main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Yub Yub, Fruit Loop - for the Humor Me quote challenge - Wes Janson one-shot

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediMara77, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Title: Yub Yub, Fruit Loop
    Author: JediMara77
    Character: Wes Janson
    Genre: Humor, introspection

For the Humor Me quote challenge:

My quote:

12. I am a fruit loop in a world of cheerios. - unknown

-----------------

I am a fruit loop in a world full of cheerios.

Luke Skywalker was my first CO to say that to me.

Us Rogues were hanging out in the mess on Hoth, enjoying one of our rare moments of downtime on the ice planet. Well, trying to enjoy our downtime was more like it. Everyone had something to complain about?the cold, the tauntauns, how long it was taking the speeders to get working, the cold, the lack of booze, the lack of good food, the cold, the lack of women, the cold.

I couldn?t take it anymore, so I jumped on top of the table and mooned everyone.

People threw things at me; some of the women even ran out of the room in horror.

Commander Skywalker shook his head and declared, ?Wes Janson, you?re a fruit loop in a world full of cheerios.?

I didn?t even know what that meant at the time. Later on I found out that fruit loops and cheerios are popular breakfast cereals on Tatooine. But I didn?t care. I gladly took on the mantle of Fruit Loop and continued on my quest to spread mirth and merriment throughout the Rebel Alliance.

Wedge Antilles was the second CO to say it to me.

It may be an understatement to say that I grew fond of the Ewoks during my short time on Endor after we won that battle. How could you not? They?re such fluffy little creatures and all they want is give you a hug and love you?when they?re not pointing spears at you, that is. I developed a fondness for those cute little teddy bears, and while dancing in a circle with a dozen of ?em during the victory celebration, Commander Antilles shook his head and declared, ?Janson, you really are a fruit loop.?

I smiled at him and cheered, ?Yub Yub, Commander!?

Inyri Forge was the first woman to say it to me.

I had finally convinced her to go out on a date with me. I don?t know why she finally accepted, but she did. So I decided to woo her with a fancy evening out on Coruscant during our leave. She looked beautiful and I could hardly contain myself.

I don?t know how, but I convinced her to come back to my apartment for caf. One thing led to another and we ended up in the bedroom. She screamed when I turned on the light and for a brief moment, I thought she realized that she had been kissing me and not her childhood crush, Face Loran. But then I saw her gaping at the stuffed Lieutenant Kettch doll on my bed. She looked at me, dumbfounded, and said, ?Sithspit, Wes, you kriffing fruit loop!?

I shrugged sheepishly, and ended up making breakfast for her the next morning anyway.

Anakin Solo was the first kid to say it to me.

During one of my stints as a flight instructor on Coruscant, I?d been teaching his sister some flying techniques, not that Jaina needed it?even at 16 the girl could fly circles around me. Before one lesson, I placed the infamous Lieutenant Kettch in her cockpit, and after she screamed and threw the stuffed doll at her brother, who had accompanied her on this lesson, Anakin shook his head and muttered ?fruit loop? under his breath. I saluted at him and offered a hearty ?Yub Yub!?

Now that little boy is dead, taken away by the Yuuzhan Vong, and many people are saying that we might not win this war. I want to jump on a table and moon all of them and scream ?Yub Yub!?

The shrinks and more conservative commanding officers have always told me that my humor is an avoidance technique, and I need to learn to deal with my grief without resulting to jokes.

They?re all full of poodoo. I know how to deal with grief. I?ve deal with grief all my life. I deal with it by myself, alone, and then I go back out into the galaxy armed with Lieutenant Kettch and the title of Fruit Loop, ready to vap

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Thank you for giving a sympathetic and different spin on the irrepressible Wes. =D= =D=

Wonderful use of your quote, and a great rationale for the jokes. [face_thinking]

I did love Fruit Loops as a kid LOL

Hugs!!!!

Jade

3. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Awww...JM that was kinda cute.

Ok more than kinda.

Adorable! And I loved how you brought Inyri into it. She was always one of my favorites!

Thank you for bringing some insight in that fruit loop head of Wes. I always did have a tinsy crush on that man...[face_whistling]

Great job!

4. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Kudos to you for turning a story about Froot Loops into an affecting meditation on grief.

I did not expect to find myself typing that sentence today.

Anyway, great job, and congratulations on being the first to finish the challenge! :)

5. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    In a galaxy where little boys die far too young, it?s the least I can do.

Awww. That was wonderful and very poignant.

=D=

6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I was laughing the entire way until the Anakin part, then my jaw dropped.

Wow. Just wow.

=D=

7. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    Well, trying to enjoy our downtime was more like it. Everyone had something to complain about?the cold, the tauntauns, how long it was taking the speeders to get working, the cold, the lack of booze, the lack of good food, the cold, the lack of women, the cold.

I wonder if this incident was before or after Wedge tried to kill everyone with his Taun Taun stew ...

People threw things at me; some of the women even ran out of the room in horror.

Oh Wes. The psychological trauma you've caused. :D

They?re such fluffy little creatures and all they want is give you a hug and love you?when they?re not pointing spears at you, that is.

Ewoks, Wes Janson's long lost family.

Inyri Forge was the first woman to say it to me.

I had finally convinced her to go out on a date with me. I don?t know why she finally accepted, but she did. So I decided to woo her with a fancy evening out on Coruscant during our leave. She looked beautiful and I could hardly contain myself.

YOU!

YOU WROTE INYRI/WES!

YOU ARE AMAZING!

Eeeee Inyri/Wes! [face_love]

I don?t know how, but I convinced her to come back to my apartment for caf. One thing led to another and we ended up in the bedroom.

There is another fic here. I am willing to do whatever it takes to see that you write it :D

They?re all full of poodoo. I know how to deal with grief. I?ve deal with grief all my life. I deal with it by myself, alone, and then I go back out into the galaxy armed with Lieutenant Kettch and the title of Fruit Loop, ready to vape unhappiness and depression wherever it lies in wait.

Dammit, Wes. I'm getting all misty eyed here.

Beautiful fic, Nanci. It's so very Wes, from the well known humorous exterior to the serious, insightful man that's buried within him.

You've got a tremendous talent with these pilots. I'd sure love to see more pilot fic from you :D

8. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    They?re all full of poodoo. I know how to deal with grief. I?ve dealt with grief all my life. I deal with it by myself, alone, and then I go back out into the galaxy armed with Lieutenant Kettch and the title of Fruit Loop, ready to vape unhappiness and depression wherever it lies in wait.

Actually, I guess that's a pretty healthy way to do it, although sometimes it also helps to lean on someone else.

Anyway, this was well done and a mighty good explanation for Wes Janson's behavior. Yub,yub!

9. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I couldn?t take it anymore, so I jumped on top of the table and mooned everyone.

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh] I can't help it...I swear I'm trying not to think of a hairy butt...I just can't help it. [face_laugh]

The shrinks and more conservative commanding officers have always told me that my humor is an avoidance technique, and I need to learn to deal with my grief without resulting to jokes.

They?re all full of poodoo.

My thoughs exactly. ;)

I liked this little piece. Now if I could only get the image of Wes mooning people out of my head...[face_laugh]

10. EbonyRadford

EbonyRadford Jedi Padawan

Jul 10, 2010
    That was just adorable. Gotta love Wes. =D=

11. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    [face_laugh] =D= [face_laugh] =D= [face_laugh]
    I know how to deal with grief. I?ve deal with grief all my life. I deal with it by myself, alone, and then I go back out into the galaxy armed with Lieutenant Kettch and the title of Fruit Loop, ready to vape unhappiness and depression wherever it lies in wait.

You rule, Wes!

12. pinkpearl89

pinkpearl89 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 9, 2010
    I loved this =D=

I thought it was hilarious, until you started talking about Anakin, which was really sad. But that part was great because it was really able to evoke some emotions in the reader.

Great job! I had so much fun reading it :)

13. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Read this at work earlier, and I was struck by how Wes's tone changes to the point where, at the end, he's fighting for the kids who die young... too young, who never get to act like Fruit Loops. That Anakin would have that kind of an impact on someone... wow.

Well done and good story. :)

14. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Oh, Wes...

I think the entire series would have been so much better if Wes would have done some mooning and said "Yub yub" once in awhile.

Just try to be unhappy after saying yub yub.

Great fun and I loved the ending. We all need a little more fruit loops in our lives.

15. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    That was good and unexpectedly kind of bittersweet at the end. It looks like his humor is his defense mechanism against all the war and hurt in the universe. Can't blame someone for wanting to be a frootloop in the midst of insanity...he'd probably be proven the sanest one among them..:p

16. LadyReva

LadyReva Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2011
    You do Wes justice. I always did see him as having more depth than he is usually given... how else would he survive as a fighter pilot for so long otherwise? To pilot anything like that, you not only need a healthy dose of humor, but also strength of character.

Kudos to you!

17. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    I really enjoyed this! I love your writing, great use of the quote and a perfectly rounded short piece. There was a bit of everything in there :)

18. Abeja

Abeja Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Great job on both replying to the challenge and offering such an interesting look at Wes. This story was so completely Wes- humorous, with a touch of sadness and a look at his true depths. Many people just write Wes the joker and although he certainly is a joker, there is much more to him than that. You captured that very well in my opinion. Very well-done, kudos to you! Loved the part with Inyri and Lieutenant Kettch, btw [face_laugh]

19. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    What a wonderful and bittersweet use of the quote! And I completely agree with the rationale. Humor does work quite well.

20. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I really liked this - great use of the quote and a very interesting look at Wes.

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Boy does that quote fit Wes Janson!

What a cute and funny little fic!

I loved the end especially the last line.

I agree that sometimes you have to use laughter to protect your self and other people. I work in a hospital, we do it most everyday; It might not always seem appropriate (we do know the right time and place, of course)but it is necessary.

Great job! =D=

22. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    How very poignant, yet humorous at the same time. Well done. :)

KT

23. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    That was so funny, so very Wes - such a Fruit Loop, alright.

And then... WHAM!!

Right between the eyes with the angst and the pain... and the absolute spot on explanation of why Wes Janson acts the way he does...

Yowser, JediMara... that was amazing...

24. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    So apparently I've never replied to comments! Bad me!!!! Thanks everyone for reading! I'm glad a lot of people enjoyed this little peek inside the head of Wes Janson. :D

Jade:

Wes is one of my favorite characters. His humor has always reminded me of Chandler from Friends - a self-defense mechanism against the horrors of war.

MJ:

I always did have a tinsy crush on that man...

I'm reading Starfighters of Adumar now and I will admit, the scene where he beats up that one guy made my stomach do little flippies. Then again I've always had a thing for the funny guys!

Ubersue:

Kudos to you for turning a story about Froot Loops into an affecting meditation on grief.

I did not expect to find myself typing that sentence today.

HA! Thank you. :D

Fels:

Thank you. :) Wes, for all his humor, has a very big heart.

Briannakin:

Thank you! I was going for the gut. :(

Lane:

Oh Wes. The psychological trauma you've caused.

I'm sure many a shrink in the Alliance/NR military had to deal with the after-effects of run-ins with Wes Janson.

YOU!

YOU WROTE INYRI/WES!

YOU ARE AMAZING!

Eeeee Inyri/Wes!

All for you. :D

Beautiful fic, Nanci. It's so very Wes, from the well known humorous exterior to the serious, insightful man that's buried within him.

You've got a tremendous talent with these pilots. I'd sure love to see more pilot fic from you

Thank you, and who knows, I may have another pilot fic in the works. ;)

dm1:

Actually, I guess that's a pretty healthy way to do it, although sometimes it also helps to lean on someone else.

I would imagine that Wes gets a lot of the support he needs from the Rogues. He doesn't seem like the type who'd need to be very open about his feelings. Just knowing that the other Rogues are there for him would be all that he needs.

Yub,yub!

Thanks! Yub yub, indeed!

Ceillean:

I can't help it...I swear I'm trying not to think of a hairy butt...I just can't help it.

"Nice rear, Leiutenant." :D

Ebony:

Thanks, and yes, you must love Wes!

Hazel:

He DOES rule.

pinkpearl:

Thank you!

Daena:

That Anakin would have that kind of an impact on someone... wow.

I think Anakin was just that kind of kid. His death even changed the course of a war. He was the only Solo kid that I'd grown attached to, and it was very sad to lose him.

Luna:

Just try to be unhappy after saying yub yub.

It's impossible! :D

obimom:

he'd probably be proven the sanest one among them..

I honestly think so. He's obviously the comedian of the Rogues, but there are many scenes where Allston shows his single-mindedness and how much of a fighter he really is. He's a true fighter, but he doesn't let it take away any of his humanity. As he wisely said to Myn Donos, "You can't look dignified when you're having fun."

Reva:

You do Wes justice. I always did see him as having more depth than he is usually given... how else would he survive as a fighter pilot for so long otherwise? To pilot anything like that, you not only need a healthy dose of humor, but also strength of character.

Thanks! And yes, that's exactly how I think of Wes. I think all of the Rogues use their character strengths to their advantage, to keep from going insane. For Hobbie it's his dourness, for Wes it's his humor.

serendipity:

Thank you! :)

Abeja:

Many people just write Wes the joker and although he certainly is a joker, there is much more to him than that. You captured that very well in my opinion.

Thank you! And yes, I completely agree. He's a very well-developed character.

SithGirl:

Thank you! Laughter is the best medicine. :)

Tarsier:

Thanks!

mavjade:

I agree that sometimes you have to use laughter to protec

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.