving it away will be a really big adjustment.

Mine used to be like that. Then I went to donate blood and they wouldn't let me. (apparently if you were born overseas in the 80's they assume you have mad cow disease). So I got mad and had locks of love take my hair. Had to give something :D

21. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    Everytime I've gone to JoAnn's, it's been like I've interrupted their day by asking a question. When I was looking for gold tissue lame for my Naboo outfit, they were like, "What do you need THAT for?" If I wanted an interrogation, I would have gone to my mother about tissue lame.

Oh, Katie, I forgot to tell you that my eyes are green, they're not a dark dark green, but a medium green.

22. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    JoAnn employees are actually encouraged to ask shoppers about their projects. Of course they need to do it tactfully.

But there are a lot of rude workers. Especially if you go into one of the larger stores.

23. DestinyFroste

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]Thanks for the compliments guys. Sometimes its really a pain to have all that hair, then again, when I get sick of it I can just braid it and wrap it around my head (ala princess Leia) and forget it even exists.

I am going to start a re-do of Isard already. I had read somewhere that the waist seam in the pattern was actually acurate for the Imp uniform, but even if it is, I decided Isard would be vain enough to want it all smooth and one piece, so I am remaking the tunic without the waist seam. Once that is done, it should only be a couple days to finish Isard.

I recieved the belt in the mail yesterday, so now I just have to find some leather dye and that will be good to go. I have black boots (as seen in the picture) but I really want to order the Imperial style ones, I just do not know if that is do-able before CIII.[/color]

24. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    If they were actually nice about it, I wouldn't mind telling them.

I have to make a trip to Sally sometime before CIII. I've got some things to pick up.

25. veritasuk

Sep 8, 2004
    At the moment I feel like shoving the lot in a proton trp. tube and blasting it all into space. I havent even started with my 'real' fabric yet, still on mock up. Will it go right ? Will it buggery. The sleeves twist, it bags where it shouldnt. AHHHHHHHH. *throws toys out pram*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.